IGNORED

Superior N64 game - Mario or Zelda OoT?

Nintegageo

Which is the superior game?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the superior game?

• Mario 64
    • Zelda Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time in my opinion. I don't think it is particularly all that close either. Mario 64 is a fun platformer, but for some reason it always fails to hold my attention for more than a few hours. Controls are clunky and some levels are tedious. It is an AMAZING game, no doubt. But it has never really *clicked* for me in the way that it has for others.

Zelda OOT is my favorite game of all time, bar none. The game is intoxicating. The music, character development, story line, controls, combat, and emotions. It is in my view, a perfect game. The difficulty curve, time it takes to complete the game, complexity and intricacies of the dungeons, exploration, time travel element. The relationships between the characters is developed through the game. You develop an emotional and personal connection with the game itself, Link and the many wonderful characters in the game. The boss fights are memorable and fun. The game lets you explore and there are many side quests and branching paths that you can explore outside of the main quest. 

There is no game that holds a candle to Zelda OOT, nor do I think we will ever see one. The depth of OOT blows Mario 64 out of the proverbial water.

Edited by WalterWhiteJr.
  • Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Do you want to step outside? LOL. Majoras mask is still on my list of games to play through. It is a sin I know. Every time i sit down to play, life gets in the way.

No need to step outside, let's step into the game room and fix that you've not played Majora!

Administrator · Posted

I really enjoyed Ocarina of Time, and thought it was a great N64 game.  But it's not particularly something I go back to often.  Mario 64 - for me personally, I always enjoy playing the game, and it seems to never get old to me.  I played it yet again not too long ago on the switch collection, and had a lot of fun with it.  

So for me, Mario 64 just has a ton of staying power and replayability, that keeps me interested.  So I chose Mario.

• Like 1

The reason I chose Mario 64 is that it is never not a good time. Running across the plains in Zelda gets tedious and is a slow chore. Even while Mario runs around to choose a level or just exploring the castle you're doing stupid little things like jumping acrobatically which is cool. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

The reason I chose Mario 64 is that it is never not a good time. Running across the plains in Zelda gets tedious and is a slow chore. Even while Mario runs around to choose a level or just exploring the castle you're doing stupid little things like jumping acrobatically which is cool. 

Epona?

Mario 64. Easy pick for me.

I love Mario 64 and play through it every few years. With Zelda, I've tried to get into it several times, but it just doesn't click with me. Can't really pinpoint what it is, but none of the 3D Zelda games can really hold my attention for very long.

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Epona?

Epona, like most mounts, controls like crap compared to the actual character. Miss a turn as Link and he just turns around and goes the proper way. Miss a turn with Epona and you gotta parallel park your ass into the proper direction. I honestly do not enjoy using mounts in most games, particularly the ones that run along the ground.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

It is in my view, a perfect game.

....Maybe.... if there was a less tedious way to switch your boots in the Water Temple 😉

Anyway, this is a great question, but also a tough one.  I love both games, but at the end of the day I've always been more of an action gamer, so I had to pick Mario, since it's the game I go back to more often...

11 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

This nails it super well. Zelda 64 is full of fun puzzles, cool setpieces and great worldbuilding, but a lot of that is also seen done better in many other games, includes other games of the same franchise.

Mario 64, meanwhile, is just fun to simply play. It's bonafide video game.