IGNORED

What's a game you personally 'have to beat'?

Nintegageo

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Sounds like you guys need to join the backlog challenge.

And my answer is probably Breath of the Wild.

I don't know if I'll ever around to doing that one (and I even sprung for both DLC packages!)...I'm just way too busy right now getting caught up on retro JRPGs! 😄  I mean, I sure don't see Link having cute chicks with him helping him out... 😞 

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

Considering that I've scratched off games like The Mutant Virus, Conan, and a slew of other "hard" games, the one that people find most surprising when they hear I haven't beat it is Super Mario Bros.  But then, I never liked the game, and couldn't be arsed to put the time in to beat it because there's a million and one games I'd rather play.  Honestly never understood the appeal tbh.  But really, they're all games...there's nothing that I need to beat.  If I were to pick one that I really need to go back and finish though, it'd be Nightshade.  Last time I played it was around 20 years ago, and I got to the end boss fight, only to not know how to use the staff and die.  The thing that irked me enough to not pop it in again though...that was the game over screen showing that I had completed 99% of the game.  Talk about salt in the wound!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

MTPO because I feel it will only get harder/impossible as I get older. It's probably the rawest test of reaction speed there is. Muscle memory doesn't help you very much. Basically anything else is just a matter of practice (I mean MTPO is too, but Tyson is also physically demanding). Apparently our reaction time gets a few ms worse per year, so the longer I put it off, the harder it will be.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

the one that people find most surprising when they hear I haven't beat it is Super Mario Bros.  But then, I never liked the game, and couldn't be arsed to put the time in to beat it because there's a million and one games I'd rather play.

Okay, listen here you... 

15 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

MTPO because I feel it will only get harder/impossible as I get older. It's probably the rawest test of reaction speed there is. Muscle memory doesn't help you very much. Basically anything else is just a matter of practice (I mean MTPO is too, but Tyson is also physically demanding). Apparently our reaction time gets a few ms worse per year, so the longer I put it off, the harder it will be.

This one kind of scares me, I remember beating it easily as a kid (maybe 7 or 8 years old?) but I've played it a few times since then and have trouble even making it to Tyson. I think I just need to sit down and actually try, on a CRT, to actually beat it again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alder said:

Okay, listen here you...

What?  It's true.  From the day I got my NES, I never cared for it.  Luckily I got TMNT the same Christmas.  Probably helped shape my tastes - I don't like "run to the right" games.  Platformers like TMNT, Metroid, Simon's Quest, etc, are more my jam...loved being able to explore areas rather than just getting to the end.  It's also a contributing factor to my dislike of SMB3.  I felt SMB2 was a HUGE improvement over the first, and 3 just seemed to go back to "more of the same" instead of continuing with what I liked to play. 

• Like 1

I’ve already beaten it, but I’ve set myself the task to beat Defense Grid on all tasks with gold medals.

I’ve also set myself the task of beating at least a few of my XBox Live downloaded games. I’ve downloaded over a 100 games, but have have barely touched any of them as I’ve been too attached/addicted to the combo of Geometry Wars 2/Defense Grid.

• Like 2

I already beat it, but mega man x. 

I didn’t beat it until 2017 and it was one of the first games I ever played. I wish that was a joke. I really couldn’t beat it. Sigma was just too hard. I’m proud of myself tho because I did beat it, and didn’t use a guide or video to do it. Palms were sweaty, mom spaghetti, etc.

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 1

I want to get all the bugs, fish, sea creatures, and fossils in all the Animal Crossing games. I have all the fossils in New Horizons on the Switch. I almost have all the sea creatures, too. A bit to go still on fish and bugs. Mostly the rare ones left to get. When that’s done I’ll start the GameCube one.

Edited by croagunk
  • Love 2

Honestly, I've yet to meet a game I couldn't beat with some commitment. I've beaten most of the modern games that are considered difficult without or cheats or guides (Cuphead, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Doom Eternal, all Trials games, The Witness, Celeste, Shinobi PS2, etc).

The BIG caveat to that is I have NOT gone back to many of the retro libraries to challenge those older, tougher games. Still, I feel like I can beat any real game with enough time. It's just a matter of whether they are worth the time. Weird Kaizo games are definitely not worth my time.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:59 AM, DefaultGen said:

Definitely utilize a CRT and lots of practice. When I was a kid I couldn’t beat MTPO but I find it to be easy now. 

• Like 1