IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

Just a reminder, you can't play a sealed game (or graded CIB).  I thought the whole playability argument for sealed values was a dead argument 5 years ago but history repeats itself.

It's not exactly the playability argument though, the reason why most people are nostalgic for Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic etc is BECAUSE they are some of the best games of all time! The nostalgia we feel over these great games is fuelled by how much fun they were and the impact they had on our lives. People may not be buying them to play anymore, but they are still buying them because of how great they are as GAMES, that's the inception point of the motivation to buy these games.

On the other hand, MOST of the crappy 3rd party video game tie-ins for Comic books and movies and cartoons and whatnot have always been viewed as far LESSER products than either franchises originating as games OR indeed the originating media that spawned the cheap knock-off cash-in games in the first place.

Maybe there are people who collect Simpsons memorabilia who might want a graded copy of Bart vs. the Space Mutants... But are we now saying that pool of fabled "cross-over appeal" buyers is going to be enough to perpetuate a market for ever-higher prices on that game? Or Virtual Bart for Super Nintendo? I mean just listen to how shallow and weak that pitch really sounds...

Sports games, well the jury is still out on that one for me, seeing as there have been a passionate niche for sports games forever. 

Anyway, IMO the games that will stand the test of time in the market are the ones that are well renowned and respected for being GAMES first and foremost, if indeed we are still PRETENDING that the people who are and will be participating in the over-inflated end of the market are indeed actually passionate retro-game enthusiasts.

Anyone pumping big money into TRASH 3rd party tie-in shovelware crap is ONLY looking out for the bigger fool, IMO.

Edited by OptOut

So looking at the results of the auction that I had an interest in, 3 out of 4 met or exceeded my expectations. Dragon Warrior VII did surprisingly low imho, but using the other three as a base value (though they will likely go for less if additional copies come up in the future, including mine), I feel a bit more comfortable going into the next potential big auction they do for games and hitting the minimal value threshold they require. The knowledge that I have another game that hasn't been put up there yet kinda helps push me a little more too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WarMech said:

So looking at the results of the auction that I had an interest in, 3 out of 4 met or exceeded my expectations. Dragon Warrior VII did surprisingly low imho, but using the other three as a base value (though they will likely go for less if additional copies come up in the future, including mine), I feel a bit more comfortable going into the next potential big auction they do for games and hitting the minimal value threshold they require. The knowledge that I have another game that hasn't been put up there yet kinda helps push me a little more too.

Legend of dragoon absolutely crashed! I was actually gonna buy it but the A seal turned me off.

• Haha 1

I was referencing to what you mentioned about pple to spend a lot of money and then I inserted this poop game. I don't see the value in it. Apparently this game is rare, 1,000 copies made. So are many games but they don't go for that much.

Edit: Okay, I read the article wrong. Its 84 copies sold. 

Edited by AnimalHouse

Just now, AnimalHouse said:

I was referencing to what you mentioned about pple to spend a lot of money and then I inserted this poop game. I don't see the value in it. Apparently this game is rare, 1,000 copies made. So are many games but they don't go for that much.

Twitter hype bullshit? Pretty sure there was a thread on that game back on NA, it was just some dumb Limited Run release or something.

Yeah, anyway, it's a hype economy, whether it be graded/sealed hype or FOMO manufactured scarcity hype, sorry but I don't buy hype.

• Agree 1

On 11/3/2021 at 2:45 PM, OptOut said:

Twitter hype bullshit? Pretty sure there was a thread on that game back on NA, it was just some dumb Limited Run release or something.

Yeah, anyway, it's a hype economy, whether it be graded/sealed hype or FOMO manufactured scarcity hype, sorry but I don't buy hype.

Hype can be good for the soul. Unfortunately, Hype is currently in overdose, and he is having lucid dreams of swimming in a sea of gold coins and green paper.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:00 AM, Gulag Joe said:

I sent a batch to VGA back in 2012 and recall reading on their site then that they did not grade/slab anything that would be lower than a 70. Where's the old heads because I'm curious to know if I read that wrong or misinterpreted.

Anyway, I never sent bum games to VGA in the early days for that reason. I held off on sending a Genesis Holyfield because the seal was all banged up. Still haven't gotten it graded for that reason.

20211019_100906.jpg

I think you probably read it in a sealed collecting forum/thread, not from VGA. There is a genuine reason for that VGA 70/75 cut off point consensus. 

With the extra grading fees and efforts, a seller would tend to ask for an extra price than the typical ungraded sealed price. As a buyer, why would someone want to pay more than the average sealed price, when they’re likely to find one in similar or even better condition at the average sealed price?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GPX said:

Did you just win an inheritance? You’ve been quite active with the buying! 

