IGNORED

Game Debate #83: Katamari Damacy

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

This was the game that proved to me you really can have 100% completely crap graphics and if they gameplay really is good, you can get away with it.  It's a quirky story and concept but utterly addictive to roll up cows, people, lamp posts, cars, buildings... Germany!

I loved this game and I can still go back and enjoy it.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted

We Love Katamari was the first I played in the series and is objectively the better game, which made going back to this one a little tough since it lacked a few of the improvements in the sequel. Regardless though, it's a really great game. Easy to pick up and play for a few minutes, or to try and complete in a longer session (knowing where every single "item" is can be challenging). Big fan.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I gave it an 8.  I remember when it first came out, and it was just so unique and interesting, and a bit unlike any game I had played before!  I loved the incredibly goofy, colorful style, and it was just super fun to go around and explore the levels, collecting everything and getting bigger and bigger.  This game made me smile and laugh, and was just super fun.

Gameplay was definitely refined in some later sequels, but I definitely love this game, and definitely recommend it!

Events Team · Posted

I think I can go ahead put Katamari down for a 10.  It's one of the first games that come to mind when I think of the P2. 😏 

Katamari is of its own genre (you know, the roll stuff up in a ball genre) and completely unique.  Originality aside, it is the epitome of what a good video game should be: unique gameplay that is easy to learn but challenging to master, simple yet relatable characters, intriguing (and absurd) plot with plenty of humor, and levels that increase in size and challenge from the diminutive to a near inconceivable scope.  The sense of accomplishment is satisfying right from the get go and continues to reward the player to a ludicrous ending.

I've played all of the series and would probably go with We ❤ Katamari or Beautiful Katamari as the best of the bunch.  But my favorite level is the "8 bit" 2D level at the end of Me & My Katamari on the PSP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is one of those games I find super charming, and like the concept and love the soundtrack but I just don't find it all that fun to play. The controls are also unnecessarily awkward for some reason. I played through it twice most recently on Switch. I don't think it's bad, I even liked it in short bursts but I didn't love it and wished I liked it more than I actually did. 6/10

• 9 months later...

Sorry to keep digging up these old polls, but I like talking about games . . .

Katamari Damacy 10/10

• The quirky-weird story shouldn't work but it does
  • The weird controls shouldn't work but they do
  • The core concept shouldn't work but is absolutely awesome

This is also a game where people who don't like video games generally like this game.  Even people who complain about how they haven't played a game since they added a second button can somehow hold a dual shock for the first time and pick up a virtual staple and LOVE it.  My most recent experience with the game was with my older brother.  I was showing him how I modded up a PS2 and added a bunch of hard drive games.  He says "Does it have Katamari?  I loved playing that with my kids when they were little."

Yes it does bro, yes it does.

And a note about the sequels.  I've played a lot of them, but they never quite captured the magic of the original.  Can't put my finger on it, but it might be that such an original concept can only be truly experienced with the wonder and discovery of the first time.  I imagine that whoever plays this series probably appreciates the first game they played more than any others.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
28 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Katamari Damacy 10/10

This is also a game where people who don't like video games generally like this game.  Even people who complain about how they haven't played a game since they added a second button can somehow hold a dual shock for the first time and pick up a virtual staple and LOVE it.  My most recent experience with the game was with my older brother.  I was showing him how I modded up a PS2 and added a bunch of hard drive games.  He says "Does it have Katamari?  I loved playing that with my kids when they were little."

And a note about the sequels.  I've played a lot of them, but they never quite captured the magic of the original.  Can't put my finger on it, but it might be that such an original concept can only be truly experienced with the wonder and discovery of the first time.  I imagine that whoever plays this series probably appreciates the first game they played more than any others.

I'll quickly mirror what Reed already said - I like seeing them brought back up. By all means, comment on 'em all! 😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wongojack said:

Katamari Damacy 10/10

18 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

No way, keep at it.  They have no "sell by" date.

17 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'll quickly mirror what Reed already said - I like seeing them brought back up. By all means, comment on 'em all! 😄

I don't mind them either.  It's almost like our motto could be "VGS: We're not against necro-bumps!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
On 11/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, wongojack said:

Katamari Damacy 10/10

Thanks for bumping this.  I'm playing Katamari Reroll cause if it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Events Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Link said:

It's a video game FRANCHISE.

Yes, I'm sure he's at least aware of that much.  What I think Doug is getting at is, where do the Prince and the King of all Cosmos land among the Video Game Masters?  Or are they part of the League of Darkness?  🤔

@Mario_Friend1982 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1