IGNORED

Remove cello or not from Cardboard genesis game

You nerds are out there slap fighting over pop reports and million dollar games, Im over here stealing sharp cardboard genny bangers for cheap

Keep the cello? Or cut it off?I like the KB sticker, but the cello is really restricting and tight on the box. Even starting to bow in.  The cello did protect the box pretty well though. It will go in a box protector. 

thoughts?

55C2B2DA-A553-46C0-8E55-95B8EDC89DAC.jpeg.15fdf3969ddd5272d19bb0d03e4bf2a5.jpeg2F5B7399-470C-4952-A69C-EF63D52BA6D1.jpeg.229ff894c5761c14ca7d1c229017c179.jpeg8582D601-E3B2-412F-93C4-409595034006.jpeg.1e3daa4302011f3f059f120ddabd9cfb.jpeg

• Like 3

W.e keeps that KB sticker in tact in get my vote.

Usually I like the way boxes look in cellophane. I think this looks good on the box but you're right the edges do look like the wrapper has a death grip on it. If it's going to come off that's going to get the Christmas morning treatment. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted

It is already open? In these scenarios, I always remove the remaining seal and put the game in a box protector if I want to protect it.  I just don't really like the look of the loose cello.

You could always cut off the sticker and include it somewhere, if you really want to keep it.  But personally, I'd toss that plastic in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, spacepup said:

It is already open? In these scenarios, I always remove the remaining seal and put in a box protector if I want to protect it.  I just don't really like the look of the loose cello.

You could always cut off the sticker and include it somewhere, if you really want to keep it.  But personally, I'd toss that plastic in a heartbeat.

100% open. I might just cut the sticker out and throw it in the box protector, great idea. 

• Like 1

That lame seal is no longer a seal but a slowly moving VICE on your flimsy genesis box on a very very nice game. Whether you care about value or not, it shouldn't matter, not in this case, because at some point the remains of that wrap are going to compromise the box enough to the point where it'll permanently damage the actual box ruining just now excellent the condition of it all is in.  Personally I'd slice that crap off there, presentation value is more worth it.  Get one of those clear hard plastic tabbed box protectors and be done with it.

Right now you're starting to bow not just the big flat faces of it but the more likely to crease sides.  Do the right thing, free it to save it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I prefer to keep price stickers whenever applicable. However if the seal looks like doing too much damage to the box, then the seal needs to be terminated. 

Preserving the box is more important than preserving the price sticker - better for display and resell purposes. Incidentally, that’s the first I’ve seen of the Genesis version of this game. Really badass cover, much cooler than the Pal version for sure!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GPX said:

I prefer to keep price stickers whenever applicable. However if the seal looks like doing too much damage to the box, then the seal needs to be terminated. 

Preserving the box is more important than preserving the price sticker - better for display and resell purposes. Incidentally, that’s the first I’ve seen of the Genesis version of this game. Really badass cover, much cooler than the Pal version for sure!

53 minutes ago, portabello said:

If it were in my collection I would remove the cello but cut out and keep the sticker inside the box.

I know I responded once but these are basically my sentiments.  We all have our own, personal goals and desires for our stuff and for me, keeping stuff as original as possible, without compromise to the condition of the item is critical.  This means that with rare exceptions, removing opened shrink wrap like this makes sense.  If the box had been kept in a properly climate controlled room and hadn't further shrank and contorted the box, I'd be 100% in the camp saying leave it on.  But all though that KB sticker is super cool on a pre-opened cello wrapper, as you and others have pointed out, it's damaging the box and this could possibly get worse with time.

The "damage" was done when the game was opened so the shrink wrap isn't incidental but does not have to stay in place, considering the state of the wrapper in relation to the box.  This is why I'd vote to try to slide if off, or apply minimal cuts to the wrapping to be able to slide it off, then fold it and put it in the box.

And if the cello is extra-crispy and falling apart, then yes, possibly cutting out the KB sticker (with some cello around the edges) makes sense and, again, just throw it in the box or if you get an acrylic case, put in the back where there's least likely to be light shining on the sticker, but it's still visible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I used to take them off but now I keep them for the vaaaaalue. But for Light Crusader I still might take it off since it's common sealed and it's a slide box. But you get the prestigious ugly shrink wrap on the side look if you keep it, so meh still keep it. So prestigious.

Do you honestly think it adds value? I cant sense your sarcasm here lol

Anyways, i took it off. Feels way mintier in the box protector though

DACE7678-913E-4A2E-929F-6D82B4DF2CFC.jpeg.9f10617b327a7af554138ad2caed1899.jpegE8793F75-247C-42DC-8D2E-57C0F9390E2F.jpeg.cd35165fb726c5bd790e753ff310e960.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

Administrator · Posted

It looks way better visually without the seal, and arguably will keep it in better shape now.

There wouldn't have even been a question here in my mind.  I knew people paid a premium for sealed games of course, but I had no idea people really valued partial seals much.  I've thrown away tons of these on games I've received.  Oh well, hah!  I mean, I don't regret it at all or anything, cause I think they are ugly to me personally, but it's definitely interesting to see the different perspectives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

It looks way better visually without the seal, and arguably will keep it in better shape now.

There wouldn't have even been a question here in my mind.  I knew people paid a premium for sealed games of course, but I had no idea people really valued partial seals much.  I've thrown away tons of these on games I've received.  Oh well, hah!  I mean, I don't regret it at all or anything, cause I think they are ugly to me personally, but it's definitely interesting to see the different perspectives.

Me neither. Like I said before, most people collecting sealed want minty wraps, anything else is basically the same as minty CIB

44 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Personally I think CIB with cello slit only to open is a thing of beauty. For yourself sure, do what you prefer. If this were Crusader of Centy though, it'd be "worth" it for you to leave it on.

If the cut was done better, or the cello in better shape, I would agree. But since this is a 60$ game, with a somewhat beat wrapper, the game will display better without it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

I guess it's just a preference thing.  I have Crusader of Centy boxed and it is one of my favorite pieces.  It isn't sealed, but if it had a torn seal like that, I'd still rip it off and toss it in the trash.  I actually prefer the look of nonsealed games much better, as they look "cleaner" than with random seals of different kinds, that mess with the lighting and sometimes have wrinkles and holes, etc etc.  

All preference I guess.

• Agree 1