IGNORED

General Sealed & Graded Discussion

Gloves

1 minute ago, RETRO said:

I got a couple games, one of which was Golgo 13 (85 VGA, Indiana Collection) for NES for around $200—a pretty common game, but a still-underrated one I love and didn't happen to own. And I'll admit, when Greg said on the livestream, "Not bad, not bad at all!" about the sale, I blushed. The other game I got was my favorite NES game as a kid, and I got a good deal on it but I'll leave that one mysterious.

I'm now a pretty big fan of CertifiedLink. There were some *insane* deals. I wish I'd had more money to spend. Like five or six rare-ish NES games I wanted and had my eye on sold for under $350 and I just didn't have the money.

Nice! I'll admit my NES knowledge is probably much weaker than most of you guys so I wouldn't know a lot of what to buy on that system.

4 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

It's still a lot of money for a game that used to be $75 sealed lol. I know it's happened across the field, obviously, but I'm still of the old school mentality as a buyer for my personal collection. 

I think for a lot of folks here, and for me especially, buying for the personal collection is the ultimate goal. 🙂 As long as you have the means and it makes you happy, fuggit.

5 minutes ago, inasuma said:

I think for a lot of folks here, and for me especially, buying for the personal collection is the ultimate goal. 🙂 As long as you have the means and it makes you happy, fuggit.

Yeah, especially with Genesis stuff I love. Better to pay up now for Genesis stuff before pop reports come out. With Genesis, it's not going to help prices from a buyer perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Maertens29 said:

Was this bought from Phoenix Resale?  I feel like it looks familiar haha.  Great snag!

Yeah, so I'm surprised it went so cheap. Isn't this game like $100 for CIB lol? Since it's from him at least I know I won't get backdoored 😅

Edited by tidaldreams
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Yeah, so I'm surprised it went so cheap. Isn't this game like $100 for CIB lol? Since it's from him at least I know I won't get backdoored 😅

Well, seems like one of those games that won't necessarily have a huge premium sealed vs CIB. They're expensive games cib mainly for people who actually want to play them (and, I guess, aren't into modding). Not sure they're gonna be high-roller sealed collector targets really. Nice grab though!

Moderator · Posted
57 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I'm answering my own question, yes it was him. Just went back and checked his YouTube channel. 

Yup, that’s Trade N Games. He’s a good guy, that definitely knows his stuff. Done quite a few deals with him over the years at MGC

6 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Yup, that’s Trade N Games. He’s a good guy, that definitely knows his stuff. Done quite a few deals with him over the years at MGC

I’m pretty sure he’s a member here right? Good luck to him having the new gig!

Would be interesting to see how things pan out with the new company.

It’s cool to see Jason getting involved as I enjoy his YouTube channel. But having purchased a clearly resealed console from his store that was marked as factory sealed, then for them to completely ignore my attempts to resolve it for weeks, I’m a bit worried. Hopefully someone else is in charge of authentication for post-2004 Nintendo items.

Edited by inasuma

So far while I have been away from this topic...

- Blackstone Tactical Opportunities has purchased Certified Collectible Groups (parent company of CGC).

This gives me some optimism because they are not lead by a narcist who gets more money back than those who invest in their ego-driven venture. And those who joined the investment venture chose wisely because I expect CGC to use a version of AFA's modern scale than what Wata has chosen to use. With added hopes they will create UV resistant cases for their comic and card slabs.

- Geppi Family Enterprises, who owns both Diamond Comic Distributors and Hake's Auction, has purchased CGA, Inc.

If asked about the Wata fiasco, I would say that most of it was done by HA. But since GFE is trying to improve their business portfolio, I cannot see them using both businesses as a means to boost profits via market manipulation. I can, however, see them help with the much needed improvements that CGA, Inc. plans to make. And not the ones that should be done when it comes to their labels, etc.

As for me... My current shift in collecting has me debate if I should invest in CGA "Archival" cases or have them graded.

And not because I finally realized that the Dracula portion of CAstlevania II: simon's Quest came from the cover art for AD&D's "I6" Ravenloft. 🤨

Because that is my favorite Metroidvania game.

Apropos of nothing...

