IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Administrator · Posted

Thanks everyone for participating again this year - some fun lists for sure!

Not sure where to start? Well, I went through the lists so far, and picked out some of my personal recommendations, based off games I have beaten and REALLY really like.  Feel free to ignore, but just for fun, here goes!

@Reed Rothchild -- Maximo!  I really enjoy this game - it is a super fun, quirky, action platformer that just has a lot of personality and style.  I don't hear many talk about it, but I love the series and have all the games.  I hope you enjoy it!

@Gloves -- Super Mario Galaxy!  It is one of my favorite 3d mario games, and it was just a ton of fun to play.  Some people feel limited by the worlds not being huge and open, but I thought it was a very interesting take on a 3d platformer, and just a lot of fun.

@Renmauzo -- Wild Arms!  It is a really neat western/style RPG and has some interesting characters and a great soundtrack.  The battle system may look a bit old at this point, but I think it's a fun game.  Runner-up - Zelda: Minish Cap!  Such an interesting take on the zelda series, and super cute.

@peg -- DoDonPachi 2!  Just a classic series that most shooter fans will want to have played at some point.

@0xDEAFC0DE -- Duck Tales!  This is the year - beat this one!  It is a really charming game with a good soundtrack, and also pretty simple to beat, so it should be very achievable.

@Californication -- Sparkster!  Another one that is a pretty simple, not too difficult action game, that is fun and a bit unique in ways.  

@ifightdragons -- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow!  It is a fantastic game with the spirit of Symphony of the Night.  A great one.

@Jeevan -- Luigi's Mansion 3!  It's just such a great example of Luigi's Mansion, and adorable.  I really enjoyed it.

@Sumez -- Psychonauts!  It is one of my favorite games -- I LOVE the characters and the story - super quirky, good little sense of humor, and some fun action elements as well.  I really really enjoy this one.

@fox -- Duck Tales!  For the same reasons I gave above - Make it happen 2022!

@Brickman -- Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom!  This is actually one of my favorite Switch games to date.  It is a really fun platformer / metroidvania / whatever, and SUPER charming and adorable.

@DoctorEncore -- Final Fantasy XII!  12 was my favorite of the PS2 games, and it is available on a variety of platforms.  I really enjoyed this one.

@FireHazard51 -- Overcooked 2!  Let's do it!

@RH -- Super Mario 64.  Just....yeah, gotta beat that.  SM64 is just classic.

@Mr. CIB -- your list says "Reserved" so my suggestion is to make your list. 🙂

@darkchylde28 -- Zelda II! It already says in progress, but yeah, I love Zelda II, even more than 1 (shhh!)

@Webhead123 -- your list says "Reserved" so my suggestion is to make your list. 🙂

@ScaryD - Lufia II! - I enjoyed the Lufia series quite a bit.  They got lost in the mix of great SNES RPGs, but I enjoyed them.

@Murray -- Okami! 😠 -- or if not that, Persona 4 which you already started - I loved P3 and P4 also!

@MagusSmurf -- Ar Tonelico II!  This game surprised me - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and hope you do too!

@Jicsan -- Kirby's Adventure!  It is just a classic NES game and it is super easy, so shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.  It's a super playful, pretty game too.

@monkeybut625 -- Rocket Knight Adventures!  Like Sparkster above, it is just a really quirky little playful action platformer, and it is pretty fun and not too complicated.

@SailorScoutMandy -- Skyrim!  Make it happen!  It's a fun game, great world to explore around.

@drxandy -- Bravely Default 2! You didn't give me much to work with here, but yea! 🙂

@Floating Platforms -- Metroid! It's just a classic.  

@Kguillemette -- Columns 3! I LOVED this game on Genesis, and played the heck out of it as a kid.  A great falling blocks puzzle game, with some fun music and theme.

@Splain -- Sonic The Hedgehog 2!  Of the classic series, this one was my absolute favorite and I played it a billion times growing up. 

@MegaMan52 -- Metroid Prime!  I thought it was a fantastic foray into 3d for the Metroid series, and really really liked this on Gamecube.  I highly recommend.

@twiztor -- Luigi's Mansion 3!  It is mentioned above, but yeah, just a great great example for the series, and super fun on Switch.

@G-type -- Super Metroid!  It is again, a classic.  If you like metroidvania's, this one is just awesome.  Great fun and exploration.

@Philosoraptor -- your 'list' confuses me a bit, but it looks like you are making super fast progress, so just have fun!

