IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

4 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

Haha almost but maybe not that much, Deniz going on pawn stars and saying this mario is worth X is perfectly fine with me, if someone takes his word as gospel well…

Please show me evidence and not suppositions/speculation  ?

Firstly, Deniz going on Pawn Stars is not ok, but saying what he thinks a game is worth based on future potentials on HA and “offers” is already an unethical practice, seeing that he is linked with Jim and HA. 

When you say “evidence”, what are you hoping to find for it to be definitive? And how are any of us going to give you the evidence you need? I doubt any of us here are full-time detectives.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crystalis88 said:

Those are some amazing high grades! Freshly graded too! What a “collector”!

Exactly.  I can't recall which recent video or article I read it in, but I recollect a quote from him about how he didn't really know anything about video games before he got into WATA, implying that he wasn't a collector of such before that time.  That alone would make Haspel's "grail" tweet insincere enough to me, but combine that with how this feeds back into all of the WATA hype machine and I think we're getting closer to what's really going on with it.  Seeing as he co-founded CGC, he hardly had to wait until the last couple of years to purchase those "grails" if he really regarded them in that light.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GPX said:

Firstly, Deniz going on Pawn Stars is not ok, but saying what he thinks a game is worth based on future potentials on HA and “offers” is already an unethical practice, seeing that he is linked with Jim and HA. 

When you say “evidence”, what are you hoping to find for it to be definitive? And how are any of us going to give you the evidence you need? I doubt any of us here are full-time detectives.

Thats why we wait for the real investigation

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

I'd be the first to admit.  I am just jealous. 

I wouldn't call it jealousy but I do feel a slight sense of injustice seeing games bought by people who only view it as an investment.

Consider 2 people:

1. Someone who grows up obsessed with baseball, always watching games, collecting cards, posters on the wall, etc., and is now middle class with a 50k income.
  2. Someone who doesn't give a shit about sports, is interested in cars or something, who is making 1mil/year.

It feels to me like a bit of a dick move for person 2 to buy rare baseball cards and memorabilia just with the goal of making a profit.

Yeah, ultimately it's a free market, it's their money, and they're free to use it however they want. I wouldn't change that and I'm not even faulting someone for treating collectibles as an "alternative investment" - I just wish that those items could be cherished by people who have a passion for them, instead of being in purgatory in a safe deposit box or storage locker somewhere.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, inasuma said:

alright well sadly i can't verify as i have no idea how to access the auction listing. @tidaldreamscan you go to the comicconnect listing and check the ID on the back of the wata label?

i'll be surprised none if it's the same as the HA copy.

2021-09-07 20_08_38-Bioshock - Wata 9.8 A++ Sealed [Microsoft Security Label], Xbox360 _ Lot #66115 .png

Is that the order number? The first six digits are the same, so maybe the same person submitted both of them, but they are different. The slipcover is 9.4 on the comicconnect one and 9.0 on the HA one, I didn't even realize they grade that separately. $4.5k premium for a 0.4 increase on something in the footnotes O.o

image.png.4c16ad0898150b5dc59423102ebfacdc.png

2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Is that the order number? The first six digits are the same, so maybe the same person submitted both of them, but they are different. The slipcover is 9.4 on the comicconnect one and 9.0 on the HA one, I didn't even realize they grade that separately. $4.5k premium for a 0.4 increase on something in the footnotes O.o

image.png.4c16ad0898150b5dc59423102ebfacdc.png

I’m confused. I’m talking about the two 9.8 A++ listings you posted. I’m not sure what you’re referring to here. I’m talking about the order number yes.

Edited by inasuma

23 minutes ago, inasuma said:

I’m confused. I’m talking about the two 9.8 A++ listings you posted. I’m not sure what you’re referring to here. I’m talking about the order number yes.

The slipcover is graded separately on the back where the notes are. Even though they are both 9.8 A++, the comicconnect one has a 9.4 slipcover and the HA one has a 9.0 slipcover.

I think the same person submitted both of them because the 6 digit order number is the same, and they only differ by the three digits after the dash.

Edited by tidaldreams
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

The slipcover is graded separately on the back where the notes are. Even though they are both 9.8 A++, the comicconnect one has a 9.4 slipcover and the HA one has a 9.0 slipcover.

