IGNORED

Bad Takes Thread

19 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Also @GPX my original point in saying the buyer might not think like us is that it’s possible they don’t care they “overpaid.” Maybe they have enough money that it’s not a big deal to them. Maybe they just wanted to flex. 

I understand your point, though I don’t think there are that many millionaires with that kind of spending habits or treat money like tissue paper. Anyway, to each their own. Let the party continue! 🤠

• Agree 1

Just now, GPX said:

I understand your point, though I don’t think there are that many millionaires with that kind of spending habits or treat money like tissue paper. Anyway, to each their own. Let the party continue! 🤠

https://dqydj.com/millionaires-in-america

That site reckons there are 1.45m US households with net worth in excess of $10m, 97k with over $50m, and 35k with over $100m...

20 hours ago, AdamW said:

I mean, they didn't take an 800 grand cold shower. They bought a copy of SM64. They still have it. You're committing the oldest investing mistake in the world. The thing you have is the thing you have, not its apparent monetary value in some sale you're not involved in. If you bought 10 shares of BobCo, you have ten shares of BobCo. If ten shares of BobCo sell on Monday for a nickel, you still have ten shares of BobCo, not a nickel. If ten shares of BobCo sell on Tuesday for a billion dollars, you still have ten shares of BobCo, not a billion dollars.

This kind of mindset is what causes people to sell at the bottom of market crashes, which is always a terrible idea...

Sorry but I must disagree with everything you just said. 😅

As per to what CAS says in regards to taking care of your collectibles:

Most damage and deterioration from sunlight, fluctuating temperatures and humidity occurs when an item is left unattended in an extraordinarily harsh environment. Inspection and early detection is the key to preserving your cherished collectibles and retaining their maximum value. Here are a few preservation tips:

Sunlight: While Collector Archive Services uses some of the finest ultraviolet-resistant acrylic on the market, we strongly recommend keeping your collectibles away from direct sunlight. Any collector should always be conscious of his or her display environment.

Temperature: High temperatures may increase the probability of mildew, frosting, warping or shrinking cellophane, and yellowing of blisters or tape. Fluctuating temperatures contribute to the deterioration of plastic, cardboard and other packaging materials. All collectibles should be kept inside an environment with temperature between 59 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

Humidity: Prolonged exposure to high humidity can lead to severe swelling and deterioration of paper products; growth of mold and mildew; yellowing of blisters, cellophane, and tape; and discoloration of plastic and vinyl parts. All collectibles should be kept in a climate-controlled environment that is relatively dry and devoid of moisture. In climates where this is difficult, Collector Archive Services strongly recommends the purchase and use of a dehumidifier.

Circulation: Circulation and airflow is very important to your collectibles, particularly if they are being moved from one climate to another. Collector Archive Services leaves one thin open seam along the bottom of every archived acrylic case so your item can breathe. To make sure this is being achieved as desired, be sure to inspect those items not on display several times a year by removing the 6-mil protective polybag, which creates an airtight seal.

All those things are the proverbial $800K cold shower that @OptOut is talking about. Because that money could have been used to add UV filtering products on all glass-related products (and not just windows), a means to maintain both temperature and humidity in that room, any insurance add-ons, and Swifter products.

Plus... Owning stock comes with the chance that you can receive dividends. Meaning that you have the chance to get paid for just owning said shares in BobCo. Atop of being invited to their shareholder meetings, and the chance of receiving any additional gifts or benefits they have to offer.

With the tax portion depending on how much you make (or lost). Where as you cannot write off anything tied to a collectible since it cannot be treated as either a business investment or expense. 😅

Then again, I prefer Sotheby's over HA when it comes to auctions. They at least give an honest grade and report when it comes to any collectibles they are auctioning off, atop of letting the bidders know what it is really worth.

• Confused 2

I should clarify what I am saying (as it might be confusing to some here). 😅

The difference between owning a graded collectible and owning shares in the business is based on two things:

1) Owning a graded collectible is like having kids. You start off wanting them, pay lots of money to have it be a reality, and you spend even more money taking care of them. With this being a neverending cycle that can leave you pissed off, unappreciated, and maybe wait for the day it ends.

2) Owning shares in a business is no different than sending those kids off to camp or have them sleep at a family member's home. You literally can drink a beer while claiming that wearing socks does not make you be naked and still reap from  the benefits, as it is somebody else's responsibility to make sure they protect what is yours.

