IGNORED

General Sealed & Graded Discussion

Gloves

Oh boy, here we go! Chris Pratt, Jack Black and Seth Rogan have been cast in a new Mario movie scheduled for release on December 21st, 2022. 

I wonder if this is going to add even more fuel to the whole Mario/video game collecting madness!?

Stock up on/Buy all things Nintendo before prices really go crazy, lol!!!

Nintendo casts Chris Pratt as Super Mario for 2022 movie (yahoo.com)

Edited by Dumars2001

42 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

Oh boy, here we go! Chris Pratt, Jack Black and Seth Rogan have been cast in a new Mario movie scheduled for release on December 21st, 2022. 

I wonder if this is going to add even more fuel to the whole Mario/video game collecting madness!?

You mean before they go from unaffordable to more unaffordable? 😏 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

The casting news is new, although the movie itself has been announced for several years now... Besides, I think a lot of the current "investors" in sealed videogames have factored the next 150 years of hype fuelled growth just into the current prices!

Maybe if the buyer of the 1.56 million dollar Mario 64 lives to the year 2250 he'll finally see a return on his "investment"! 🤣

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

That's Nocenti and he doesn't sell anything unless it's high dollar.  To be fair, I have a 85+ TMNT Made in Japan (probably cross to at least 9.4 A+ or better, haven't checked in awhile) and that game is criminally undervalued.  There hasn't been a high sales public point on it yet.

Same exact thing as Mario 64, I turned down $50k+ offers on a 90+ back when I thought it was a $15-$20k game and then the first nice public sale happened.  TMNT is getting remade with the new beat em up release, it's got a new Pinballl machine last year (which I bought) and that game is damn rare Made in Japan Mint.  It just has all of the makings of an easy 6 figure sale when a nice one does hit open market.  I personally have it as a top 5 SNES game for me.

Having said that, $1M for anything ebay is a joke and just to draw views.  Free to list and anyone can do it.  But I do suspect he would turn down anything below $500k on it, and quite easily.

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Meh, I could see a million dollar list price like that for a SNES Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball since there have been zero of those offered up through heritage in ANY grade, but 3 copies of Turtles in time (9.4. 9.2 and 8.5) have been auctioned off in the last 3 years through HA. Yes, I'm judging rarity in regard to the history of copies auctioned through HA. It might not be the most reliable method but hey we don't have any pop reports, so...

Edited by Gulag Joe

20 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

Meh, I could see a million dollar list price like that for a SNES Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball since there have been zero of those offered up through heritage in ANY grade, but 3 copies of Turtles in time (9.4. 9.2 and 8.5) have been auctioned off in the last 3 years through HA. Yes, I'm judging rarity in regard to the history of copies auctioned through HA. It might not be the most reliable method but hey we don't have any pop reports, so...

I have a 9.6 A+ Griffey, it's worth some coin but won't rival the Mario studs that we talk about.

And there's only been 1 Turtles in Time Japan, that was the 9.2.  The other two were Majesco 9.4 Sealed and 8.5 CIB versions with the black and white manual.  Majesco is about as relevant as Player's Choice Mario 64 compared to the real deal.  A real deal Made in Japan will do extremely well on an auction.

Edited by jonebone
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

I have a 9.6 A+ Griffey, it's worth some coin but won't rival the Mario studs that we talk about.

And there's only been 1 Turtles in Time Japan, that was the 9.2.  The other two were Majesco 9.4 Sealed and 8.5 CIB versions with the black and white manual.  Majesco is about as relevant as Player's Choice Mario 64 compared to the real deal.  A real deal Made in Japan will do extremely well on an auction.

I don't think a sealed Griffey could fetch 7 figs right now, I think low 6 figs is a real possibility. I've heard the pop with Wata is less than 10, not sure if VGA graded any, but I think when we do get to see pop reports, that game, if one of the few copies that exist ever gets offered up for sale, it's going to pull a major premium.

