IGNORED

Movie Debate #87: Speed

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested.
    • Never seen it, never will.

A big budget B action movie

The action and dialogue are ridiculous.  Hopper makes a fun villain.  This was also Sandra Bullocks breakout role, though it feels like that role could have been played by anyone.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

For some reason I only ever watched the second one. I can't imagine I'll ever see this unless I'm somehow forced to.

The sequel is HORRID! The first one is a decent action flick, though probably a bit overshadowed since its release. It's not deep, but it is well put together and entertaining if you're in the right mood.

Edited by Tulpa

I feel like this is the dictionary definition of a 5 for me. It was worth watching once.  I'd "recommend" it, but only if it's the mid-2000's without On Demand content, you're stuck at home and it happens to be on TV. It's definitely worth stopping the dial and enjoying the film.  Otherwise, it might be worth putting this on your "Movies to see before I die" list, but if you're list is over 500 films, there's still no big rush to bump it up and just keep it towards the bottom of the list.

Now if we're rating Sandra Bullock films, let's talk about The Net.

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The sequel is HORRID! The first one is a decent action flick, though probably a bit overshadowed since its release. It's not deep, but it is well put together and entertaining if you're in the right mood.

Yes, the sequel sucked, saved only by the fact that I had recently visited St Maarten and stood on the dock where the movie ended. Always fun to see a locale you're familiar with.

Haven't seen it. Maybe I would watch it on TV but won't seek it out. I like suspense/thrillers, but this concept always seemed too simple and silly to me. Reading the wikipedia summary really doesn't convince me otherwise.

I was never on the Keanu Reeves hate train, so I will say I'm glad this got him some more respect. 

It's a movie that's kind of made for the theatre experience of the mid 90s, to be seen on a huge screen, with the energy of the crowd watching with you, at a period when these types of movies were trying to one up each other. It was a cool rush at the time, but not exactly a movie with staying power. I think if you're going to see it today, watch it on the biggest TV you can find, with a good sound system, and enjoy the ride.

It did kind of move Keanu closer to the roles he's really good at, and did get him the opportunities he was later known for.

Edited by Tulpa

I like Speed! I'm always surprised how long the run time is, because it never feels that long when watching it.

I like it the same way I like Twister, where Speed and Twister aren't smart movies, but they're fun the whole time. They're two movies I think of when it comes to dumb Hollywood fun. Not every movie needs to be smart to be good. ^_^

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, Jynx said:

I like Speed! I'm always surprised how long the run time is, because it never feels that long when watching it.

I like it the same way I like Twister, where Speed and Twister aren't smart movies, but they're fun the whole time. They're two movies I think of when it comes to dumb Hollywood fun. Not every movie needs to be smart to be good. ^_^

Twister is my wife's go-to movie

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It's a movie that's kind of made for the theatre experience of the mid 90s, to be seen on a huge screen, with the energy of the crowd watching with you, at a period when these types of movies were trying to one up each other.

34 minutes ago, Jynx said:

Ah, I remember those days with fond memory.  Though Speed and Twister are good examples, probably my favorite of that era is Independence Day.  Straight-up alien/computer non-sense.   I haven't seen Armageddon since I saw it in theaters, but I bet I'd enjoy it just as much if I could see it on the big screen again.

Though I really like both Dennis Hopper and Keanu, this movie was just terrible.

Hopper's character is missing a thumb (iirc?) so holds the phone with his complete hand to his other ear.  Why not just to the ear on the same side?  Yea, it's fucking stupid - like the plot of this movie.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Events Team · Posted

It's pretty great but a little long for a straight action thriller at two hours.  Me and a buddy were obsessed with this movie, and Sandra Bullock, at the time.  I saw it at least three times in the theater.  Solid 8.

22 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

IIRC Joss Whedon did uncredited punch ups on the script and that's where we get, "Pop Quiz, hot shot."

That line is still part of my go to quotes to this day.  Love bringing it up at work.

• Like 1