IGNORED

Popular series you don't love?

Nintegageo

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I also thought this was an extremely unfair and tedious design choice. I got to a point in the game where I just had to shoot or bomb every single wall to progress. It's similar to burning bushes in Zelda but even less fun.

Funny, that's the type of gameplay I loved as a kid.  Still do, but I have far less time than I did back then.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Funny, that's the type of gameplay I loved as a kid.  Still do, but I have far less time than I did back then.

I didn't play Metroid until I was an adult, so that's probably why it bugged me so much. As a kid, that kind of stuff isn't so bad since you have lots of time and limited gaming options. As an adult... Eh.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:55 AM, Shmup said:

I’ll second Earthbound. I don’t get the hype and find it to be a below average RPG.

I read Game Players magazine in the 90s and I remember they reviewed Earthbound and rated it 65%. Which I think is entirely deserving. I probably knew a kid or two that enjoyed it then, but nothing like FF2/3 or Chrono Trigger. I think Earthbound has more fans today than it did then. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I read Game Players magazine in the 90s and I remember they reviewed Earthbound and rated it 65%. Which I think is entirely deserving. I probably knew a kid or two that enjoyed it then, but nothing like FF2/3 or Chrono Trigger. I think Earthbound has more fans today than it did then. 

I'm giving Earthbound my first playthrough and the things everyone is saying about it is absolutely right. The dialogue, humor, plot, and setting is top notch, but the gameplay is an absolute drag. There's a clue in Fourside suggesting I check out the golden statue that my neighbor in Onett dug up. So I spend close to 5 minutes on the bus doing nothing but watching the bus animation and then another 5 minutes walking all the way through Twoson and Onett only to find out he sold it to some mysterious stranger. Well, that wasn't much fun... I'm about to say fuck it and buy a strategy guide. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see...

- Donkey Kong
- Donkey Kong Country
- Halo
- Mario/Super Mario
- Pokémon
- Elder Scrolls
- Final Fantasy
- Resident Evil
- Shining
- Gears of War
- Zelda (most of it)

The list goes on. But should note that I like these enough to play, but do not love them.

54 minutes ago, DorkOverlord said:

Borderlands

Heathen! 🧐

Kidding. I felt the first game was alright, but never took the time to beat the DLC add-ons. And I am also working on beating Borderlands 2, but am not looking forward to doing the DLC. The rest does not impress me. 🍺

But... I am hoping to get the TRPG tie-in.

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I love space-shooters, and while this isn't technically a "series", I've yet to find a traditional Compile shoot-em-up that I enjoy very much.

-CasualCart

Do you have a PSP?   If so, either the Soldier Collection or Parodius Portable should be right up your alley.

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Do you have a PSP?   If so, either the Soldier Collection or Parodius Portable should be right up your alley.

I don't have a PSP, but luckily I've got a handful of Hudson and Konami space-shooters between my TurboGrafx-16 Mini and my SFC carts. Those are definitely more suited to my taste.

-CasualCart

18 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I love space-shooters, and while this isn't technically a "series", I've yet to find a traditional Compile shoot-em-up that I enjoy very much.

-CasualCart

The Compile games were mostly an acquired taste for me. As far as straight up fun out-the-box I would say Zanac X Zanac is the best game, then maybe Soldier Blade.

Graphics Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Californication said:

The Compile games were mostly an acquired taste for me. As far as straight up fun out-the-box I would say Zanac X Zanac is the best game, then maybe Soldier Blade.

I almost had to rescind my answer because you made it sound like Soldier Blade is a Compile shooter, and that game is the floss.

I've never played Zanac X Zanac, but I've played the original Zanac on the NES it's way too fast and frenetic for me haha.

Although I did have fun with the Guardian Legend, for what it's worth...

-CasualCart

Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I don't have a PSP, but luckily I've got a handful of Hudson and Konami space-shooters between my TurboGrafx-16 Mini and my SFC carts. Those are definitely more suited to my taste.

-CasualCart

Do you have the Caravan Shooting Collection?

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I've never played Zanac X Zanac, but I've played the original Zanac on the NES it's way too fast and frenetic for me haha.

That's what I like about it. 😛

Damn hard, though. People tout Recca as a hard game, but I think Zanac gives it a run for its money.

4 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I almost had to rescind my answer because you made it sound like Soldier Blade is a Compile shooter, and that game is the floss.

Although I did have fun with the Guardian Legend, for what it's worth...

-CasualCart

My bad, I thought it was a Compile game. Zanac X Zanac is kind of fast, but power ups give you different levels of invinvibility. So you can have fun switching between weapons, and by rolling the invincibility you get time to take a breather when you get tired. It's a little easy when you get used to it.

Not surprised to see GTA, outside of when it really took off with GTA3 and the excellent 80s blow out of Vice City I feel the series is just garbage, worse and worse down a rabbit hole of increasingly bad ideas and a mix of grating and/or repetitive things to do with ratty objectives.  The thing is, it's not what I'd throw in a popular series I don't love, it did more damage far more damage, it ruined sandbox games on the large for me because most refuse to be unique and parrot the stupidity  So it's a popular genres I don't love. 😄

But a series, I got one, it'll tweak off a big round up of FPS fanboys, but Halo.  I've tried, so much to get into the games as the single player is oddly fairly robust, but really I just don't love it, like is a stretch maybe tolerate as far as the first game went.  I don't like the gun mechanics, the drop swap and carry, much of the core mechanics just irk me.  That said, and I truly believe it, I think 1000% large on it that as a SCIFI property as in making movies, make an arcing story over years thing on Netflix (or whoever), series of books(yes I know a few exist) would be a far better utilization of it.  The stories and depth in there, which is nuts given its a FPS game, is fantastic and badly wasted on the game.

Graphics Team · Posted
14 hours ago, Californication said:

My bad, I thought it was a Compile game. Zanac X Zanac is kind of fast, but power ups give you different levels of invinvibility. So you can have fun switching between weapons, and by rolling the invincibility you get time to take a breather when you get tired. It's a little easy when you get used to it.

That actually sounds like fun - or at least less stressful than Zanac haha.

16 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Do you have the Caravan Shooting Collection?

No, but I've got the individual releases of Star Soldier, Star Force, and Hector 87 on the NES / FC. Star Soldier is easily one of my favorite video games full-stop.

-CasualCart

I like fighting games, generally speaking, but once they started going "3D" and introducing concepts like "ring outs" and ludicrous "air juggling", I lost all interest. Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Soul Caliber...hate them all. I've tried multiple games from each series in a desperate attempt to find the fun but it's just not there for me.

Nowadays, if the fighting doesn't happen on a strict 2D plane (I don't even like "lane" systems in otherwise 2D fighters), I won't even look at it.