IGNORED

TMI Channel (To Much Information)

Do you know a lot about a game?  Do you have more information about something that other collectors would find interesting or unusual?  This is what it's all about here.  Share fun facts about your game, collection, or items. 

Edited by JVOSS
  • Like 3

Working Theory Tetris V1 for Gameboy

from: @Ulrizzapost:  My Game Boy Tetris Minuet Collection

As for the music, a working theory is that Nintendo did not have the rights to the original sound track and had to produce something different for original production. However they had to change the song in order comply with the copyright and the agreement with Alexey Pajitnov (as the Korobeiniki was his favorite song.)  The song was original to Spectrum HoloByte and was used in the original production of Tetris for the (Amiga, Apple II, Apple IIGS, DOS, MacOS, Atari ST).  in late 1989 Nintendo's in house composer Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka remixed the Korobeiniki to what is now. the CHIP Tune of Tetris A.

• Like 3

From the topic: My Game Boy PAL List; by @PrimeNL

TMI:

what is PAL:

PAL stand for Phase Alternate Line.  ok so this means what really. This is the video format standard used in many European countries. A PAL picture is made up of 625 interlaced lines and is displayed at a rate of 25 frames per second used to broadcast and display video.

So what dose this have to do with Game Boy Games? not at all, not a bit, not the slightest bit, in no way, to no extent, by no means any, not for a moment.

IMO: If you want to get real then use the proper terms.   NTSC/PAL/SECAM when describeing 8 bit Game Boy Games. 

IMO: you just prove how lazy you are on your data / Information.  or you are just another lemming that is following others over the cliff.

lemmings GIF

• Like 2

All [most?] of the manuals for Space MegaForce have a misprint in the back where it says it was made by COMPLE instead of COMPILE.  That's been my only variant contribution to the community but it turned out that [most likely] every manual had this misprint so it's not even a true variant.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

All [most?] of the manuals for Space MegaForce have a misprint in the back where it says it was made by COMPLE instead of COMPILE.  That's been my only variant contribution to the community but it turned out that [most likely] every manual had this misprint so it's not even a true variant.  🤷‍♂️

This is for what system?

17 hours ago, JVOSS said:

TMI:

what is PAL:

PAL stand for Phase Alternate Line.  ok so this means what really. This is the video format standard used in many European countries. A PAL picture is made up of 625 interlaced lines and is displayed at a rate of 25 frames per second used to broadcast and display video.

So what dose this have to do with Game Boy Games? not at all, not a bit, not the slightest bit, in no way, to no extent, by no means any, not for a moment.

IMO: If you want to get real then use the proper terms.   NTSC/PAL/SECAM when describeing 8 bit Game Boy Games. 

IMO: you just prove how lazy you are on your data / Information.  or you are just another lemming that is following others over the cliff.

Well it's obvious that TV standards don't apply to handhelds with their own screens. Heck PAL collecting is misattribution / cherry picking even in European TV console context, since so many countries globally use PAL beyond Europe and Australia. Many European and Australian collectors just use the PAL term to mean "European(+Australian)" games, since it's their TV standard. So calling European(+Australian) games (especially handheld ones) "PAL" is not factually correct but a culturally risen naming scheme among collectors. I'm sure that some people who use it don't know what PAL even means but I would wager that a lot of them do. I doubt you can beat it out of the collectors by always correcting it and going on a tirade about how it's wrong use of the term in any case. Even pricecharting does this:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/pal-gameboy

Just my 2cents on that matter.

Now for a TMI of my own:

There was a time in South Korea when a lot of new old stock of Sonic Classics for Samsung Super Gam*Boy/Super Aladdin Boy/Super Aladdin Boy II aka Sega Genesis/Mega Drive was discovered. These games had a HiCom version of a game box, so a ton of Korean collectors swapped out their damaged but game specific original boxes with embossing of 삼성 or Samsung inside the boxes for a brand spanking new HiCom boxes. So if you want fully original copies of some Samsung 16-bit goodness be careful of the plain HiCom cases for stuff that didn't come with it. The Sonic Classics is also pretty much the only game you can call common for the system due to new old stock find and the timing of it.

Yoinked this picture of a HiCom case from an eBay listing:

758421154_HiComcaseinside.thumb.jpg.ae91b5d863a7c6e871db14a6648f3ad5.jpg

For Samsung cases the 삼성 or Samsung emboss would be in the middle of the left side near the spine.

• Like 3

Mega Man 1

I claim credit for discovering the “Dr. Wright” typo for Mega Man 1. Likely someone else knew of it before; but I never heard anyone talk about it prior to the mid 2010’s when I discovered it on NA.

What I never mentioned before though I’d that on ALL Circle Seal of a Quality variants of Mega Man 1 there’s another typo.

Instead of “NES-GP” being on the back it’s “NES-MM”. This is corrected in the late reprint of the game with the oval seal of quality and lighter blue box.

Tecmo NBA Basketball

Not only are there two N7 print runs, but there’s possible a BK-1 print run REPRINTED after the release of the N7 variant.

I have this supposed Post-N7 BK-1 variant but I haven’t had the time to look at it yet.