I've beaten all of the above mentioned games, and enjoyed them all quite a bit.  Maybe you'll love them, maybe you won't, but just wanted to share some personal suggestions for fun!  Whatever you decide to start with or play, just have a good time with it! Hopefully you can beat some games that you've been wanting to for a long time. 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 4

48 minutes ago, spacepup said:

@Philosoraptor -- your 'list' confuses me a bit, but it looks like you are making super fast progress, so just have fun!

Hahaha! Fair. It's a new thing I'm trying out this year. Like, I've told myself for over a decade that I should beat a Castlevania game, a 2D Sonic game, a 2D Metroid game, and a Mega Man game. I own more than 50 games that fit those criteria, and I've made it a goal in several past years, but I've never actually done it or even put any of those games in the console. I always end up playing other games that catch my eye in the moment.

I think a portion of it is because I'm impulsive and my backlog can give me choice paralysis. I also think it's a "homework" sorta thing for me; if it's something I make myself do or feel like I have to do, I'll procrastinate or just not do it. I've tried to give myself enough freedom to pick what I want off my shelf without making it too restrictive. Plus, I can play new games or great recommendations, like yours for Sparkster, DoDonPachi 2, and Maximo, without derailing my end-of-year goals.

This is my 7th year making a list/New Year's resolution to beat a number of games. It's always 20, and I've failed the last three years for various reasons. So far I've been motivated, but we'll see if it continues throughout the year.

Edit: phrasing

Edited by Philosoraptor

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

it's on switch in HD, same one?

Yes, that is the same game, just remastered a bit.  It's available on all sorts of platforms.  Initially came out on PS2, then Wii, and the HD remake is out on PS3/Xbox/PC/Switch.  

So, I legit want to know what his preferred platform is for it 🙂

• Like 1

I'm not making a list this year, but one goal that I will set for my self is to finally 100% Breath of the Wild.  I got back into it late last year and I'm working on completing the stuff that I never finished.  

I'm close.  I've completed everything in the DLC that was added to the game.  In the original part of the game, I just need to find around 500 korok seeds, locate a few more map locations, and drop 3 seconds off my horse obstacle course time.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Yes, that is the same game, just remastered a bit.  It's available on all sorts of platforms.  Initially came out on PS2, then Wii, and the HD remake is out on PS3/Xbox/PC/Switch.  

So, I legit want to know what his preferred platform is for it 🙂

just making sure, didn't know if he wanted it on that platform lol

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

Thanks everyone for participating again this year - some fun lists for sure!

Not sure where to start? Well, I went through the lists so far, and picked out some of my personal recommendations, based off games I have beaten and REALLY really like.  Feel free to ignore, but just for fun, here goes!

@Reed Rothchild -- Maximo!  I really enjoy this game - it is a super fun, quirky, action platformer that just has a lot of personality and style.  I don't hear many talk about it, but I love the series and have all the games.  I hope you enjoy it!

@Gloves -- Super Mario Galaxy!  It is one of my favorite 3d mario games, and it was just a ton of fun to play.  Some people feel limited by the worlds not being huge and open, but I thought it was a very interesting take on a 3d platformer, and just a lot of fun.

@Renmauzo -- Wild Arms!  It is a really neat western/style RPG and has some interesting characters and a great soundtrack.  The battle system may look a bit old at this point, but I think it's a fun game.  Runner-up - Zelda: Minish Cap!  Such an interesting take on the zelda series, and super cute.

@peg -- DoDonPachi 2!  Just a classic series that most shooter fans will want to have played at some point.

@0xDEAFC0DE -- Duck Tales!  This is the year - beat this one!  It is a really charming game with a good soundtrack, and also pretty simple to beat, so it should be very achievable.

@Californication -- Sparkster!  Another one that is a pretty simple, not too difficult action game, that is fun and a bit unique in ways.  

@ifightdragons -- Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow!  It is a fantastic game with the spirit of Symphony of the Night.  A great one.

@Jeevan -- Luigi's Mansion 3!  It's just such a great example of Luigi's Mansion, and adorable.  I really enjoyed it.

@Sumez -- Psychonauts!  It is one of my favorite games -- I LOVE the characters and the story - super quirky, good little sense of humor, and some fun action elements as well.  I really really enjoy this one.

@fox -- Duck Tales!  For the same reasons I gave above - Make it happen 2022!

@Brickman -- Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom!  This is actually one of my favorite Switch games to date.  It is a really fun platformer / metroidvania / whatever, and SUPER charming and adorable.

@DoctorEncore -- Final Fantasy XII!  12 was my favorite of the PS2 games, and it is available on a variety of platforms.  I really enjoyed this one.

