IGNORED

Bad Takes Thread

Over the last few days scanning over so many pages on the HA thread, I think I’ve overdosed on so many different takes. 😜

I think keeping an open mind is still needed as with any opinions, unless proven on the contrary with actual evidence.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Well yeah, that poster is wrong, but damn I wish they were right.

If anything, this debacle has just given much increased attention to the disgusting world of trading graded video games, and I'm pretty convinced tons of new people are going to jump aboard that wagon now 😩

Well, I was just browsing the current sealed video game auctions for all platforms and completed auctions for sealed raw, WATA games and VGA games post Karl Jobst video and it seems like you are correct. Prices are still ending very high but just not 6 and 7 figure amounts (although, I must also note, I don't think there has ever been a six figure ending price for a game on Ebay), like on Heritage Auctions, which I must say is understandable, because most high end collectors/sellers would rather not deal with the worry of buying/selling an extremely high end item on Ebay.

We still need to see how things will turn out in the long run (post Jobst video) but it appears as if everything is still "normal"  with the video game craze/mania.

2 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

These costs will continue to rise over time as more and more new collectors enter the hobby. You can take my hot take to the bank. Actually, get my hot take graded first, then take it to the bank.

I thought this was the thread for finding bad takes to point and laugh at, not to GIVE them! 🤣

• Haha 2

You guys can disagree about sealed game pricing but this is the exact things that were said in 2010 about prices. Do I think games should sale for 6-7 figures today? No but that conversation is going on in another thread. 

I'm not understanding why so many who do not study the sealed market or collect sealed think they understand the market and where it's headed. Hot take no one knows that and sealed games will still be valuable even after this bubble pops.

Edited by mlbfan10
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, OptOut said:

I thought this was the thread for finding bad takes to point and laugh at, not to GIVE them! 🤣

Lol yes. And I told you guys this thread is just for fun! I see some hilariously bad takes and my wife wouldn’t get them so I have to share them somewhere. Like:

D84762DD-38F9-4BA6-973F-56E6B87D7A73.jpeg

D2266F27-281A-4ABA-818A-3325FF4C27D9.jpeg

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, GPX said:

Over the last few days scanning over so many pages on the HA thread, I think I’ve overdosed on so many different takes. 😜

I think keeping an open mind is still needed as with any opinions, unless proven on the contrary with actual evidence.

Subscribe

19 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

I don't think there has ever been a six figure ending price for a game on Ebay),

Its possible you never seen any because ebay servers auto-delete them after 90 days? I've seen video game sales near $50,000 to north of $100,000 plus.

1. Bonk's Adventure NES Wata 9.2 A+

2. Bonk's Adventure NES Wata 9.4 A+

3. Metal Gear NES Wata 9.8 A++ (link n/a), Sold: $60,000 on 04.29.2021

4. Super Mario Bros NES Wata 9.2 A+ (link expired), Sold: $129,995 on 04.27.2021, Notes: Later Production

5. Pokémon: Blue Version GB Wata 9.6 A+ (link n/a), Sold: $49,900 on 05.20.2021

6. Pokémon Crystal GBA Wata 9.4 A++

7. Pokémon Crystal GBA VGA 90 Gold (link expired), Sold: $125,000 on 04.27.2021

8. Batman NES Wata 9.8 A+

9. The Legend of Zelda NES VGA 85 Silver (link n/a), Sold: $150,000 on 04.19.2021, Notes: Early Production, Non Rev-A

10. Masters of the Universe: TPoHM 2600 Wata 9.6 A (unsure if sold)

1 hour ago, AnimalHouse said:

Its possible you never seen any because ebay servers auto-delete them after 90 days? I've seen video game sales near $50,000 to north of $100,000 plus.

4. Super Mario Bros NES Wata 9.2 A+ (link expired), Sold: $129,995 on 04.27.2021, Notes: Later Production

9. The Legend of Zelda NES VGA 85 Silver (link n/a), Sold: $150,000 on 04.19.2021, Notes: Early Production, Non Rev-A

Hm you do realize that all these games you linked had “best offer?” You know that typically if a game sells and has a best offer option, it’s usually for quite a bit less than the listed price but eBay doesn’t show you actual sold price because they are scum? And it may not have actually even sold at all? People take eBay completed sold listings for face value and it’s a massive problem. 

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.

3 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

I don’t mean to be a debbie downer but I believe these prices would need to be verified by the sellers?

It’s possible the sellers sent an offer to an interested buyer and we wouldn’t know the difference since eBay doesn’t disclose that type of private offer.

Edited by inasuma

There are websites like 130 point that can nail down final price, but given like 25% of sales on Ebay end up not being paid or a nightmare, people generally avoid them for large sales. Happens on other forums as well, just nowhere near the level of Ebay. And there are better guarantees and safety measures elsewhere.