Until whoever is acting as stateside proxy for the overseas millionaires buying all the expensive Heritage games actually starts doing research to justify their consultancy and agency fees, the weekly Heritage auctions are going to be straight bliss for those of us who do.

(Game A) Batman: Return of the Joker [NES]

Copies at Public Market Since January 2019: 13 (#71 most common, of 810 games)

Percent of Copies in Near-Mint-Range Condition: 100%

Sold (October 26, 2021): $8,100 (9.8/A+)

Rank Among Consensus (100+ Expert) Top Underrated NES Games: #284

(Game B) Low G Man [NES]

Copies at Public Market Since January 2019: 3 (#388 most common, of 810 games)

Percent of Copies in Near-Mint-Range Condition: 0%

Sold (October 26, 2021): $240 (8.5/A+)*

Rank Among Consensus (100+ Expert) Top Underrated NES Games: #56

*Highest grade at market during 3-year survey period.

I mention this because most of the folks in here are smart—you may be collectors or resellers or combination collectors/resellers but you're not part of the idiot investor class that doesn't understand how scarcity interacts with condition premiums. You know that the meaning of a game within its console class may end up being just as important as the superhero franchise the game hails from. (There is so much Batman paraphernalia in the world that the notion that the third NES Batman game—which almost no one played—is going to matter in the future compared to an accepted NES hidden gem that exists only in NES-game format for anyone who admires it is truly stupid, IMHO). This is especially true given that, per its condition profile above, someone clearly has a case (or many cases) of Batman: Return of the Joker and is slowly doling the copies to Heritage; I expect we will be seeing this game in near-mint grade repeatedly for the next year at least, a lot like Battletoads (the #30 most common NES title graded, and clearly extant in factory boxes around the world based on its absurd 89% near-mint-condition profile). The other two copies of Low G Man that have hit the market since 2018 are a 6.5/A and a 7.0/B+. No one has a box of those.

Just a quick case study on how volatile this market is, and how little of a clue the overseas millionaires throwing most of the money around really have. This may be the best time to be a three-figure collector, not the worst. If the Guinness World Record-setting auction on Friday gets lots of press and tons of new actual collectors (not investors) flood the market, that's when the real collectors will really get priced out.

My two cents, anyway.

S.

Edited by RETRO

5 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

So far while I have been away from this topic...

- Blackstone Tactical Opportunities has purchased Certified Collectible Groups (parent company of CGC).

This gives me some optimism because they are not lead by a narcist who gets more money back than those who invest in their ego-driven venture. And those who joined the investment venture chose wisely because I expect CGC to use a version of AFA's modern scale than what Wata has chosen to use. With added hopes they will create UV resistant cases for their comic and card slabs.

- Geppi Family Enterprises, who owns both Diamond Comic Distributors and Hake's Auction, has purchased CGA, Inc.

If asked about the Wata fiasco, I would say that most of it was done by HA. But since GFE is trying to improve their business portfolio, I cannot see them using both businesses as a means to boost profits via market manipulation. I can, however, see them help with the much needed improvements that CGA, Inc. plans to make. And not the ones that should be done when it comes to their labels, etc.

As for me... My current shift in collecting has me debate if I should invest in CGA "Archival" cases or have them graded.

And not because I finally realized that the Dracula portion of CAstlevania II: simon's Quest came from the cover art for AD&D's "I6" Ravenloft. 🤨

Because that is my favorite Metroidvania game.

Blackstone you say 🤔

Well if any of y'all thought there was "market manipulation" before you ain't seen nothing yet 😂

• Haha 1

That's interesting. I didn't get the sense from either the video or any of his follow-up interviews that Karl cared about "tanking the market." Did you? He kept saying in post-video interviews that he just wanted WATA and Heritage to clean up their act and, as to collecting graded games, while he didn't understand it himself, he didn't finally care if others wanted to collect graded games. I think some people mistook his ambitions in that video. Unless I missed something from him that you saw on Twitter or YouTube that I didn't see?

After the video, VGA announced it would release pop reports and CGC said it would release pop reports six months after operations begin, which will put pressure on WATA to match its competitors in that regard. Feels like Karl achieved exactly what he wanted, it's just that results in something as big as this aren't instantaneous?

Edited by RETRO