IGNORED

Timewalk - What happened??

TheBiRD

Also, IIRC, they made the semi-licensed, re-issued DuckTales in the promo lunch boxes.  That's not what I'm talking about.  That was commissioned by CAPCOM, was in limited quantity and handed out to the press-only, so of course those are going for $$$.  I'm talking about their games you could order through any normal channels.

4 minutes ago, TheBiRD said:

They just shutdown them buisness and Im curious to know why and what happened at this time?? Anybody knows??

The rumor was that they got scared of copyright infringement.  They may have even been threatened with suit.  I don't know how much truth there was to that, though.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

Ok, the question I've wanted to ask but I've been afraid to admit--what was so special about Timewalk?  All I know is that they made re-issued NES games.  But, there games seem to go for a premium.  What made them so special?

My opinion was that their games and boxes were always of really high quality at the time, but they were making NES and SNES repros at a time when new carts weren't very cheap, so they painted a lot of old carts to make their stuff.  I've been surprised at how the values have held up considering that fact.  I alwasy like their boxes and boxart

Edited by Fleck586
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RH said:

Ok, the question I've wanted to ask but I've been afraid to admit--what was so special about Timewalk?  All I know is that they made re-issued NES games.  But, there games seem to go for a premium.  What made them so special?

For me, they are just the first I discovered doing Repro.. I found them to be high quality, cib and most of all gave me the feeling to unpack a sealed game!

• Like 1

They had high quality boxes but more importantly they used newly manufactured boards so they weren't butchering vintage donor boards to make their games. Most people sacrifice a Batman: Return Of The Joker cartridge to make a Mr. Gimmick cartridge but Timewalk used new boards. The same thing would happen if RetroUSB died, people would start scrambling to get their games too. They don't offer boxes though so maybe they're different.

I also got a faulty Cocoron which I was in the process of getting fixed before they folded and faded into obscurity, never to return another one of my emails.

As other said above, Timewalk was really the first to the summit with making high quality boxes, manuals, and other paper goods to go along with their repro carts. At the time no one else was really doing that to the degree of care Timewalk was putting in, so that gave Timewalk a lot of prestige in the retro gaming community. IIRC, the company shut down as their popularity outstripped their production abilities. I recall a lot of their products towards the end had something like a six month order turnaround.

I did appreciate that TW used FX2 chips (from donor Doom carts) for their Star Fox 2 repros. Most repros use an FX1 donor cart and suffer (edit: more) frame rate issues as a result.

Edited by Teh_Lurv

50 minutes ago, RH said:

Also, IIRC, they made the semi-licensed, re-issued DuckTales in the promo lunch boxes.  That's not what I'm talking about.  That was commissioned by CAPCOM, was in limited quantity and handed out to the press-only, so of course those are going for $$$.  I'm talking about their games you could order through any normal channels.

no they didn't make those lunchboxes, wolf.

That was iam8bit

52 minutes ago, RH said:

absolutely nothing.   No repro maker can be special because at the end of the day, you're just buying a rom in a shell.   Whoop de doo.      

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fsped09 said:

Didn't the TW guys shift gears and start Rose Colored Gaming?

I thought that was someone else entirely. What they were doing wasn't any more legal than time walk, so I wouldn't expect that to be tw guys again. 

Is rcg still active? I found them pretty off putting with their smugness

They just made pretty stuff...they got in early enough so the market wasn't flooded. Lot's of Homebrew collectors also collected all the nice boxed  hacks and repro's early on too which helped...(there was a time, not long ago, when there really was NOT many homebrews for the NES) I remember that gweyndelin dude really talked them up too (whatever happened to him?) I bought a few and honestly was pretty underwhelmed...pictures looked way better haha

Moderator · Posted
47 minutes ago, Lincoln said:

I thought that was someone else entirely. What they were doing wasn't any more legal than time walk, so I wouldn't expect that to be tw guys again. 

Is rcg still active? I found them pretty off putting with their smugness

I suppose I'm wrong, thought I heard that was the case. RCG is still going. I've bought a few stands from them, their other stuff is pricey. What did they do that was smug?

Timewalk was pretty awesome! They are the reason i found Nintendo Age back in 2012. I was already buying quite a bit from Timewalk and was talking to the guys over there asking about if they were gonna do a big box Mother 3. They said someone on NA may be doing one. Anyway, i had 18 SNES games from them at 1 point. I saved a bunch of the old pictures before i sold them and uploaded them in some imgur albums: 

Timewalk Games Pt1 https://imgur.com/a/DoqwUM5

Timewalk Games Pt 2 https://imgur.com/a/Cg4dpOD

Sorry for the potato quality but i thought people would be interested. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fsped09 said:

I suppose I'm wrong, thought I heard that was the case. RCG is still going. I've bought a few stands from them, their other stuff is pricey. What did they do that was smug?

Maybe smug is the wrong word. I just have this impression of ... unearned confidence? Idk, something about their approach was aggravating. Maybe prices they were demanding were so far out of line with anything else available at the time. 

I did just remember they did that earth bound cart though, which would be amazing to own.