@FireHazard51 -- Overcooked 2!  Let's do it!

@RH -- Super Mario 64.  Just....yeah, gotta beat that.  SM64 is just classic.

@Mr. CIB -- your list says "Reserved" so my suggestion is to make your list. 🙂

@darkchylde28 -- Zelda II! It already says in progress, but yeah, I love Zelda II, even more than 1 (shhh!)

@Webhead123 -- your list says "Reserved" so my suggestion is to make your list. 🙂

@ScaryD - Lufia II! - I enjoyed the Lufia series quite a bit.  They got lost in the mix of great SNES RPGs, but I enjoyed them.

@Murray -- Okami! 😠 -- or if not that, Persona 4 which you already started - I loved P3 and P4 also!

@MagusSmurf -- Ar Tonelico II!  This game surprised me - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and hope you do too!

@Jicsan -- Kirby's Adventure!  It is just a classic NES game and it is super easy, so shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.  It's a super playful, pretty game too.

@monkeybut625 -- Rocket Knight Adventures!  Like Sparkster above, it is just a really quirky little playful action platformer, and it is pretty fun and not too complicated.

@SailorScoutMandy -- Skyrim!  Make it happen!  It's a fun game, great world to explore around.

@drxandy -- Bravely Default 2! You didn't give me much to work with here, but yea! 🙂

@Floating Platforms -- Metroid! It's just a classic.  

@Kguillemette -- Columns 3! I LOVED this game on Genesis, and played the heck out of it as a kid.  A great falling blocks puzzle game, with some fun music and theme.

@Splain -- Sonic The Hedgehog 2!  Of the classic series, this one was my absolute favorite and I played it a billion times growing up. 

@MegaMan52 -- Metroid Prime!  I thought it was a fantastic foray into 3d for the Metroid series, and really really liked this on Gamecube.  I highly recommend.

@twiztor -- Luigi's Mansion 3!  It is mentioned above, but yeah, just a great great example for the series, and super fun on Switch.

@G-type -- Super Metroid!  It is again, a classic.  If you like metroidvania's, this one is just awesome.  Great fun and exploration.

I've beaten all of the above mentioned games, and enjoyed them all quite a bit.  Maybe you'll love them, maybe you won't, but just wanted to share some personal suggestions for fun!  Whatever you decide to start with or play, just have a good time with it! Hopefully you can beat some games that you've been wanting to for a long time. 🙂

Thanks for the rec, dude! I'm probably gonna start with FFX once I clearly my currently playing games, but I really really hope to get through FFXII this year. I'll probably bounce between FF and LoZ games.

On 1/2/2022 at 7:19 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Maybe the GOAT of "sports" games. The addition of the manual was an absolute game changer and made this feel like a truly revolutionary sequel. I can't even estimate how many hours I spent on this masterpiece when it was released for the Dreamcast.

I would argue that THPS2 was so revolutionary, it established its own genre outside of sports. It really was a masterpiece that caught the attention of even a non-skater like myself. Part of me wants to add one of the Undergrounds for GameCube to my list now! Maybe it will just be some extra credit if I do enough damage to the list I already made!

• Agree 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

Huge shout out to spacepup for the personal recommendations! I'm putting Aria of Sorrow on the top to make sure I get to it.

Can confirm, that game is great.  I've played through every modern Castlevania and it has a claim for being the best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@spacepup To be clear, I 100% the original.  I bought an N64 on launch day, along with SM64.  It was the only game I had for a couple months, so I got all 120 stars.

I just got the 3D remaster, started it and I'm about 20 stars shy of the final Bowser battle.  I just want to finish what I started in late-2019.

@spacepupcleared Ducktales already this year as part of the NES completion thread.  An oldie but goodie.

Started Guardians of the Galaxy and am digging it a lot.  Tried Death’s Door but wasn’t really feeling it.   Maybe it picks up later? Anything else on my switch list I should crack into?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I would argue that THPS2 was so revolutionary, it established its own genre outside of sports. It really was a masterpiece that caught the attention of even a non-skater like myself. Part of me wants to add one of the Undergrounds for GameCube to my list now! Maybe it will just be some extra credit if I do enough damage to the list I already made!

100% agree. It created this amazing new type of game by blending puzzle, action, rhythm, and time trial together into one package. It is probably one of the most addictive single player games I've ever played. I'm too scared to even try the remaster for fear of losing 100 hours of my life.

It's a bummer that it gets lumped into the "action sports" genre which is mostly filled with crud.

Edited by DoctorEncore