IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

On 9/16/2021 at 2:57 AM, FenrirZero said:

I have two points why I cannot agree with what you said.

Point #1: In regards to "conditional" rarity, @jonebone's review on the VGA-to-Wata scale, while using the Carolina Collection as a means of mapping this out, has shown that a VGA 85 is (at best) a 9.6 A. And that a VGA 85+ is (also at best) a 9.8 A++. With a VGA 90, at better odds, being a 9.8 A++. Which translates to them saying that their 9.8 A++ graded SMB 64s are more around a 85+ to 90, which VGA says are NM+ and NM+/Mint. Where as Wata says that an 85+ or higher is mint. Which means that a 9.6 A++ is as "time machine" mint as a 9.8 A++.

Point #2: The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 always depends on the graders. As an example, a number of CGC 9.8 graded comics would regrade as CBCS 9.6s. Because graders there were expected to grade softly when they have a large enough quota to meet. But even then, Wata themselves have admitted that VGA 90 is anything between a 9.4 A to a 9.8 A++. So in terms of grading, those 9.6 A++s and 9.8 A++s more than likely translate to either a VGA 90 or 90+. Because to get a 95 it has to look like it was it was in a shipping box's sweet spot prior to being graded.

So yeah... If you only collect 9.8 A++s, more power to ya. All I know is that I am willing to go for an 80+ if it looks 85. Just because there are just as many 'low grades' as there are high ones.

Which is not cheap, nor easy, thanks to my variation of Asperger's. 😅

I have crossed dozens of N64 games, and I can assure you that crossover article does not translate. VGA is quite lenient on box damage for N64 and weighs heavily the seal. I have had a number of 85+ hit from 8.0 to 9.0 with A++ seals. You likely are not getting a WATA 9.8 below a 90+, and quite often 90+ and above (including 95s) do not translate to a 9.8. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

I have crossed dozens of N64 games, and I can assure you that crossover article does not translate. VGA is quite lenient on box damage for N64 and weighs heavily the seal. I have had a number of 85+ hit from 8.0 to 9.0 with A++ seals. You likely are not getting a WATA 9.8 below a 90+, and quite often 90+ and above (including 95s) do not translate to a 9.8. 

To be fair, the article that Jone put together before Deniz published it on the Wata blog is tied to the Carolina Collection.

Which pre-dates any changes they have made when they started to grade your stuff. And when it comes to N64 having a better chance to get higher grades, I also think Jone talked about that on NA. Which is why I referenced what Deniz published, as opposed to question how Wata grades/cross-grades.

(For the record, CGA has a few terrible cross-grade policies. With their reasons making them be terrible.)

Plus I should repeat the notion on how the "Carolina Collection" sounds like a good BBQ place, and not a CGC rip-off done for publicity purposes. I recommend BJ's (the brewery, not what HA wants from Wata).

4 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

What you're describing is softness in the scale and not necessarily platform specific. 

There are definitely a lot of weak 85+ out there. But on the Wata scale there's a lot of weak A++ and I've even seen some weak 9.6. Those grades are absolutely infuriating if you pay up expecting a nice copy reflecting the grade and then you see it is clearly soft in hand.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, jonebone said:

What you're describing is softness in the scale and not necessarily platform specific. 

There are definitely a lot of weak 85+ out there. But on the Wata scale there's a lot of weak A++ and I've even seen some weak 9.6. Those grades are absolutely infuriating if you pay up expecting a nice copy reflecting the grade and then you see it is clearly soft in hand.

No, what I’m saying is WATA is more harsh on N64 than VGA is (because VGA is lenient in box damage and weighs seal heavily), though I agree it’s generally the other way around. I think VGA in general was too harsh for a long time and scared people away because of it. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster

2 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

No, what I’m saying is WATA is more harsh on N64 than VGA is (because VGA is lenient in box damage and weighs seal heavily), though I agree it’s generally the other way around. I think VGA in general was too harsh for a long time and scared people away because of it. 

I'm saying I have 9.6 Wata N64 game that is embarrassing. Both scales have plenty of weak examples unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

You’re not taking into account that when something is regraded (eg. VGA to WATA), there can be microwear during the transition, which can cause a lower grade.

If someone regrades a WATA 9.8A++ into VGA, then it also has a chance of getting a lower than expected score eg. VGA 85+ to VGA90.

18 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Care to detail what you're talking about?  I don't follow this head ache inducing garbage well anymore, just not worth the frustration.

Goldin Auctions had an auction and things did not sell for as much as they on HA

Edited by a3quit4s

On 9/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, CodysGameRoom said:

I made this meme and posted it to my IG story with the caption "me and my fiancé" and it was suggested that I post it here:

spacer.png

I dunno man, she might not be the one...  😉

Semi-seriously, my wife happened to be in the room when I first put on the now-infamous Karl Jobst video and she was riveted, actually kept up with the thread that was spurred on by it (and participated in it), etc.  And this is a woman who cares f-all about video games beyond playing the odd one now and again.  You can count the number of f's she gives about collecting on no hands, so it was quite refreshing to have someone on-site to discuss "current events" with.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

UH OH! Somebody paid $1.47 million dollars for a comic book graded CGC 8.0! Not even close to a 9.8! Better get the YouTube videos rollin! FRAUD ALERT! INSIDER TRADING! MONEY LAUNDERING!

Screenshot_20210921-123653_Gmail.jpg

Are you seriously this dense or just an ignorant troll?  There's an enormous difference between that kind of money for something representing such an iconic character, one that's been such for 80+ years, versus things involving characters many, many less people have given a shit about for less than 30 years.  Anyone who can't see that difference is being willfully ignorant or is just plain stupid.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Are you seriously this dense or just an ignorant troll?  There's an enormous difference between that kind of money for something representing such an iconic character, one that's been such for 80+ years, versus things involving characters many, many less people have given a shit about for less than 30 years.  Anyone who can't see that difference is being willfully ignorant or is just plain stupid.

It's not even the first appearance of Batman and it's not even close to exceptional condition. And just because something has been around longer than another thing doesn't mean that the older one should be more expensive. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Eyeroll 1

See this is where a Pop report comes in handy. On CGC's site, there are 16 other 8.0 Batman #1's, with only 18 copies in a higher grade. It's also the first appearance of Joker and Catwoman, so it's not like it's lacking in significance. To say an 8.0 is not exceptional condition is ignorant. Good luck finding another copy in better shape.

Edited by Prime2099

It's also from the original owner Larson Pedigree, which carries a premium too.  Comics also have been around for decades longer than video games and have had accumulated price increases throughout the years naturally. Video games just shot up 300%+ practically overnight.  You don't think that's a problem?

12 minutes ago, Caliboy24 said:

It's also from the original owner Larson Pedigree, which carries a premium too.  Comics also have been around for decades longer than video games and have had accumulated price increases throughout the years naturally. Video games just shot up 300%+ practically overnight.  You don't think that's a problem?

Your but but whatabout is no good here. One point four seven million dollars for an eight point oh