IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Updated my post to reflect the games moving forward from last year, new additions for this year (thus far), as well as one game from prior to the list's existence that I don't intend to restart but do intend to try to finish this year (Dragon Warrior II, I've been "stuck" at the super grindy last 1/4 for 3-4 years now).

I also added three games to the list that are either mostly or entirely open world, simply because I know that I'm going to end up playing them throughout the year, most likely a lot (Minecraft, 7 Days to Die, and Skyrim).  I figure I'll count those as "complete" if and when I hit the point in them that I've done everything I want to do in the existing world and either retire it or start up a new one.  Skyrim has an actual ending as far as the story is concerned, so I'll update it as tentatively complete if/when that happens, then totally complete once I finish or tire of all of the side quests, hunting game, etc.

Hopefully my non-standard entries don't step on any toes or put any noses out of joint.  They're games that I either knew I would be playing (instead of what I was supposed to be in 2021, lol), or had started long ago but really wanted to see them through without having to go through the total slogfest of starting from scratch.  Fingers crossed I'll be able to push some more broken down cars over the finish line this year!  😆

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Beat Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2! 😄

Prob gonna keep playing it to 100%, I love this game! 

PXL_20220102_234514405.jpg

Maybe the GOAT of "sports" games. The addition of the manual was an absolute game changer and made this feel like a truly revolutionary sequel. I can't even estimate how many hours I spent on this masterpiece when it was released for the Dreamcast.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Maybe the GOAT of "sports" games. The addition of the manual was an absolute game changer and made this feel like a truly revolutionary sequel. I can't even estimate how many hours I spent on this masterpiece when it was released for the Dreamcast.

For sure, manuals allow you to string ridiculous combos, but still requires skill. It's easily my favorite sport game, and potentially objectively the best ever. 

first game off the list is complete. Luigi's Mansion (GameCube). I received Luigi's Mansion 3 as an X-Mas present, so figured i better play through 1 & 2 before starting it. Here's what i posted on the FB:

I beat this back in 2001-2002 when it was current, but i hadn't played it since (it's been 20 years? that's absolutely crazy!)
this game is alright. it's very limited as far as what you can do, so the mechanics get repetitive pretty quickly. My hand is cramped from the weird choice of how you need to press/hold buttons. it is a very linear game, as each room gives you a key to unlock the next room. but it does have some challenge, as sometimes you have to put some puzzle pieces together to find out how to progress.
an interesting concept and good design on the enemies, but ultimately it feels kind of bland. i'm hoping the sequels can improve on the formula.

20220102_191452.jpg

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Huh.  I was pretty sure I got 100% with every character once upon a time (I know I got every single frickin' gap), but I don't actually remember that level.  Maybe I just got far enough to get each of their ending videos...

Every gap unlocks Private Carrera, the only person you DON'T have to 100% to unlock the space level. You need to 100% everyone else though, including Officer Dick and Spiderman. 

There's also a very small helicopter level which I don't recall how it's unlocked. 

First game down for the year. Blazed through Metroid Dread. Absolutely loved this game and it has moved up as one of my favourite Metroid games (still like Super Metroid and Prime more). 

Don’t really understand all the complaints about it being hard though. Maybe compared to most Metroid games but I never had any difficulties besides one of the earlier bosses.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
19 hours ago, Gloves said:

Beat Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2! 😄

Prob gonna keep playing it to 100%, I love this game!

18 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Maybe the GOAT of "sports" games. The addition of the manual was an absolute game changer and made this feel like a truly revolutionary sequel.

Manuals are weak - CasualCart pro skater reporting for duty!

-CasualCart

• Wow! 3
  • Haha 2

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@CasualCart Some day you need to show off your colorful pants collection

On 11/1/2020 at 4:07 PM, CasualCart said:

I've got pants for days, bro.
(and apparently this is how I'm wasting my extra free-time now that Ink-tober is over haha)

-CasualCart

1004207416_PantsforDays.jpg.9feab7c38233f2980211951dc1c78ae3.jpg

• Love 2

Ugh. Hopefully I'm not too late. I'm probably too late. Oh well. I had this list made up before the 1st and didn't actually find the thread to post it. It's also a bit unconventional. Instead of specifics, I've decided to try to go for genres of games on specific consoles. That way I don't feel as forced to play games that I might otherwise not feel like. I'm also going to try to go back and replay some favorites that I haven't been playing because I've been forcing myself to play new games. It's been too long since I've visited some of my old friends.

I have been and will be participating in various "beat all the games" threads to keep me motivated. I'll also be using their "beat" criteria for games, as necessary. 

