IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

57 minutes ago, Jynx said:

The final stages are mean though, and the early stages are a too simple. When you clear many stages in a row, you start feeling like Popo and Nana are really awesome characters. 😄

Did you ever play the Vs System version? It seriously ups the challenge! Probably great for fans 🙂

I've never met anyone who was able to clear it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Did you ever play the Vs System version? It seriously ups the challenge! Probably great for fans 🙂

I've never met anyone who was able to clear it. 

Vs. Ice Climber looks so neat! I've known about it for years, and it's cool how much was added. I've never played it, but maybe I should. I've been playing winter related games by coincidence recently and enjoying them. 🙂

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Beat = see an ending

Complete = see/do all the stuff

Master = all of the above, plus (e.g. speedrunning, high score challenges, challenge runs)

Reed beat Gradius V.

The internet is so sensitive now, that they'll need to come up with a less insulting word for "quitting" or "gave up". People will start saying "I ended my playthrough of Metroid". 😆

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Jynx said:

The internet is so sensitive now, that they'll need to come up with a less insulting word for "quitting" or "gave up". People will start saying "I ended my playthrough of Metroid". 😆

Some games deserve to be "quit", like Metroid!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/13/2023 at 6:25 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Gradius V

This game is hard.  I can't even tell what is going on on this part image.png.ace9ee890e1a71fb1a80b2346d1a1437.png

On 5/13/2023 at 6:38 PM, avatar! said:

Wrong! Clearly, Cocoa Puffs -

assets-brandplatform-generalmills-com-me

nah, that's Reese's Puffs. I can tell by the explosion of peanut butter flavor.

I figured out how to shave a ton of deaths in Zelda 1 3-heart mode. My second file is ready at level 6 and 8 with only 15 deaths. The key was this:

Spoiler

Normally people clear the dungeons in order, but you don't have to do that. You can go to level 6 first and grab the magic rod, and it only takes the sword, 2 bombs (more helps), 1 key, and the magic shield (not strictly necessary, but really helpful). My method:

1. go to the top right peninsula and get the secret 100 rupees stash

2. go to level 2 (close to lost wood) and get one key (very easy)

3. get bombs by killing moblins

4. go through lost wood, graveyard, and mountains, but pass level 6 and take stairs down to water

5.  use bombs to open the hidden shop in the screen with a top-left cliff, bottom-right water, and a ton of peahats. Buy the magic shield here for 90.

6. go back to level 6

7. collect key from right room but do not open the locked door

8. collect key from wizzrobe room and you should now have 3 keys

9. clear first room of wizzrobes and likelikes

10. in room of block hallways filled with wizzrobes, bomb right wall to exit

11. in next room, go in and back out of the bomb opening until you get a clear path to the top door (you can't see it but a lake is in your way so you have to walk only on the perimeter of the room).

12. defeat all enemies in this room and push the block to access the magic rod.

And that's it! You can't clear the dungeon yet because you don't have the bow or the ladder, but the rod will make the first six dungeons incredibly easy, since it's basically a white sword with unlimited sword beams. You should be able to shred the game like cheddar cheese, at least until the real challenge starts at levels 6 and 8.

I have to say, it's frustrating but really fun to do this challenge. You really push your Zelda skills to the limit.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Reading it written out like that it only just looks even more obviously wrong. 😛 

Let's see what the dictionary says...

qoycHDw.png

.. oh my 😘

I don't see how these dictionary references provide any weight to your argument. Especially lacking vital context.

Also: 

CHECKMATE.

14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

CHECKMATE.

Who are these people? Are they an authority on what words mean? Yeah, I think I'll go with the oxford dictionary over some random video you digged up on YouTube that I'm not even gonna bother watching 😛 

14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I don't see how these dictionary references provide any weight to your argument.

Outside of the fact that completing meaning literally making it to the end of something, and beating meaning a competitive victory? I'm not sure what else you'd want.
I'll concede as far as "complete" at least can be a bit ambiguous in this context, in which case Reed might have been better off saying he finished Gradius 5.