On 9/24/2021 at 1:31 AM, Dumars2001 said:

10 years from now: "Super Mario? I love it. I'm a fan of all of Chris Pratt's stuff. I heard they made a game for it too?"

9 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

I don't think a sealed Griffey could fetch 7 figs right now, I think low 6 figs is a real possibility. I've heard the pop with Wata is less than 10, not sure if VGA graded any, but I think when we do get to see pop reports, that game, if one of the few copies that exist ever gets offered up for sale, it's going to pull a major premium.

Keio Flying Squadron probably has a single digit pop and look what happened with that one, sold for only $4500 🤣

5 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Keio Flying Squadron probably has a single digit pop and look what happened with that one, sold for only $4500 🤣

That may be the case but I don't think it would be fair to compare the two. The Griffey game sold 1.2 million copies. It's the only anomaly in the SNES million+ sellers that hasn't had a sealed copy offered up for sale through HA. I have seen raw versions sold on ebay, but authentic sealed versions (not reseals) are few and far between, showing up maybe once every 3 years.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Dumars2001 said:

I came across this fun little video today on Youtube. Thoughts?

I don't see the point in bringing all that graded inventory, let alone renting a booth, to sell games for 4 or 5 figures. I would dump that money and time into digital marketing. I'm sure they find buyers at those conventions, but I wonder how many people actually buy. I was thinking of going to this and taking some of my graded stuff along to sell but thought it wouldn't be worth my time. I'm certain every seller there that would take a look would likely low ball the shit outta me.

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

What he said is why I put a complete freeze in regards to me collecting video games. With my experiences tied to me selling my holy grail as an effort to reboot my business goals making it worse. And that excludes the "jokes" made (here) at my expense. 😩

In the end all I can say is that I might as well pick up stuff tied to video games, and not any games. That way I can still stay sane within this community while others make the mistakes I have tried to avoid. 🍺

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

He's just a loose cart / old school gamer complaining about graded games, what do you expect?

But yes, I wouldn't expect many graded games to actually sell at those conventions.  It's more about a marketing trip for people, they can just expense all of the costs on their taxes and offset income.  Plus you get to hangout / meet some people, have a couple dinners, and life goes on.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

He's just a loose cart / old school gamer complaining about graded games, what do you expect?

But yes, I wouldn't expect many graded games to actually sell at those conventions.  It's more about a marketing trip for people, they can just expense all of the costs on their taxes and offset income.  Plus you get to hangout / meet some people, have a couple dinners, and life goes on.  

That my be true, but I do sincerely feel bad for the "Average Joe" collector in today's video game hobby. It seems like they are being priced out of the hobby. This guy (YouTuber/collector) seemed like a nice guy that was genuinely bummed out about the state of the hobby and not buying a single video game at a video game expo.

Yes, you are right about the graded games just being there for marketing purposes. I did read somewhere that Goldin Auctions had a booth there with graded games to promote them for their second video game auction coming in the near future.

1 hour ago, Dumars2001 said:

That my be true, but I do sincerely feel bad for the "Average Joe" collector in today's video game hobby. It seems like they are being priced out of the hobby. This guy (YouTuber/collector) seemed like a nice guy that was genuinely bummed out about the state of the hobby and not buying a single video game at a video game expo.

Yes, you are right about the graded games just being there for marketing purposes. I did read somewhere that Goldin Auctions had a booth there with graded games to promote them for their second video game auction coming in the near future.

But he may have just had unreasonable expectations.  

I'd argue that you go to a game convention for the experience, meeting people, hanging out with friends, etc.  And he did all of that, he showed a car full of his buds and playing arcades, etc.  

If you're just looking for deals, I'm sure those evaporate pretty quickly first thing Friday (underpriced), or maybe have a little bit of haggle room on Sunday with vendors not looking to take stuff home.  But I would never go to a convention expecting to find smoking deals personally.  You're buying from people who know what they have.  Maybe he was spoiled in the past from getting lucky.

• Like 1