IGNORED

Popular series you don't love?

Nintegageo

On 10/8/2021 at 9:03 PM, Tanooki said:

But a series, I got one, it'll tweak off a big round up of FPS fanboys, but Halo.

Ugh. Halo is garbage. Keep in mind, this is coming from an id Software/3D Realms type of FPS player but I remember hearing all the buzz when the original Halo came out, touting it as the latest and greatest evolution of the genre. I bought it, played it and it just about killed me inside. So slow, clumsy and tedious to play. I couldn't even get all the way to the end before I just couldn't take it anymore. I tried again when Halo 2 came out and exploded in popularity thanks to the online multiplayer. Still did not like the experience one bit.

My X-Box copy of Serious Sam got WAY more play than my copy of Halo...and that was after I had already beaten Serious Sam on PC. Now that is a good 2000's-era shooter.

Edited by Webhead123

3 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

Ugh. Halo is garbage. Keep in mind, this is coming from an id Software/3D Realms type of FPS player but I remember hearing all the buzz when the original Halo came out, touting it as the latest and greatest evolution of the genre. I bought it, played it and it just about killed me inside. So slow, clumsy and tedious to play. I couldn't even get all the way to the end before I just couldn't take it anymore. I tried again when Halo 2 came out and exploded in popularity thanks to the online multiplayer. Still did not like the experience one bit.

My X-Box copy of Serious Sam got WAY more play than my copy of Halo...and that was after I had already beaten Serious Sam on PC. Now that is a good 2000's-era shooter.

Same here, spoiled by iD Games, Apogee, and 3D Realms/GT Interactive where you know the FPS was designed well, great controls, camera, enemies, mechanics in general.  Halo just isn't any of that, it's by large and far best thing that needs to be tapped into a billion dollar thing is the story.  It's made for movies, books, just not the current shite gameplay it is saddled with.  Agreed on Serious Sam, just PC and Gamecube instead...a well done homage to the insanity of Doom and Duke blended together with insane walking kill counts on screen.

• 10 months later...

In a genre I like makes it a bit tougher.

I guess when it comes to mini-game collections, I feel like there are way better games than the Wii Sports series. Wii Sports Resort was the best the series got, but most of Hudson's mini-game collections beat the snot out of it. Also when it comes to marble maze games, I don't really like Super Monkey Ball.

I'll agree with those that said the Mother games aren't all that, but I'll be a little more fair and say that they hold up better than a lot of other generic RPGs. Mother at least has an identity, where something like Breath of Fire I couldn't distinguish from any other SNES RPG at a glance.

I do think that Mother 2 is the worst of the trilogy though, which makes it frustrating how people gush over it. Never forget that the "terrifying" final boss makes the fourth or fifth pee your pants joke in the game.

Truly a game with "spectacular" writing.

Edited by Lynda Monica