IGNORED

Wata NES pop report now available

inasuma

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

What I’m trying to say is that I feel you’re making generalizations which isn’t furthering discussions. With your repeated arguments regarding 3-figure games, you’re paradoxically inviting people to spend less while you say you don’t care what high-end sealed collectors think. The reality is that collectors of any collectibles who have been spending 4,5-figures are unlikely to backtrack to 3-figure spending. That being said, I am under no illusion that there needs to be caution with spending with the market currently being where it is.

GPX, I haven't seen even one of the market manipulators do anything to further discussion. Look at Gulag Joe's last few posts. Isn't this sort of gaslighting someone who's trying to engage while letting bad actors go unremarked upon? I think so.

Anyway, good luck with... {waves hands}... whatever this thread is supposed to be now.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

To the bulls, collectors will only ever want sealed games and a $40 used substitute for a $20,000 new game is just unacceptable, so there are only 10 copies on Earth or whatever. That's why card people are like "Omg, this is 1000x rarer than Jordans"

To the bears, paying $20,000 for the best condition mass produced thing is crazy because it's not some 1/1 unique thing like original art. There could be 250 SMB3s or there could be 5 and the argument would be "Well there isn't ONE". Just look at the latest Reserved Investments, where he talks about there being 20 Castlevanias like it's all the copies in the world to go around. There's no substitute for OG art baby.

Both sides will repeat arguments like this forever regardless of what the pop report says. The pop report is basically meaningless, lol.

I think pop reports are only meaningful to those who are active in that portion of the hobby, specific to the game/condition. 

If say, you never intend to buy a sealed game, the pop report of a sealed Mario or Barbie becomes meaningless. 

If say, you only ever want to buy a game of condition 9.0 or above, then any game with lesser condition becomes meaningless (regardless of title).

etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExplodedHamster said:

RareBucky would rather eat himself slowly than cross a single game to WATA haha. He is firmly Team VGA. He has sold a lot to people who have, though.

does he even sell graded games anymore? haven't seen him post one in a long. now he seems to just sell sealed games with defects.

1 hour ago, RETRO said:

I see why we're talking past one another. OK, so here are the categories of people who collect video games:

1. THE GAMER. Collects video games by buying, opening, and playing any game they want to own. They are not interested in games they don't enjoy playing, or sealed/graded games in any capacity.
2. THE CASUAL COLLECTOR. Collects graded but unsealed games (CIBs) because they are more accessible financially. They tend to be three-figure collectors and tend to buy games they love.
3. THE COMMITTED COLLECTOR. Collects sealed and graded games but, because they aren't a reseller, they have to be frugal—as every purchase is a straight "loss" of money. They tend to be three-figure collectors and tend to buy games they personally love.
4. THE RESELLER. Will buy anything they can profit from, for whatever console and in whatever condition and in whatever submarket (CIB or sealed). A small number of games they personally love they hold back for their PC (personal collection), but they would pretty much sell anything for the right price so they always want and need the market to go up—they can't keep buying games otherwise (because they need the money from sales to do so).
5. THE INVESTOR. Only buys high-grade sealed because they are seeking a high middle- or long-term profit.

So, let's imagine someone who loves DW1.

98% of the time (estimate) that means they're a gamer, and they "collected" DW1 by buying and opening and playing it.

Maybe 1.5% of the time, a DW1 lover is a collector-class individual—which means they either bought a CIB or a sealed copy that was nice enough for display (say WATA 8.5 and above, but no need whatsoever for a 9.6 or 9.8 investment-grade article).

Maybe 0.5% of the time, the DW1 lover is a seller or investor. The seller just needs something they can sell at a profit, which is likely (like the collector, albeit for different reasons) anything above an 8.5 WATA.

Only the investor needs that 9.6 or 9.8, but they should also realize that their consumer base is almost non-existent.

It's also only the investor who really cares about "historical significance," as everyone else either buys a game because they love it (THE GAMER, THE CASUAL COLLECTOR, and THE COMMITTED COLLECTOR) or because they think others do, regardless of the game's "historical significance" (THE RESELLER).

I would take Arkista's Ring over Dragon Warrior 10 times out of 10 because I'm a collector and I like Arkista's Ring way more as a game. Like way more. Most sealed and graded video game buyers are like me: they buy what they like. And with 700+ NES games, the chance that Dragon Warrior is among their favorites is still quite low statistically.

Some of these segments don't make sense. There is literally no one here who would be able to build up the collection they did unless they bought, resold, bought again, resold some more. Unless they came from money.

• Disagree 1

34 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Looks pretty sketch tbh. i think @DefaultGen has already called out a couple of examples that exist but not in the data.

A couple people online have claimed missing/duplicate things (two people same singular grade) but I didn't see anything definitive. I saw one copy of Spelunker on Ebay that wasn't in the report and literally the minute before I commented about it the report updated from Oct 31 to Nov 1, and that one game was added. I'm guessing it's accurate at least on the sealed NES stuff unless there's still evidence something is missing.

I can't wait for the thread when VGA releases their next pop report so we can all argue how many were crossed and how all the data means nothing.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

This thread has gone as predicted. The bulls think this is proof for their arguments and the bears think it is proof for their arguments 🤣 I'm glad I have no interest in the US collecting scene.

Also, is it just me or is anyone else sick of Retro plugging his blog and trying to sell stuff? I'd actually rather banner ads then been marketed to through posts, at least the banner ads might show me a good deal on Amazon or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, inasuma said:

I find it funny that only 6 games have total pops over 100. 

It makes sense if you're selling, no value in grading many. I just sent a Win, Lose Or Draw that might get a 8.0 and be worth less than the grading but I just threw it in with the rest for no real reason. There are likely cases of some of these lower value games that will never get graded.

• Agree 2

Just now, Code Monkey said:

It makes sense if you're selling, no value in grading many. I just sent a Win, Lose Or Draw that might get a 8.0 and be worth less than the grading but I just threw it in with the rest for no real reason. There are likely cases of some of these lower value games that will never get graded.

I think that can be comparable to sports cards. Everybody gets the Griffey rookie graded but not the random common relief pitcher.

• Agree 2