IGNORED

Your "Game Theory"

CMR

If you've ever seen the youtube channel Game Theory, you know what this is about, although that show has kind of gotten phoned in lately.  The MegaMan thread also kind of inspired me to put this up, though I've had this thread idea for a while.  So does anybody have any of their own "Game Theories" that nobody ever talks about?

I'll start with mine.  In Final Fantasy 7 you go to the temple of the ancients to get the black materia that can cast meteor.  Inside you see a mural that seems to depict people using the materia on another group of people.  It's interesting to note that the materia in the mural is green.  Materia is crystalized mako, and from what i've understood contain the memories of the planet.  So, in short, the meteor summoning materia is a memory of a meteor hitting the planet, or at least the knowledge of the event.  The reason it became black was because it was used to kill countless people in the past.  I'm guessing it was the ancients that used it since it's called the temple of the ancients, and maybe this is also when the Cetra split into two groups, but I'm really just guessing at this.  Anyway, this isn't even my theory.

My real theory is that the meteor that was summoned in this event was also the one that created the northern crater.  If it was then it's also the meteor that Jenova happened to be flying around the universe on.  So, in short, if it was the ancients who used meteor to kill their enemies, then it's kind of ironic that they also inadvertently brought the alien Jenova to the planet as well.

I've got another one, but I'll wait till some other people post before I put it up.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Mario is a paranoid schizophrenic.  Too many hallucinogenics, too much stress from the job working shitty bathrooms, too many Bronx goombahs always busting his balls.

Some say he's still out there.  Still carrying that hammer... still looking for his Peach.

• Haha 2

Moderator · Posted
38 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Mario is a paranoid schizophrenic.  Too many hallucinogenics, too much stress from the job working shitty bathrooms, too many Bronx goombahs always busting his balls.

Some say he's still out there.  Still carrying that hammer... still looking for his Peach.

Mario was modeled after David Berkowitz, with a mustache. 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:14 AM, OptOut said:

Not exactly a game theory, but what the fuck is up with James McCloud from F-Zero X being like the non-furry version of Fox McCloud's dad? 🤔

F-Zero X] James McCloud en White Land 2 - YouTube

Maybe he's the Captain Kirk of the StarFox universe.

• Haha 1

Bowser just wants to be friends with the Princess. Meanwhile, Mario being the sadistic person that he is, feels the need to do more than just spank Bowser. Mario would regularly beat up all of Bowser’s family members, thrash his entire castle and kingdom, and steal all the shiny stars, costumes and mushrooms.

Mario doesn’t want anyone touching his girl.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:18 PM, CMR said:

If you've ever seen the youtube channel Game Theory, you know what this is about, although that show has kind of gotten phoned in lately.  The MegaMan thread also kind of inspired me to put this up, though I've had this thread idea for a while.  So does anybody have any of their own "Game Theories" that nobody ever talks about?

I'll start with mine.  In Final Fantasy 7 you go to the temple of the ancients to get the black materia that can cast meteor.  Inside you see a mural that seems to depict people using the materia on another group of people.  It's interesting to note that the materia in the mural is green.  Materia is crystalized mako, and from what i've understood contain the memories of the planet.  So, in short, the meteor summoning materia is a memory of a meteor hitting the planet, or at least the knowledge of the event.  The reason it became black was because it was used to kill countless people in the past.  I'm guessing it was the ancients that used it since it's called the temple of the ancients, and maybe this is also when the Cetra split into two groups, but I'm really just guessing at this.  Anyway, this isn't even my theory.

My real theory is that the meteor that was summoned in this event was also the one that created the northern crater.  If it was then it's also the meteor that Jenova happened to be flying around the universe on.  So, in short, if it was the ancients who used meteor to kill their enemies, then it's kind of ironic that they also inadvertently brought the alien Jenova to the planet as well.

I've got another one, but I'll wait till some other people post before I put it up.

I'm a sucker for FF7 so I'm into this theory. I love that game and universe.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's a game theory, but Ice Hockey on the NES was way ahead of its time. In the game, if the game is tied after three periods, there is a 2 min 3v3 (1 less player per side). If the game is still tied after this, there is a shootout that goes until there is a winner.

When the game was created (1988), NHL games continued playing 5v5 hockey for 20 minute periods until someone scored. Shootouts weren't implemented until 2005 and didn't use less players in overtime until 2015. The IIHF didn't start using the shootout until 1992 and just had ties prior to this. Either way, playing the game is more similar to todays hockey than when it was created 30 years ago. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 12:14 AM, OptOut said:

Not exactly a game theory, but what the fuck is up with James McCloud from F-Zero X being like the non-furry version of Fox McCloud's dad? 🤔

F-Zero X] James McCloud en White Land 2 - YouTube

Gamer Theory on that -- Fox is the child of a man into animals, alien space foxes to be exact.

You know those pillars you see scattered around Zelda Breath Of The Wild, the tall ones you can sometimes find treasure chests on top of?  I have a theory about those too.  I think they originally held up the surface of Hyrule.  If you think about it, there has been a lot of dungeons created beneath Hyrule across all the games.  Eventually, over the span of multiple games, they could become a vast underground network.  After thousands of years I think those dungeons began to collapse causing the surface of Hyrule to sink also.  You can see more evidence of this "collapse" In the Hebra mountain region near the Rok Uwog shrine and the Hateno region near the Kam Urog shrine.  If you go to the ege of Hyrule and look at the surrounding lands they are also much higher than Hyrule, suggesting that all of Hyrule has sunk over time.

