IGNORED

Bad Takes Thread

1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

This is someone who can afford to spend $1.5 M on a single item. I’m very confident they don’t think like you. It’s the old saying… “the rich are different.”

Lol, some dude takes an 800,000 grand cold shower naked in front of the world, less than two months after making the biggest videogame purchase of all time?

Yeah, you're right this IS the bad takes thread if you think that didn't fuggin pinch a little! 😅

• Agree 1

One day people are going to realize that an auction price does not mean it is not worth that much. And that they will also realize that it is how much a bidder is willing to pay. With the add-on being that average non-auction sales being how the secondary market determines a product's value.

And when they do... They will also learn why it is a good idea to wear brown pants when a revelation like that one comes along. Regardless of what they ate before they realized those things.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

One day people are going to realize that an auction price does not mean it is not worth that much. And that they will also realize that it is how much a bidder is willing to pay. With the add-on being that average non-auction sales being how the secondary market determines a product's value.

And when they do... They will also learn why it is a good idea to wear brown pants when a revelation like that one comes along. Regardless of what they ate before they realized those things.

Note to self: dont eat Thai for the October sig

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, OptOut said:

Lol, some dude takes an 800,000 grand cold shower naked in front of the world, less than two months after making the biggest videogame purchase of all time?

Yeah, you're right this IS the bad takes thread if you think that didn't fuggin pinch a little! 😅

I mean, they didn't take an 800 grand cold shower. They bought a copy of SM64. They still have it. You're committing the oldest investing mistake in the world. The thing you have is the thing you have, not its apparent monetary value in some sale you're not involved in. If you bought 10 shares of BobCo, you have ten shares of BobCo. If ten shares of BobCo sell on Monday for a nickel, you still have ten shares of BobCo, not a nickel. If ten shares of BobCo sell on Tuesday for a billion dollars, you still have ten shares of BobCo, not a billion dollars.

This kind of mindset is what causes people to sell at the bottom of market crashes, which is always a terrible idea...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 2

50 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I mean, they didn't take an 800 grand cold shower. They bought a copy of SM64. They still have it. You're committing the oldest investing mistake in the world. The thing you have is the thing you have, not its apparent monetary value in some sale you're not involved in. If you bought 10 shares of BobCo, you have ten shares of BobCo. If ten shares of BobCo sell on Monday for a nickel, you still have ten shares of BobCo, not a nickel. If ten shares of BobCo sell on Tuesday for a billion dollars, you still have ten shares of BobCo, not a billion dollars.

This kind of mindset is what causes people to sell at the bottom of market crashes, which is always a terrible idea...

I'm not committing any investing mistakes at all, I've steered clear of the entire sordid mess!

And, somehow, I'm STILL 800,000 dollars ahead of the dummy who bought that Mario! 🤣

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

I'm not committing any investing mistakes at all, I've steered clear of the entire sordid mess!

And, somehow, I'm STILL 800,000 dollars ahead of the dummy who bought that Mario! 🤣

Do you know what Litecoin is? If you pull up it's life history of pricing, there's a point a few years ago where it spiked to like $300 something per litecoin. That's me. Sitting at the top of that mountain. Waiting. But at least the view is great! Just me and my litecoin up there, hanging out, judging!

14 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Do you know what Litecoin is? If you pull up it's life history of pricing, there's a point a few years ago where it spiked to like $300 something per litecoin. That's me. Sitting at the top of that mountain. Waiting. But at least the view is great! Just me and my litecoin up there, hanging out, judging!

You mean you got in at 300? Oof, good luck dude, seriously! 😅

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AdamW said:

Ok. True. But what you DON'T have is the 1.5 million you spent on the SM 64. You have a copy of SM 64, but you dont have 1.5 million.  So then, inevitably,  there has to come a time when you ask yourself... would I rather have that 1.5 million dollars? Maybe, to buy other things? Or a copy of SM 64... Sitting in a safe or a deposit box somewhere. 

How long does a stubborn chicken sit on a rotten egg waiting for it to hatch?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Ok. True. But what you DON'T have is the 1.5 million you spent on the SM 64. You have a copy of SM 64, but you dont have 1.5 million.  So then, inevitably,  there has to come a time when you ask yourself... would I rather have that 1.5 million dollars? Maybe, to buy other things? Or a copy of SM 64... Sitting in a safe or a deposit box somewhere. 

The thing is, a 9.8 A++ SM64 doesn't come along often. Sometimes you overpay for a chance to get something like that, instead of missing out. If it ends up being worth $3M a couple years from now, there's currently only two people who can capitalize on that return. One will make $2.2M (minus fees) on that sale, another will make $1.5M (minus fees) on that sale, and some of you will still be bragging about how you didn't lose $800k you never had. 