In the end it is like this...

You can choose to pay an extra $80 because the chair is a name brand, or buy one that is very similar in appearance and spend that $80 on clothes that any of you are willing willing to wear.

And personally speaking, I would prefer not having your bare ass sweating on my chair if I had a choice. 😅

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AdamW said:

https://dqydj.com/millionaires-in-america

That site reckons there are 1.45m US households with net worth in excess of $10m, 97k with over $50m, and 35k with over $100m...

Not arguing how many millionaires exist, but I’m suggesting that millionaires who spend willy nilly are not very common at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I just want to clarify that I bought only one litecoin for $300. Not 1.5 million dollars worth of litecoin. If I bought 1.5 million dollars worth of litecoin, my investment would currently be about the same value as the second Mario 64 9.8 A++ that was sold! Oh the irony!

Edited by Gulag Joe
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get featured on the first page of r/gamecollecting 🤣

image.png.60d5f50c3dc294212a05ce213dbcfe16.png

Seriously though, what's up with this subreddit that claims it's a "A Community for Video Game Collectors!"? Most of the posts are about picking up crappy games from yard sales for a cheap price, with half the users congratulating the OP and the other half claiming it's fake 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

Seriously though, what's up with this subreddit that claims it's a "A Community for Video Game Collectors!"? Most of the posts are about picking up crappy games from yard sales for a cheap price, with half the users congratulating the OP and the other half claiming it's fake 🤔

The double standard in that sub is extremely nauseating. I haven't been there in a long while, but what you say is exactly my experience. Collecting purists can eat my shorts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, inasuma said:

The double standard in that sub is extremely nauseating. I haven't been there in a long while, but what you say is exactly my experience. Collecting purists can eat my shorts.

I don't want any of these types of people buying from me and this post flushed out quite a few of them so I'd say a win for me overall 😄

• Agree 1

On 10/24/2021 at 1:19 PM, tidaldreams said:

Reading down the list of posts, I am surprised how many pple are ripping on your listing. It looks like some have taken a step further by reporting your listing for keyword/browse manipulation. You may want to edit your title fast!!

I agree, spamming the title on ebay is rampant and can confuse pple new to the hobby. The titles I find funny are the ones that read "VGA graded, not Wata" or vis versa. Anyone with half a brain know the difference between a VGA and Wata slab looks like. Now if it were VGA vs P1. I can see how pple can get confuse. 

Last but not least VGG, example listing here. I don't know how anyone would confuse this for a Wata slab lol.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:19 AM, tidaldreams said:

That dumpster fire of a sub is basically:

image.png.ee9e5f1abc48ad40a7e5fdb9db5aa495.png

Saw that post and chuckled at the repsonses.

Over and over again, real poor logic, bottom of the barrel stuff for the most part.

I can understand people not gravitating to new/sealed/graded stuff but the mental gymnastics people conjure to hate on it is hilarious.

Saw this in my FB news feed last night. Six month old post with a few recent comments  trying for a weird attempt at a gotcha moment here over half a year later. Along with some mental gymnastics regarding condition/rarity from old mate Rusty. WATA is finished, Uncle Karl said so! Pack it all up boys and girls,etc.

216885339_ScreenShot2021-10-27at6_27_49pm.thumb.png.71d6205ef78da830c169adacc1a9a882.png

1290416397_ScreenShot2021-10-27at6_47_41pm.png.747dd458fee70fd16353ef99ae314ab4.png

858106660_ScreenShot2021-10-27at6_16_57pm.png.5459fe31ddb38e9f78850fcb440a4d09.png

Not like Starcraft 64 is overly rare anyways tbh so the premise doesn't really apply....the gaming groups and Reddit can be an absolute cesspool sometimes! Lot more venom and toxicity than usual recently.

Edited by Super Nintendo Chalmers
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Super Nintendo Chalmers said:

Not like Starcraft 64 is overly rare anyways tbh so the premise doesn't really apply....the gaming groups and Reddit can be an absolute cesspool sometimes! Lot more venom and toxicity than usual recently.

I don't really have a comment on the general content of your post, but on the Starcraft I think it's worth mentioning that's the PAL version of Starcraft 64, which is among the rarest games for the PAL set, and certainly the most expensive.