On 10/10/2021 at 12:04 AM, CMR said:

Rick from Splatterhouse is an escaped patient from an insane asylum.  That's why he's barefoot and it looks like he's wearing hospital scrubs.   The monsters he fights are really haluccinations.

Isn't that the plot of Silent Hill Origins? You even have radio announcers talking about how a murderer goes about killing people, i.e. you, the player.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:25 PM, dr.robbie said:

I don't know if it's a game theory, but Ice Hockey on the NES was way ahead of its time. In the game, if the game is tied after three periods, there is a 2 min 3v3 (1 less player per side). If the game is still tied after this, there is a shootout that goes until there is a winner.

When the game was created (1988), NHL games continued playing 5v5 hockey for 20 minute periods until someone scored. Shootouts weren't implemented until 2005 and didn't use less players in overtime until 2015. The IIHF didn't start using the shootout until 1992 and just had ties prior to this. Either way, playing the game is more similar to todays hockey than when it was created 30 years ago. 

Maybe the administration guys who made today’s rules for the league were playing NES ice hockey in their youth

• Like 1

I have some theories about BOTW's map too.  It does kind of mess up my previous theory though.  Anyway, I think the hyrule of the original Zelda, ALTTP, and possibly wind waker were all contained in the Gerudo Desert area of BOTW's map.  I also think BOTW's map was based off Zelda 2's map.

Edit: never played Silent Hill Origins

Edited by CMR

Administrator · Posted
12 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Isn't that the plot of Silent Hill Origins? You even have radio announcers talking about how a murderer goes about killing people, i.e. you, the player.

There are relatively weak fan theories about a few SH games claiming that the protag was killing people in SH the whole time, hallucinating or what have you. However, as I say they are weak. SH3 is well know for the line from Vincent - "they look like monsters to you?". But dude has evil intent - what Heather is seeing in REAL in Silent Hill, and he sees the same. My take in that while they are clearly grotesque creatures, he doesn't see them as "monsters" in a negative sense as the term implies. Many cult members in the series see them as saviours or similar, actively praying to them. 

On 10/9/2021 at 9:25 PM, dr.robbie said:

In 2025 the NHL will implement a rule that says teams must choose between skinny guys, normal guys, and fat guys. The all fat guy teams will dominate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I love this stuff. I think the videos are still pretty good even if I think some of his theories he goes a bit cloud cuckoo over lol. If nothing else the vastly increased production quality of the videos makes it worth it (I've been following MatPat since he started and was just a featured highlight on ScrewAttack and cooperating with Pat the NES Punk posting on his site lol)

On 10/7/2021 at 11:18 PM, CMR said:

I'll buy this, makes a lot of sense and provides a good explanation for a lot of things. I'll accept this as my head canon.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:45 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

This reminds me of an old Mario fanfic I stumbled upon back in HS, some random forums or geocities site, idr now. But basically Mario turned into a alcoholic Stalin like dictator of the Mushroom Kingdom after defeating Bowser and Peach committing suicide so no he just goes around drunkenly wumping goombas and such from time to time... it really stuck with me for some reason lol

On 10/9/2021 at 4:43 PM, GPX said:

Bowser just wants to be friends with the Princess. Meanwhile, Mario being the sadistic person that he is, feels the need to do more than just spank Bowser. Mario would regularly beat up all of Bowser’s family members, thrash his entire castle and kingdom, and steal all the shiny stars, costumes and mushrooms.

Mario doesn’t want anyone touching his girl.

MatPat definitely did a theory on this ages ago lol

Spoiler

On 10/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, CMR said:

You know those pillars you see scattered around Zelda Breath Of The Wild, the tall ones you can sometimes find treasure chests on top of?  I have a theory about those too.  I think they originally held up the surface of Hyrule.  If you think about it, there has been a lot of dungeons created beneath Hyrule across all the games.  Eventually, over the span of multiple games, they could become a vast underground network.  After thousands of years I think those dungeons began to collapse causing the surface of Hyrule to sink also.  You can see more evidence of this "collapse" In the Hebra mountain region near the Rok Uwog shrine and the Hateno region near the Kam Urog shrine.  If you go to the ege of Hyrule and look at the surrounding lands they are also much higher than Hyrule, suggesting that all of Hyrule has sunk over time.

I feel like the Forgotten Temple all but confirms this, especially with it's strong ties to Skyward Sword.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, DoctorEncore said:

I believe Braid is the story of Oppenheimer or some other scientist who worked on the Manhattan Project. It's heavy on the symbolism/allegory, but I think that's what they were going for.

Hasn't it been confirmed via Word of God that the entirety of the game is-

Spoiler

-played in reverse? as in the sequence of events is backwards and in actuality you are the antagonist trying to kidnap the girl?

if not then it is highly ascended fan theory lol

On 10/12/2021 at 11:24 PM, CMR said:

I have some theories about BOTW's map too.  It does kind of mess up my previous theory though.  Anyway, I think the hyrule of the original Zelda, ALTTP, and possibly wind waker were all contained in the Gerudo Desert area of BOTW's map.  I also think BOTW's map was based off Zelda 2's map.

I know it's been heavily theorized that Zelda 1 & Zelda 2's map are two parts of the same map? Zelda 1 being the north part and Adventure of Link being the south. Though that loses a bit of steam with the fact then there would be two Death Mountains... but even then going back as far as Link to the Past every Hyrule map has generally been pretty concurrent (with a bit of perspective adjustments) as far as lay out, with only minor-ish discrepancies in regards to things like Kakariko Village. At the least since Ocarina of Time Nintendo has definitely been keeping notes and maintaining some measure of QA on this lol