4 hours ago, Gulag Joe said:

The difference is you bought Litecoin, one of the most pointless cryptocurrencies to ever exist, instead of Super Mario 64, one of the most important video games of all time. 

Sorry, I feel bad for you, but you got duped. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

The thing is, a 9.8 A++ SM64 doesn't come along often. Sometimes you overpay for a chance to get something like that, instead of missing out. If it ends up being worth $3M a couple years from now, there's currently only two people who can capitalize on that return. One will make $2.2M (minus fees) on that sale, another will make $1.5M (minus fees) on that sale, and some of you will still be bragging about how you didn't lose $800k you never had. 

Oh, so it's worth THREE million now is it?! Holy shit, man, the amount of cope going on in this thread is UNREAL! 🤣

22 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Sorry, I feel bad for you, but you got duped. 

Wait are you talking to @Gulag Joe or the million dollar Mario mark?

Because, from where I'm sitting Ol' Joe is probably doing WAY better with his lite coins than Mario man!

You didn't flush 800k into Lite coin did you Joey boy? 😉

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Oh, so it's worth THREE million now is it?! Holy shit, man, the amount of cope going on in this thread is UNREAL! 🤣

Nothing ever appreciates in value. The price you pay for something today is the ceiling, you will never sell it for more. If the price goes down, it will never go back up. /s

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

This is always a risk, sure. But when you buy something as an investment, you consider - at least, anyway, you ought to consider - the potential upside, potential downside, and how long you're expecting to hold it. Unless $1.5m Person had a timeframe for realizing their investment of "about a month", it would be a mistake for them to care too hard about what another copy sold for a month later. If there's a months or years-long trend of declining prices and no indication they might recover, then they might start thinking about writing it off as a dead loss. But one lower sale within what's probably a much shorter timeframe than they were considering? Not a big issue, unless they're doing this very very wrong (which is always a possibility :>)

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

This is always a risk, sure. But when you buy something as an investment, you consider - at least, anyway, you ought to consider - the potential upside, potential downside, and how long you're expecting to hold it. Unless $1.5m Person had a timeframe for realizing their investment of "about a month", it would be a mistake for them to care too hard about what another copy sold for a month later. If there's a months or years-long trend of declining prices and no indication they might recover, then they might start thinking about writing it off as a dead loss. But one lower sale within what's probably a much shorter timeframe than they were considering? Not a big issue, unless they're doing this very very wrong (which is always a possibility :>)

The real 5Head investor play is for the $1.5M buyer to *ALSO* purchase the $800k copy and lower their cost basis. Only an idiot would buy a Mario 64 for $1.5M, but a savvy investor buys multiple Mario 64s at $1.18M each.

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Maertens29 said:

The real 5Head investor play is for the $1.5M buyer to *ALSO* purchase the $800k copy and lower their cost basis. Only an idiot would buy a Mario 64 for $1.5M, but a savvy investor buys multiple Mario 64s at $1.18M each.

That doesn't sound right. If the objects are not identical can you really combine the cost and split to reach basis?

25 minutes ago, Maertens29 said:

For all we know, the buyer might be rich enough to corner the market on SM64 9.8 A++'s and just buy every one that becomes available 🤔

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Nothing ever appreciates in value. The price you pay for something today is the ceiling, you will never sell it for more. If the price goes down, it will never go back up. /s

I sense some sarcasm here. Though I do have one genuine question. The Atari Spiderman 9.8A++ was the ceiling price when it was first auctioned and has still remained the ceiling price. How are you confident that the 1.5M Mario 64 will go up in value and not be a similar ceiling price on its first auction appearance?

Bearing in mind, a lot of long-term sealed collectors were in unison that the Mario 64 price was a bit of a head-scratch, to put it mildly.

4 hours ago, GPX said:

I sense some sarcasm here. Though I do have one genuine question. The Atari Spiderman 9.8A++ was the ceiling price when it was first auctioned and has still remained the ceiling price. How are you confident that the 1.5M Mario 64 will go up in value and not be a similar ceiling price on its first auction appearance?

I literally have no idea and no opinion. You should ask the guy who bought it.

Just now, OptOut said:

Oh, so this is the NO takes thread then?! 😅

This is my thread where I post bad takes for fun. I already left the other thread where I got attacked for things I never even claimed and blocked people for being assholes toward me. 

For the record, when I said “if it ends up being worth $3M in two years,” I wasn’t making a prediction. It’s a hypothetical! I have no idea what will happen and no skin in the game. If I had any idea I would have been collecting and grading sealed games 2 years ago!

Can we have fun on here or do we need to keep at this?