Edited by ExplodedHamster

13 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Hm you do realize that all these games you linked had “best offer?” You know that typically if a game sells and has a best offer option, it’s usually for quite a bit less than the listed price but eBay doesn’t show you actual sold price because they are scum? And it may not have actually even sold at all? People take eBay completed sold listings for face value and it’s a massive problem. 

I saw #2 with accepted best offer but not all. I'm aware but I wanted to show viewers not all sales are four digits and low five digits. The problem with ebay, which many of you are aware is the ended listings disappear after the 90 day mark. Its entirely possible they existed but are deleted and forever a mystery. Its not like other sites (HA or CL), where you can look up old listings. 

11 hours ago, inasuma said:

I don’t mean to be a debbie downer but I believe these prices would need to be verified by the sellers?

It’s possible the sellers sent an offer to an interested buyer and we wouldn’t know the difference since eBay doesn’t disclose that type of private offer.

Unfortunately, the ones with expired links or no links. I did not save there usernames because I didn't know I would need them later but the others your more than welcome to ask yourself. Agreed, anything's possible. The msg "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available" for seller overheatgames, I did ask him on a number of other high five and six figure sales that he confirmed. I assumed these did too.

One thing I will point out is I couldn't find any high five or six figure sale feedback from buyers on the sellers feedback profile. I'm assuming buyers want to remain anonymous, the deal fell through or another reason. Doing a quick search for high priced sold video games, I found a $60,000 sale from seller rarebucky. Not sure if this is valid?

Edited by AnimalHouse
spelling

43 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

I saw #2 with accepted best offer but not all. I'm aware but I wanted to show viewers not all sales are four digits and low five digits. The problem with ebay, which many of you are aware is the ended listings disappear after the 90 day mark. Its entirely possible they existed but are deleted and forever a mystery. Its not like other sites (HA or CL), where you can look up old listings. 

Unfortunately, the ones with expired links or no links. I did not save there usernames because I didn't know I would need them later but the others your more than welcome to ask yourself. Agreed, anything's possible. The msg "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available" for seller overheatgames, I did ask him on a number of other high five and six figure sales that he confirmed. I assumed these did too.

One thing I will point out is I couldn't find any high five or six figure sale feedback from buyers on the sellers feedback profile. I'm assuming buyers want to remain anonymous, the deal fell through or another reason. Doing a quick search for high priced sold video games, I found a $60,000 sale from seller rarebucky. Not sure if this is valid?

Not only do they delete listings after 90 days, but you can't see any of your orders over 90 days either.

43 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Not only do they delete listings after 90 days, but you can't see any of your orders over 90 days either.

I haven't sold anything on ebay in roughly 7 or 8 years, so I am going off memory here. Does the above apply to fixed duration 30 days, GTC or both? 

If it were set to GTC and you received a sale. The listing wouldn't end but wouldn't be active/live either. So if it sits idle for 90 days, it would delete. What happens if you edit and save the listing every 30 days, would this reset the 90 day timer or no change?

Another trick could be, you receive a sale on your fixed duration GTC listing. You do not have another item for sale but do not want the listing to delete in 90 days. So you edit the quantity back to 1 but fill the price with an astronomical number that nobody will pay. After the 90 days mark, the listing should be active with the previous sale visible as "1 sold" and details shown after you click it.

Thats all got.

Edited by AnimalHouse

2 minutes ago, AnimalHouse said:

I haven't sold anything on ebay in roughly 7 or 8 years, so I am going off memory here.

1. Does the above apply to fixed duration 30 days, GTC or both? 

If it were set to GTC and you received a sale. The listing wouldn't end but wouldn't be active/live either. So if it sits idle for 90 days, it would delete. What happens if you edit and save the listing every 30 days, would this reset the 90 day timer or no change?

Another trick could be, you receive a sale on your fixed duration GTC listing. You do not have another item for sale but do not want the listing to delete in 90 days. So you edit the quantity back to 1 but fill the price with an astronomical number that nobody will pay. After the 90 days mark, the listing should be active with the previous sale visible as "1 sold."

Thats all got.

Everything is GTC now, technically it is still on the 30 day window, but it will just auto renew after 30 days. Yeah, looks like you can still see solds that are past 90 days if they are replenishables, but you can't see the order.

You can also pull them up on terapeak up to a year I think but the listings aren't clickable past 90 days.

3 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

I’m not particularly motivated to find out the actual sales numbers, but if you’ve confirmed a few then that’s decent data. Thanks!

I can believe rarebucky sold a mid to high five figure game. He’s apparently a big time sealed collector and seller.