I would imagine even in that condition it should fetch north of 2-3 thousand dollars (US), it was only released in the PAL format in Australia and is basically a grail of the PAL N64 set.

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

I don't really have a comment on the general content of your post, but on the Starcraft I think it's worth mentioning that's the PAL version of Starcraft 64, which is among the rarest games for the PAL set, and certainly the most expensive.

I would imagine even in that condition it should fetch north of 2-3 thousand dollars (US), it was only released in the PAL format in Australia and is basically a grail of the PAL N64 set.

Oh no doubt, its not quite that htf or that extremely limited copy-wise to justify old mates' stretch of a statement is all. You'd see about 3-4 CIB Aus copies publicly up for sale each year across various platforms. 

Edited by Super Nintendo Chalmers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

This has got to be the funniest looking slab I've seen in a while. Wtf is this??? lmao

What is with companies using the default font for whichever software they design their labels in? 

- CGC using myriad pro, default in adobe indesign.

- VGG uses Calibri, the default font in... microsoft word (no idea if thats actually where they designed it but knowing this industry I'll believe anything).

I don't mean this as a jab either... This is just a common issue with industries that don't embrace designers for improved brand identity. Sadly the collectibles market is just one fish in the sea.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, inasuma said:

What is with companies using the default font for whichever software they design their labels in? 

- CGC using myriad pro, default in adobe indesign.

- VGG uses Calibri, the default font in... microsoft word (no idea if thats actually where they designed it but knowing this industry I'll believe anything).

I don't mean this as a jab either... This is just a common issue with industries that don't embrace designers for improved brand identity. Sadly the collectibles market is just one fish in the sea.

You should go read the VGG thread. It is a good laugh. I’m pretty sure he made that label in word. You can read all about the font debacle on the last few pages.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

You should go read the VGG thread. It is a good laugh. I’m pretty sure he made that label in word. You can read all about the font debacle on the last few pages.

lol yeah i was in the party of folks one who called the guy out for seeking free design work from members here. 🙄

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Super Nintendo Chalmers said:

....the gaming groups and Reddit can be an absolute cesspool sometimes! Lot more venom and toxicity than usual recently.

I am not one bit shocked, nor surprised, by this. Passive-aggressive self-entitlement is pretty much the #1 reason why I had no success of any kind prior to the moment I started to collect MOC Star Wars figures. With it being the only reason why I brought that up, as opposed to the other things I stopped promoting here. 😅

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Been a while. Necrobump time. Here’s the latest from Reddit, and yes the replies are equally entertaining:

2EEE4C0F-6E90-4796-AA3F-7CC8EC15E851.jpeg

rEaL cOlLeCtOrS!

Love when people blame the steady rise in retro prices over the last decade+ solely on WATA. Especially when it comes from youtubers who make "hidden gem" videos. The ones where you can draw a directly line from the video to the price hike. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

rEaL cOlLeCtOrS!

Love when people blame the steady rise in retro prices over the last decade+ solely on WATA. Especially when it comes from youtubers who make "hidden gem" videos. The ones where you can draw a directly line from the video to the price hike. 

I'm not trying to be mean, but I think the same could be said about putting the blame on the "hidden gems" videos.  I do get the affect, but it's not like MJR talks about 10 new "hidden gems" every week, plus even at that rate, it'd take a long time to account for the massive spike over that past 20 years.

I don't put the blame, per se, on Wata but they are a HUGE part in moving people into game collecting as a "speculative investment".  Before that, we were all mostly collectors that enjoyed owning this stuff for the sake and enjoyment of sheer collecting.  Maybe you collected to play, or maybe you collected for nice, shelf-candy pieces or maybe you enjoyed the hunt of digging deep, picking up every copy of every NES game you saw in a shop, just to hunt down new and odd variants.  Regardless, there was a shift about 3-4 years ago and people started to think "Hey, I owned that as a kid!  What, it's worth how much?!  I think I'll grab a few of my old games and hold onto them.  They might be worth 10x in the future!"

My point being, Wata's mass-marketing brought in those willing to collect for the sake of pure-speculation in value.  I don't appreciate that.  I mean, I kind of saw that coming because that's how nostalgia works with enough time, but Wata escalated the speed in which that happened.  I'm not bitter, but I'm not going to ignore that they had a hand in the mass FOMO around game collecting these past few years either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1