I know, right? And not even a video game! I often wonder why people waste their money on things that aren't video games...

I mean, that cardboard rectangle doesn't even have a POKÉMON printed on it, lol! 🤣

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, OptOut said:

I know, right? And not even a video game! I often wonder why people waste their money on things that aren't video games...

I mean, that cardboard rectangle doesn't even have a POKÉMON printed on it, lol! 🤣

Hey now, I'd like to think I know about some stuffs besides video games and pokemons.... maybe 🤔

51 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

I cannot believe how high MK vs DC universe platinum hits version sold for. This game sells less than $20s on ebay. Do Heritage buyers not see this? This reminds me of Bioshock Inf. but with no buying mob frenzy.

This week's auction was a total 👎 Like where do they even get some of this stuff... those were some of the junkiest pokemon slabs I've seen in a while.

3 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

I cannot believe how high MK vs DC universe platinum hits version sold for. This game sells less than $20s on ebay. Do Heritage buyers not see this? This reminds me of Bioshock Inf. but with no buying mob frenzy.

It's just low information buyers, clearly. I suppose its easy to take for granted the amount of information people on this forum and others like us have, those of us who have been collecting games for decades and living and breathing video games day in and day out.

I don't know a lot about comic books and sports cards, so if I had to imagine myself beginning a financially motivated collection of those things I think I would probably make a lot of mistakes too... But coming from the other way around, from cards and comics to games? I can only imagine the knowledge barrier being even HIGHER, due to the massive breadth and depth of the video game hobby.

I mean, maybe I'm being a little prejudiced due to ignorance, but video games ARE a much more complex genre of collectible than cards and comics aren't they? I mean I am asking genuinely here because I don't have a clue, but I would have to guess so?

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

It's just low information buyers, clearly. I suppose its easy to take for granted the amount of information people on this forum and others like us have, those of us who have been collecting games for decades and living and breathing video games day in and day out.

I don't know a lot about comic books and sports cards, so if I had to imagine myself beginning a financially motivated collection of those things I think I would probably make a lot of mistakes too... But coming from the other way around, from cards and comics to games? I can only imagine the knowledge barrier being even HIGHER, due to the massive breadth and depth of the video game hobby.

I mean, maybe I'm being a little prejudiced due to ignorance, but video games ARE a much more complex genre of collectible than cards and comics aren't they? I mean I am asking genuinely here because I don't have a clue, but I would have to guess so?

I think generally all forms of collectibles have their fair share of intricacies, and you need a lengthy amount of time to gather the information to your advantage. 

To me, what is laughable isn’t how much the prices are going for necessarily. It’s more the issue of unanimous buyers (that nobody knows who they are) are jumping in at million dollar bids/offers without bothering to check on Ebay or ask a few questions on knowledgeable forums such as VGS

8 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

This is mind blowing but it likely has to do with these buyers creaming themselves over 9.8 A++ grades.

The actual original MK for Genesis with a first party seal in 9.6 A+ (highest graded version ever offered by them) only sold for 9k in the last HA sig. I think that was the best bargain buy of that whole auction.

1 hour ago, GPX said:

To me, what is laughable isn’t how much the prices are going for necessarily. It’s more the issue of unanimous buyers (that nobody knows who they are) are jumping in at million dollar bids/offers without bothering to check on Ebay or ask a few questions on knowledgeable forums such as VGS.

To this point, one wonders if some of these people may be being deliberately led astray? Certainly the big-time hypers are going to do nothing to actually INFORM any of the rubes they're roping into this, it's a diet of 100% BS hype and nothing more.

Think about our dentist friend asking all of his rich idiot boomer buddies to contribute to the videogame speculation fund! I mean Dentist Supreme himself knows practically nothing about videogames... how much do you think his rich idiot mates know or care to know about them?

All they're doing is listening to the cash register ringing up and up and up, it's the blindfolded leading the blind! Makes a great show for the rest of us to watch at least, I guess, lol!  😅

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, OptOut said:

To this point, one wonders if some of these people may be being deliberately led astray? Certainly the big-time hypers are going to do nothing to actually INFORM any of the rubes they're roping into this, it's a diet of 100% BS hype and nothing more.

Think about our dentist friend asking all of his rich idiot boomer buddies to contribute to the videogame speculation fund! I mean Dentist Supreme himself knows practically nothing about videogames... how much do you think his rich idiot mates know or care to know about them?

All they're doing is listening to the cash register ringing up and up and up, it's the blindfolded leading the blind! Makes a great show for the rest of us to watch at least, I guess, lol!  😅

These buyers likely do all their research on Facebook because that's what all the smart people do.

• Agree 1