The goal is 20 games across the listed consoles, including 5 10 25 50 import games. However, I'd like to see a number way closer to 50 100 150 200 222. Current count is 222, with 58 import games. As of August 5 and the completion of Time Gal, my backlog challenge is done. As of December 12 and the completion of Samurai Shodown 3, my final stretch goal for the year is done.

Edit: Additional goal - beat more games than I buy this year. I've bought 101 games this year. So far so good.

Genres (beaten)

• 6 shmups
  • 1 pinball game
  • 6 platformers
  • 1 RPG/SRPG
  • 2 sports games
  • 1 puzzle game
  • 3 action/adventure games

Consoles/Games (beaten)

• 4 NES games/Famicom games (Contra, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun, Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, Golf, Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach, Pinball, Double Dribble, Soccer, Blades of Steel, Tecmo Bowl, Metal Storm, Bomberman, Pinball Quest, Pin Bot, Baseball Stars, Kirby's Adventure, Wagyan Land, Mappy Kids, Kiteretsu Daihyakka, Devil World, Sanrio Cup Pon Pon Volley, Mini-Putt, Bomberman II)
  • 3 Game Boy games (Nekketsu Koukou Dodge Ball-Bu: Kyōteki! Dodge Senshi no Maki, Revenge of the Gator, Pac-Man, Blades of Steel, Goal!, Mario's Picross, Bubble Bobble Part 2, Fortified Zone, Daedalian Opus, Mole Mania, Pokemon Blue, Nemesis, Marble Madness, Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby's Star Stacker, R-Type, Final Fantasy Adventure, Seaside Volley (Malibu Beach Volleyball), Boxing (Heavyweight Championship Boxing), Dodge Boy, Roadster, Soccer (DMG-GSA), R-Type II, Battle Dodge Ball, Taiyou no Yuusha Fighbird GB, Yoshi no Panepon, Zoop, Pitman, Kwirk, After Burst, Wedding Peach: Jamapii Panic, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth 2nd: The Missing Colors, Final Reverse, Ultraman: Chou Toushi Gekiden, Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-Kun (Kid Dracula), Donkey Kong, Operation C, Ninja Gaiden Shadow, Painter Momopie, Nekketsu Koukou Soccer-Bu: World Cup Hen)
  • 2 SNES games (Kirby Super Star, Tenchi Muyo Game-Hen, Pilotwings, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Super S: Fuwa Fuwa Panic, Tetris Battle Gaiden, Panel de Pon, Tetris Attack, Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle, Doomsday Warrior, Super V.G., Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Bowling, Super Chinese Fighter, Sugoi Hebereke, On the Ball, Sanrio World Smash Ball!, Super Tekkyu Fight, Trump Island, Magical Drop 2, Araiguma Rascal: Raccoon Rascal, Super Bomberman, Super Bomberman 2, Super Puyo Puyo, Super Puyo Puyo Tsuu)
  • 2 SMS games (Asterix, Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars, Scramble Spirits, Bubble Bobble, Putt & Putter, Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic The Hedgehog 2)
  • 2 Genesis games (Columns, NBA Jam, NBA Jam Tournament Edition, Blockout, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2, Super Street Fighter 2, Columns III, Valis, Syd of Valis, Phelios, Skeleton Krew, Marvel Land, Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine, Primal Rage, Mortal Kombat)
  • 1 Sega CD game (Time Gal, Brutal: Paws of Fury)
  • 1 Saturn game (Fighting VipersVirtua Fighter 2Fighters MegamixGalaxy Fight, Elan Doree, Joshi Takau no Houkago: Pukunpa, Gals Panic SS, Tsuukai!! Slot Shooting, Sakura Taisen: Hanagumi Taisen Columns)
  • 1 Dreamcast game (Plasma Sword, Psychic Force 2012)
  • 2 PS4 games (New Super Lucky's Tale, Demon's Tier +, Null Drifter, Miss Koboyashi's Dragon Maid: Burst Forth!! Choro-gon Breath, Blade Strangers, Katamari Damacy Reroll, Capcom Fighting Collection [Pocket fighter, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo, Red Earth], Nitroplus Blasterz, Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late[cl-r], Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma Extend, Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle, Creature in the Well, Granblue Fantasy Versus)
  • 2 Switch games (Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny, Jump King, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond, New Pokemon Snap, SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy, What the Golf, A Little Golf Journey)

Other games beaten this year:

• DS - (Might and Magic Clash of Heroes,  Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales, Windy X Windam, Electroplankton, Witch's Wish, Ontamarama, Game & Watch Collection, Game & Watch Collection 2, Meteos, Zoo Keeper, Tetris DS, Pokemon Trozei!, Pokemon Dash, Guilty Gear Dust Strikers)
  • 3DS (Tetris: Axis, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition)
  • Game Gear (Putt & Putter, Halley Wars, Clutch Hitter, Scratch Golf, NBA Jam, Wimbledon Tennis, Tengen World Cup Soccer, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Chaos, Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Blast, Sonic 2, Sonic Spinball, Joe Montana Football)
  • GBA (Super Dodge Ball Advance, Puyo Pop, River City Ransom EX)
  • GBC (R-Type DX, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Pokemon Puzzle Challenge, Snoopy Tennis)
  • N64 (Pokemon Puzzle League, Bomber Man 64: The Second Attack, Dr. Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., Mario Tennis, Yoshi's Story)
  • PS Vita (Drive Girls)
  • PS3 (Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, Shin Koihime Musou: Otome Taisen Sangokushi Engi, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Blazblue: Calamity Trigger, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter IV, Virtua Fighter 5, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Street Fighter X Tekken, Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, Blazblue Chrono Phantasma, Katamari Forever)
  • PS2 (Samurai Shodown Anthology [1,2,3,4,5,6])
Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

Ugh. Hopefully I'm not too late. I'm probably too late. Oh well. I had this list made up before the 1st and didn't actually find the thread to post it. It's also a bit unconventional. Instead of specifics, I've decided to try to go for genres of games on specific consoles. That way I don't feel as forced to play games that I might otherwise not feel like. I'm also going to try to go back and replay some favorites that I haven't been playing because I've been forcing myself to play new games. It's been too long since I've visited some of my old friends.

I have been and will be participating in various "beat all the games" threads to keep me motivated. I'll also be using their "beat" criteria for games, as necessary. 

The goal is 20 games across the listed consoles, including 5 import games. However, I'd like to see a number way closer to 50. Current count is 13, with 2 import games.

Genres (beaten):

• 6 shmups
  • 1 pinball game (Pinball
  • 6 platformers (Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3)
  • 1 RPG/SRPG
  • 2 sports games (Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach, Golf, Super Dodge Ball)
  • 1 puzzle game (Tetris)
  • 3 action/adventure games (Contra, River City Ransom)

Consoles (beaten):

• 4 NES games/Famicom games (Contra, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., River City Ransom, Super Dodge Ball, Tetris, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun, Kyatto Ninden Teyandee, Golf, Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach, Pinball)
  • 3 Game Boy games
  • 2 SNES games
  • 2 SMS games
  • 2 Genesis games
  • 1 Sega CD game
  • 1 Saturn game
  • 1 Dreamcast game
  • 2 PS4 games
  • 2 Switch games

Completed so far:

NES

• Bandai Golf: Challenge Pebble Beach (+12 - I really like this game. It's very well designed considering its age.)
  • Contra (1cc - been too long since I've played this one.)
  • Donkey Kong (Things start getting serious on that third loop...)
  • Donkey Kong Jr. (I think I like this game more than the OG Donkey Kong.)
  • Golf (+21 - Damn this game is more unforgiving than I remember. I gotta try to do better at some point.)
  • Pinball (266,550 - Made the flippers disappear. Almost all of the points were one lucky ball.)
  • River City Ransom (One of my absolute faves. I couldn't stop smiling while Kunio was eating sodas.)
  • Super Dodge Ball (Difficult difficulty and Bean Ball - So many memories. Such great music.)
  • Super Mario Bros. (This one controls a little worse than I remember. Feels like some of my quick jumps didn't register after landing, and I feel like I got hit a few times I shouldn't have.)
  • Super Mario Bros. 3 (Still insanely good, but now I need to play World to see which I like more.)
  • Tetris (123,000 - largest rocket - I suck at these games that are derivatives of geometry. Math still haunting me to this day!)

Famicom

• Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun (I hate you space elevator. Really interesting platformer, otherwise.)
  • Kyatto Ninden Teyandee (So forgiving. So cute. Even the spikes aren't 1-hit deaths.)

It's never too late for videogames. I acknowledge and respect your list.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

You peeps already knocking stuff out, wow! hahaha.  Barely into the year!

I did start Shin Megami Tensei V on my list - so far enjoying it - delivering exactly the style I can expect out of a SMT game.  I am really digging some of the characters so far - excited to see where it goes!

Events Helper · Posted
33 minutes ago, spacepup said:

You peeps already knocking stuff out, wow! hahaha.  Barely into the year!

I did start Shin Megami Tensei V on my list - so far enjoying it - delivering exactly the style I can expect out of a SMT game.  I am really digging some of the characters so far - excited to see where it goes!

nice, i got trapped into borderlands mode, playing a bit of 3 right now.  First playthrough, i sneakily put it on my list 😉  

• Like 1