Superior N64 game - Mario or Zelda OoT?

Nintegageo

Which is the superior game?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior game?

• Mario 64
    • Zelda Ocarina of Time

40 minutes ago, Sumez said:

This nails it super well. Zelda 64 is full of fun puzzles, cool setpieces and great worldbuilding, but a lot of that is also seen done better in many other games, includes other games of the same franchise.

Mario 64, meanwhile, is just fun to simply play. It's bonafide video game.

As far as I'm concerned, OoT is super fun to play too, honestly. The combat in that game works so well, swinging your sword around and all the different weapons and stuff. Plus I think they handle movement really well in OoT as well, with the auto jumping and everything, Link just FITS in his environment super well IMO.

Not to take anything away from Mario 64 tho of course, we are talking about basically two of the best games of all time here! 

And also Goldeneye.

• Like 1

For me where Mario 64 excels is that it gives you a set of moves (back flip, wall jump, triple jump etc) and a non linear obstacle course for each level, where your goal is just to grab the stars. There’s a path they want you to take, but nothing stops you from getting creative and messing around with the moves you have available to you and finding unique ways to get the stars. So anytime I replay the game I’m thinking what are some different ways I can go about getting the star, maybe it’s a faster way or a harder way with a cool looking maneuver. Just look at a Mario 64 speed run, most of the moves they do aren’t too difficult with a few tries, and they’re super fun to pull off. 

That said I haven’t played OOT so can’t really compare them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

For me where Mario 64 excels is that it gives you a set of moves (back flip, wall jump, triple jump etc) and a non linear obstacle course for each level, where your goal is just to grab the stars. There’s a path they want you to take, but nothing stops you from getting creative and messing around with the moves you have available to you and finding unique ways to get the stars. So anytime I replay the game I’m thinking what are some different ways I can go about getting the star, maybe it’s a faster way or a harder way with a cool looking maneuver. Just look at a Mario 64 speed run, most of the moves they do aren’t too difficult with a few tries, and they’re super fun to pull off. 

That said I haven’t played OOT so can’t really compare them 

Actually, that's a large reason why the Mario game is the better one, despite the nerd rage of 'best ever' Ocarina has been given since the 90s.  Ocarina doesn't have that same kind of freedom, despite all the love, even then it got ragged on for the lack of a simple jump button and more tight/varied control in those big environment.  Not that it's on rails, it's not, but it's more limited than Mario where you basically could get away with whatever within the engine limitations.  Zelda you can't even go over a rock that's knee height like it's bionic commando or something if the game doesn't want you doing it,  yet steps that size you'll go right up.  Zelda has that lock on camera for a reason, you won't keep up as the controls just aren't there for combat without being able to latch onto what's attacking.  Zelda also doesn't have a lot of freedom other than the open fields, the dungeons can be a bit done out of order, but not much, it's fairly linear in the big perspective of it all.

Mario 64 though, you can minimally star up enough to hit each bowser battle door lock to go to the next space.  And then as you said, you can nail down the stars however you want, Mario nudged direction or not on foot(or air, water), or preferred star order or not, it doesn't matter.  There's just so much more to try and do in those spaces, and even the spaes in between spaces as the castle isn't a snore to navigate either.

I was thinking out how I voted, Ocarina is a fine game, but it's limited, keeping the feelings out of either and just picking between the two at face value.  Mario will last you far longer as it has far more to do, ways to do it, and weird stuff to attempt doing too.

• Like 1

I have a confession. I’ve never got further than a 15 minute playthrough of Zelda OOT. On the other hand, I’ve completed Mario 64 with all the stars (both on the N64 and the DS). This was more due to life circumstances rather than choice necessarily.

I’m familiar enough with the Zelda franchise having played significant amounts of Zelda Link to the Past and Twilight Princess; and Zelda Wind Waker being the one and only Zelda game I’ve completed. 

Both N64 games are stunning examples of their respective genres, with both Mario 64 and Zelda OOT doing the 3D platform and 3D RPG genres proud. Obviously, I voted Mario 64 as a gamer, but from a historical point of view, both are genuine masterpieces.

• Like 1

Similar to others, I love both games to death, and have played through Super Mario 64 probably at least 15 times with all 120 stars, but Ocarina of Time takes it. I've only played through it probably 3 or 4 times, but that's because of the scope of the game. But every time I do, I'm reminded how special it is and how great it truly is.