You can use what terminology you want, but if you want to use words in a manner that completely changes their established meaning, at least recognize the fact 😄 

Edited by Sumez

19 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You can use what terminology you want, but if you want to use words in a manner that completely changes their established meaning, at least recognize the fact 😄 

You can also do it without exact terms. You can say "I beat the game, and finished the Pokedex too". Or "I beat Donkey Kong Jr. and looped until max difficulty."

You can always say you beat a game, and then add qualifiers to describe how well you did. He said he beat the game, but did very poorly. I don't think that's wrong. 🥴 Though you brought it up as a joke anyways, so who even cares? 😆

Edited by Jynx

40 minutes ago, Jynx said:

You can always say you beat a game, and then add qualifiers to describe how well you did. He said he beat the game, but did very poorly. I don't think that's wrong. 🥴 Though you brought it up as a joke anyways, so who even cares? 😆

Yeahh, it was just a fun reference to an old debate, that's kinda pointless due to the same things you highlight. It's always better to qualify what you did rather than assuming some kind of absolute term. 🙂

Personally I'd never say I "beat" an arcade style shooter though, if I lost all my lives on stage 4 and hit game over. Seems like a bit of an oxymoron 😄
And Gradius 5 is a really hard game to beat, too.

Edited by Sumez

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Yeahh, it was just a fun reference to an old debate, that's kinda pointless due to the same things you highlight. It's always better to qualify what you did rather than assuming some kind of absolute term.

Yeah we're just goofin'. I don't really care either way how someone defines the terms, certainly not enough to argue about it, but just enough to jokingly link a Pat the NES Punk video. 😛

• 2 weeks later...

I started up Planet of Lana on Xbox the other day and I found myself extremely impressed. It is an atmospheric, side-scrolling puzzle game in the vein of Limbo and Inside. My experience with those two games somewhat soured me on this genre as I found them to be quite overrated (see my previous rants), so I was a bit skeptical about this one. However, I am happy to report that it surpasses those experiences and easily claims the crown for this throwback genre.

First and foremost, the art is the star of the show and screenshots really don't do it justice. This game is beautiful; it's like a moving painting. The developers opted to forego traditional dialogue in favor of environmental storytelling which is subtle, but effective. The visuals, characters, music, sound design, and puzzles all coalesce into something wonderful and really pull you into the world. The alien environment feels alive in ways that are hard to express, but easy to feel as you play.

I haven't quite made it to the end, but this may be my favorite game of 2022 so far.

• Like 1

I'm playing Chronicon, an ARPG that's essentially one giant loot explosion. No towns, no exploration, no downtime, no skill. Every 5 steps you take is another closely clustered together pack of monsters. It is the most brain-off, get-dopamine ARPG I've ever played and I've played a lot.

Currently working my way through the System Shock remake. After following the project since 2017, I was concerned what toll all the development hell would take, between having to switch game engines and effectively restarting the build from scratch but I remained cautiously optimistic because System Shock is one of those pivotal titles for me that, if any game deserved a modern remake, this was one of them. I'm so incredibly pleased to say that...it is drokking amazing! I'm taking my time with it. Playing it in tightly-paced sessions so that I can maximize my appreciation for the passion that's on display here. It's been long enough since I last attempted to play through the original that, outside of the first level, it feels pretty much entirely new again.

They've managed to pull off the near-impossible feat of being both staunchly true to the original concept and design while also making the game's interface and controls infinitely more accessible for modern play. It is still as hardcore as the original in all the right ways. There's no hand-holding. No checkpoints or objective markers. The game doesn't care if you've found a particular weapon or upgrade before you move on to another part of the station. You're still going to have to listen to audio logs and sometimes backtrack to previous areas to complete your goals. It's a dungeon-crawl in space, where the maps are maze-like, the enemies are tough and aggressive and your resources are limited. Despite this, the game never feels unfair or that your failures are anything but your own fault. You were too hasty, or too greedy, or too oblivious to your surroundings and it is so incredibly immersive and rewarding to fight your way through all of those odds stacked against you.

Essentially, every way in which the original should have been tightened up and improved it has been and every way in which it should have stayed true to the original, they've done that. While I'm sure its exposure is going to limit it's potential recognition and the competition this year is already fierce, this is the kind of game that will honestly deserve to be at least mentioned when people look back at contenders for GotY 2023. It is truly impressive.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1