Posters, Reg. Cards, and other inserts

Theres probably only three people that have more in depth documentation of what inserts go to what US NES games.

@Mr. CIB and @Braveheart69 are two of them. There’s gotta be at least one more though, Maybe @K.Thrower?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sp1nz said:

Even pricecharting does this:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/pal-gameboy

Just my 2cents on that matter.

@sp1nzNot to debate this "PAL" topic here, but your point is very valid.  Most Collectors like / love normalcy and to "rock the boat" is taboo. 😃

IMHO no one said that Pricecharting.com is/was/are smart.  they are the mother of all cliff followers. 🤢

Edited by JVOSS
adjust for clearification..

While it also kinda rubs me the wrong way when people say "PAL" Game Boy games, PAL is definitely more than just color encoding when it comes to video games. Even for platforms without region protection, "NTSC-U", "PAL", and "NTSC-J" are common denominators for partitioning the market into regions, and on PS1 and PS2 games, it even says it on the box.

There are of course no separate "NTSC-U" and "NTSC-J" video standards, just like there to my knowledge are no platforms with a "SECAM" region. And the NES is split into regions PAL-A and PAL-B too, for region protection purposes. Neither have anything to do with the video standard.

I'm also not sure there are any platforms before the PS1 where the video output is in any way influenced by the code of the game. A PAL NES/SNES/MasterSystem/MegaDrive will always output a PAL signal when it's playing "NTSC games" and vice versa. And in certain cases there is absolutely zero difference between the ROM image on each version of a game, the separation really is purely about market segmentation.

Also, while PAL commonly goes hand in hand with 50hz video for the sake of a slightly higher resolution, it's not a limitation, and PAL-60 is absolutely a thing (and many games support it). Unlike the NTSC standard which at least as far as I've been told only works with a 60hz signal (and is generally considered a much more incorrect color encoding, which is why the US had to suffer from NES games looking so different depending on the TV used).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Mega Man 1

I claim credit for discovering the “Dr. Wright” typo for Mega Man 1. Likely someone else knew of it before; but I never heard anyone talk about it prior to the mid 2010’s when I discovered it on NA.

I think I remember a Blockbuster box of all things calling attention to this name discrepancy around 1990, even if they didn't call it a typo.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

While it also kinda rubs me the wrong way when people say "PAL" Game Boy games, PAL is definitely more than just color encoding when it comes to video games. Even for platforms without region protection, "NTSC-U", "PAL", and "NTSC-J" are common denominators for partitioning the market into regions, and on PS1 and PS2 games, it even says it on the box.

There are of course no separate "NTSC-U" and "NTSC-J" video standards, just like there to my knowledge are no platforms with a "SECAM" region. And the NES is split into regions PAL-A and PAL-B too, for region protection purposes. Neither have anything to do with the video standard.

I'm also not sure there are any platforms before the PS1 where the video output is in any way influenced by the code of the game. A PAL NES/SNES/MasterSystem/MegaDrive will always output a PAL signal when it's playing "NTSC games" and vice versa. And in certain cases there is absolutely zero difference between the ROM image on each version of a game, the separation really is purely about market segmentation.

Also, while PAL commonly goes hand in hand with 50hz video for the sake of a slightly higher resolution, it's not a limitation, and PAL-60 is absolutely a thing (and many games support it). Unlike the NTSC standard which at least as far as I've been told only works with a 60hz signal (and is generally considered a much more incorrect color encoding, which is why the US had to suffer from NES games looking so different depending on the TV used).

Just let me use my shorthand. It's easier to say "I don't want PAL games" than it is to say "I don't want dirty games from that garbage-land Europe with their horrifyingly ugly PEGI and USK ratings, 18 languages on the back, and their slow machine vintage video game machines. I don't live there, the good games didn't originate there, and water droplets hurt you for some reason in all those games."

But side note, it annoys me when people say they're collecting an "NTSC set" when they just just mean US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

spacer.png

I got a pic of that

• Like 4

On 8/5/2021 at 4:34 AM, JVOSS said:

TMI:

what is PAL:

lemmings GIF

Whilst PAL literally stands for Phase Alternate Line, it can also be used as a connotation for “a game originated in PAL territories.” It’s kind of like slang speak for the gamer/collector. 

• Like 1

A couple of interesting mistranslations I don’t think many people are aware of (as a translator, I love this stuff):

*Completing Super Monkey Ball without dying gives you a message that says, “You didn’t miss a thing!” “Miss” (a borrowed word pronounced more or less the same in Japanese) often refers to dying in video games. The intended meaning of the source text was “You didn’t lose any lives!”

*”I always wanted a thing called ‘Tuna Sashimi’!” from the opening section of Darius II: According to an interview with someone who worked on the game, whoever translated this line for them kind of botched it due to a lack of context. What they wanted to  say was more akin to, “Let’s make sashimi out of ‘em!”

Unrelated to translation, but something I’d like to know even more about: A friend of mine interviewed Chris Tang for his podcast a while back, and one thing he mentioned briefly is that a lot of Sega of America’s early production runs of games (when they started shifting manufacturing over here) were actually done at Tengen’s facilities where he worked at the time, including a pretty big chunk of launch copies of Sonic 2.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2