5 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Harvest Moon 64

Honestly, I don't like either game.  One is a generic 3D platformer, and the other is an average at best action-adventure. 

Bear in mind they seem average/generic because they were actually the trendsetters for 3D Action/RPG. There was nothing like those 2 games back then that were comparable within their respective genres.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, GPX said:

Bear in mind they seem average/generic because they were actually the trendsetters for 3D Action/RPG. There was nothing like those 2 games back then that were comparable within their respective genres.

Mario 64 just expanded on the basics laid down by Crash Bandicoot, Gex, and even Sonic.  They were hardly trendsetters, it's just people have always had this inexplicable boner for that mustachioed plumber.  As for Zelda, it was flat out BORING.  I honestly never could figure out what the hype was about, because man did it ever blow chunks.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Mario 64 just expanded on the basics laid down by Crash Bandicoot, Gex, and even Sonic.  They were hardly trendsetters, it's just people have always had this inexplicable boner for that mustachioed plumber.  As for Zelda, it was flat out BORING.  I honestly never could figure out what the hype was about, because man did it ever blow chunks.

Well that escalated quickly.

Actually, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory is thr better game.

Edited by Californication

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Hot takes, coming through

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Crash, Gex and Sonic weren’t nowhere near as good as Mario 64 in the 3D realm. Mario 64 was a trendsetter due to its 3D environment mixed with adequate camera angles. It was the first of its kind that made 3D platforming a truly satisfying experience. It’s a genuine classic because it still holds up well even by today’s standards. 

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, GPX said:

Crash, Gex and Sonic weren’t nowhere near as good as Mario 64 in the 3D realm. Mario 64 was a trendsetter due to its 3D environment mixed with adequate camera angles. It was the first of its kind that made 3D platforming a truly satisfying experience. It’s a genuine classic because it still holds up well even by today’s standards. 

It also predates literally every single 3D platformer in the series' he mentioned, per my post above. Not sure how he thinks Mario 64 expanded upon games that didn't exist yet. Some sort of future vision on Nintendo's part perhaps.

Future insight into games published exclusively by their competitors, at that. They have FUTURE SPIES!

• Wow! 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

It also predates literally every single 3D platformer in the series' he mentioned, per my post above.

I think there were some 3D-platforming attempts on the PS1 prior to Mario 64, but it never felt right until Mario 64 showed itself. Pretty much same goes for Zelda OOT with respect to the 3D action/RPG genre.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, GPX said:

I think there were some 3D-platforming attempts on the PS1 prior to Mario 64, but it never felt right until Mario 64 showed itself. Pretty much same goes for Zelda OOT with respect to the 3D action/RPG genre.

For sure, I just found it funny that every example provided was invalid lol.

24 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Mario 64 (original Japan release): June 23, 1996

Crash Bandicoot: September 9, 1996

Gex (Enter the Gecko - the first non-sidescroller): January 31, 1998

Sonic Adventure (1st actual 3D sonic game): December 23, 1998

🤔

I actually didn't realize Mario was before all those PS1 games.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

That’s why it was such a big deal. What they managed to do with very little outside reference was really impressive 

Which also in turn created this new limbo bar to deal with, or fall on your ass over.  Sadly, most as with limbo, ended on the floor.  You'd look at Mario, then Croc, Gex, etc and wonder why they thought their idea of a 3D camera and control system somehow didn't suck or at least have problems.  Some, didn't deserve it, they were close enough after the release the game was too far along, but for years after when that template was there, and you threw caution into the wind and produced bad ideas...why?  Rayman 2 was a stand out that worked, Rares stuff basically worked, a lot...issues.  When people give you it on a silver platter how to properly handle a camera and 3D control in a space like that, and you ignore it anyway?  You deserve those lovely sales and ridicule.

11 hours ago, Gloves said:

Mario 64 (original Japan release): June 23, 1996

Crash Bandicoot: September 9, 1996

Gex (Enter the Gecko - the first non-sidescroller): January 31, 1998

Sonic Adventure (1st actual 3D sonic game): December 23, 1998

🤔

He hates Super Mario 3 as well, and has never beaten Super Mario 1.  Some people just want to watch the world burn.....

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

He hates Super Mario 3 as well, and has never beaten Super Mario 1.  Some people just want to watch the world burn.....

I bet he doesn't like Super Mario 3 because Earthworm Jim and Donkey Kong Country 2 were so much better.

Edited by Californication
  • Haha 3