I think the same person submitted both of them because the 6 digit order number is the same, and they only differ by the three digits after the dash.

yes, that's what that means. Multiple items from the same order. If 004 and 008 were Bioshocks it seems reasonable to suspect that 005, 006 and 007 probably were too. 😄

I dunno if this is '9.4 slipcover vs 9.0 slipcover' or 'comicconnect vs HA' so much as it's "there are only so many people in this world willing to pay that much money for a copy of Bioshock, and after the comicconnect auction, one of them was out of the game"...:D

• Wow! 1

5 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

no human being with a brain buys a sealed x360 game for 10,000 usd

they're just pushing it because they bought hundreds of sealed x360 games dirt cheap and think they can do this with any game for any platform as long as it's sealed

if anybody has a more sensible explanation, go ahead

Is there anyone buying graded games in general that aren't doing it in hopes of reselling it for more money later? Who actually "collects" these? They just move from one "speculator" to another 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, Zach said:

Is there anyone buying graded games in general that aren't doing it in hopes of reselling it for more money later? Who actually "collects" these? They just move from one "speculator" to another 

I've considered it for a few specific titles, just stuff that means a lot to me personally. I have a sealed copy of Final Fantasy Legend II because the game got me through some tough times as a kid in the hospital. Back when Wata came out I actually was planning to send it in to them, but the process was cost prohibitive for me as a Canadian; it would have cost more than the game itself cost me.

I'm planning instead to just buy regular ol' acrylic cases for a few games instead. Plus side - I can still open up the acrylic cases to play my CIBs. It's more in line with my actual collecting anyway.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

no human being with a brain buys a sealed x360 game for 10,000 usd

they're just pushing it because they bought hundreds of sealed x360 games dirt cheap and think they can do this with any game for any platform as long as it's sealed

if anybody has a more sensible explanation, go ahead

They could be catering to people with more money than sense. This could be the sealed Spider-man all over again. I gamble $2 on a lottery ticket and some people gamble $10k on a sealed non-exclusive XBOX 360 game.

• Agree 1

On 8/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, B.A. said:

This wasn't directed at me but I can answer anyway as I talked to him last weekend. He kind of checked out before the end of NA as he got tired of the drama (advice maybe I should consider). He's doing really well though, focusing on his health, dropping a bunch of weight. He seems more like the happy dude he was when I first got to know him.

Yep, I'm still around and doing well.  Life gets busy and video games have to take a back seat to life at times.

I miss the people, lots of you here, but I've been limiting sources of frustration an conflict from my life in an attempt to get healthier mentally, physically and emotionally.... 

I won't get into alot of details, as this isn't the place, but to those who asked.  I'm around and kicking..  .  Diet, Exercise, and well being are my life at the moment.. 

If anyone ever needs to reach me, message me here, I'll get the message and respond asap.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I've considered it for a few specific titles, just stuff that means a lot to me personally. I have a sealed copy of Final Fantasy Legend II because the game got me through some tough times as a kid in the hospital. Back when Wata came out I actually was planning to send it in to them, but the process was cost prohibitive for me as a Canadian; it would have cost more than the game itself cost me.

I'm planning instead to just buy regular ol' acrylic cases for a few games instead. Plus side - I can still open up the acrylic cases to play my CIBs. It's more in line with my actual collecting anyway.

There's a guy in Greg's discord (not sure if he's here too, if he is, hi rdools!) who sells box protectors and acrylic cases in Canada:

https://videogameboxdefender.com/

I bought some GB-size acrylic cases off him, they're fine, can recommend, and no international shipping hassles.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, AdamW said:

There's a guy in Greg's discord (not sure if he's here too, if he is, hi rdools!) who sells box protectors and acrylic cases in Canada:

https://videogameboxdefender.com/

I bought some GB-size acrylic cases off him, they're fine, can recommend, and no international shipping hassles.

I memba @Rdools!

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Let me know if you ever want to send it in, I would be willing to send it for you. Otherwise you can also drive across the border and ship it from the US, the shipping cost would be much cheaper.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, tidaldreams said:

Let me know if you ever want to send it in, I would be willing to send it for you. Otherwise you can also drive across the border and ship it from the US, the shipping cost would be much cheaper.

Alas, I do not drive. I appreciate the offer, but I'll be sticking to the simple acrylic solution!