IGNORED

Game Debate #213: Lunar: The Silver Star Story

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

I voted that I never played it but want to. But that's not entirely true. I played it a little bit many years ago. A friend lent it to me, I played it about an hour or so, and liked it but that wasn't enough to truly judge it. At any rate I do want to play it in its entirety at some point.

The prophecized dragon master recruits a band of stock archetypes to go perform local cave fetch quests at each town in the continent and save the world. Man, it is the most generic JRPG ever. Someone once told me but it helped establish those tropes but I’m not allowed to rate historical importance, sorry. You could also remove 75% of the NPCs in this game because every single one just parrots the same concerns. It has a lot of Working Designs silliness though. It’s fine. 6/10

So I played these Lunar games on the Playstation. I thought they had some charm due to the characters, but they weren't amazing. Also, some things about the game design slightly annoyed me, but knowing what I know now that could be due to Working Designs messing around with these games during the localization process like they notoriously did with a lot of games they got their hands on. Also, I know WD always felt the need to throw in unnecessary pop culture references into the games they localized. For that reason, I would like to play these games again if I could find versions of them that have been modified by fans to remove all of the changes by Working Designs. 

I think I'm going with 7 out of 10, but as I said I really would like the chance to re-evaluate these games by playing non-Working Designs versions of them. I feel like Grandia is when Game Arts really took things up a notch. Grandia was a fantastic RPG.

This was hyped up in a magazine (probably PSM since that was the one I had a sub too) and I remember buying it as an RPG guy for the PS1.  It sat in my CD wallet until I sold it. As was typical back then, I booted up the game and and played it until I was free to roam.  I did this for basically every RPG I got and then threw it on the queue, but I never got around to playing it.

I did watch the bonus features disc and IMHO, what made this game memorable was the anime cut scenes.  It was a 2D game but the FMVs seems to be top notch for what I was use too.

Anyway, I never did play a Working Designs game as a kid, but this was the closest.  The more I hear about their style of humor, though, the less inclined I am to think I'd like these games.  Regardless, exploring many of the OSTs for these WD titles has yielded a lot of really top-notch soundtracks that I frequently listen to.  Lunar is one of them, as is Albert Odyssey.  The later is probably my favorite OST for a game I've never played.

I’ve played this and 2 on PSX and I had a pretty good time playing through them.  Yeah it’s got a really generic feel about it but none of that I found unenjoyable.  The story kept me engaged enough that I finished them both.   Also I’ve got that sweet punching puppet that doesn’t store nicely anywhere and is begging to be found with the box crushed one day.  

I appreciate the Sega CD more than most (I was the only person I've ever met face-to-face that owned one in the '90s) but both then and now, my access to these games is pretty limited. I've heard of Lunar but never played it and it would honestly be near the bottom of an already low-priority list of games on a rather low-priority console.

Edited by Webhead123

Editorials Team · Posted

I played through on PSP.  I'm assuming that's at least in the ballpark enough to give the game a blanket score.  Mostly because I can't imagine any version does anything drastically different to rise above the core issues with the game.

I'm going 6/10.  That probably a bit higher than I'd score a game like Lufia or Breath of Fire, which sounds about right.  All offer the same kind of boiler-plate JRPG play that is basically trope at this point.  But I'd at least pick this game over those two.  That's still pretty middling for both a 16-bit game, and a JRPG.

I've dabbled a bit with some of them, but only the GBA Legend remake with a more streamined speed to the play is the one I put true time into and finished.  Sure you lose the voices, FMV, and a bit of the older jank the later release got but the core game is there.  I liked the story, the characters, and most of the rest.  A better than many JRPG for the time, so that's an easy 8.

Also if anyone cares the SCD version was ported to iOS and is still maintained, 9.99 to get it, rarely get a sale but it's intact videos etc and all.

8/10. The PS1 version got me into RPGs as a whole. It's  the reason I've figured out that my favorite type of game is a single player adventure I can just relax and play without too much thought. Great soundtrack, fun characters, and while a plot that is probably best if experienced as a teenager, and I was at the time. Maybe it hasn't aged as well as other RPGs from the era, but nostalgia glasses give this bad boy a score as high as it is.

Edited by Kguillemette