IGNORED

The N64 Appreciation Thread

Guests · Posted

I'm a big fan of the N64 and play it from time to time. Usually I default to Mario Kart 64, but I've recently been playing Custom Robo and Diddy Kong Racing which are a lot of fun. Never got into DKR as a kid and I still think MK64 is superior 😉 I didn't own too many games for the N64 as a kid, but as most other kids back then, we borrowed from each other and played at each others house. Some memorable ones that I played as a kid: Mario 64, GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (this was weird and awesome), Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Blast Corps, Turok...and those are the ones that comes to mind right now. Here's my current setup:

n64setup.thumb.jpg.43cbc3edd394f77c591f98fc370aa372.jpg

I have a N64 Digital as well, but haven't decided if I want to mod a PAL or NTSC console. Any input would be great. I'm leaning towards NTSC, but then I'd have to buy yet another console. I already own a spare PAL one. Oh, and btw, I'm one of those people who love the original controller, but the wireless option is just easier 🙂 I own some accessories as well, but I've kept the collection super small.

n64magazines.jpg.9e87d68238f6a0912840cc6d43b7c2e3.jpg

Some magazines that I've kept from when I was a kid (all in Swedish) as well as the "Nintendo 64 Anthology" by Math Manent.

Also: Some time ago I decided to make my own version of the Ultra 64 logo which you can check out here: 

Edited by Mumphy
Spelling

I love the N64.  It gets a lot of unwarranted hate from people who have only played the two zelda games, but us fans know it has a lot to offer.  I bought mine new when it came out.  I remember it was the first console I bought with my own money.  Wal-Mart still had layaway back then and I could go in every week put down twenty dollars on it until I was able to pay it off.  Ha, I just realized it was the first time I ever financed anything also.  I actually like the original controller, and I'm a big fan of the Castlevania 64 games as well.  They're still the best 3D Castlevania IMO.  It's funny watching speedrunners run it because they're so slow and don't know where any of the warps are.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, CMR said:

I actually like the original controller, and I'm a big fan of the Castlevania 64 games as well.  They're still the best 3D Castlevania IMO.

Well said.

The controller is more or less excellent in perspective when it came out.  IT was for home gaming, semi-revolutionary.  You had a combination of a classic game pad setup coupled with a trigger style joystick which worked for 2 styles of game in one controller instead of having to buy another.  Factoring in they also really made the movement towards rumble with that pack, transfers with that one, it was quite well done.  The only reason I said more or less, the stick is shit, and I don't mean mario party grind down, but the lame smooth grooves on the hat, if your hands sweat it's like you're sliding around on ice which sucks.

And Castlevania 64 was a rushed dumpster fire with a crap ton of bugs irregularities in handling (the same move twice), camera hell, and well most the game was cut.  But Legacy of Darkness is utterly magnificent and still does stand as the best 3D Castlevania to date, no argument there at all.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

One of these days I want to lay them out to take face pictures but it is a lot of work, so here's some stuff, this is my 'set' for N64 as I never intend to buy more game wise. It's not my favorite system but it holds a lot of treasured memories for me among my old friends along with those heavy hitters that still resonate in my mind today. I also kind of mark it as the last time Nintendo put emphasis on getting western support before kind of 'going it alone'

E7JjAwMXsAQ_FP0?format=jpg&name=largeE7JjBaQWQAUp9s0?format=jpg&name=4096x409E7JmAwiXoAEy_k0?format=jpg&name=largeE7JmD5fX0AkWwAW?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

My top 10 N64 games in no order:

Zelda Ocarina of Time

Super Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

Perfect Dark

Star Fox 64

Goldeneye 007

The World Is Not Enough 007

Jet Force Gemini

Banjo & Kazooie

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire

close to making it & still good games: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 & 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Space Station Silicon Valley, SW Rogue Squadron, SW Episode 1 Racer,SW  Battle For Naboo, etc.

Edited by Radagast
  • Like 2

You got me thinking.

Top 10, no order:

Super Mario 64
Banjo Kazooie
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Party (could exchange any of the 3 here)
Super Smash Bros
WCW/nWo Revenge
WWF No Mercy
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

It was really hard to pick just 10 and leave out things like Yoshi Story, NFL Blitz, Goldeneye, Tony Hawk etc.

• Like 2

if we’re doing Top 10 on N64 then it’s going to be HEAVILY dominated by Rare & Nintendo.

But what about a Top 10 that had nothing to do with Nintendo or Rare?

Heres mine:

• Turok
  • Snowboard Kids
  • Glover
  • Bomberman 64
  • Mystical Ninja
  • Doom 64
  • Mortal Kombat 4
  • NFL Blitz
  • Chameleon Twist
  • Mega Man 64

Wonder if any of those games were developed by rare…I’m on mobile and I’m too lazy to check.

• Like 1

Well if we're doing 10's then

1. Majora's Mask

2. Ocarina of Time

3. WrestleMania 2000

4. Pokemon Snap

5. Conker's Bad Fur Day

6. Diddy Kong Racing

7. Goldeneye

8. Stunt Racer 

9. Tony Hawk 1

10.  Star Fox

That's just a quick off the top of my head. Im sure I could flip a few in and out of that except for the top 3

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

Ah good, someone put Mega Man 64 in their top 10. That game is pretty underrated.

Agreed, Capcom did utterly stunning work on both that and Resident Evil 2 too late to do much good for N64 though, but at least they did.  MM64 I remember them going on about back then, in ways, being the superior copy since they did some camera and gameplay rework, also widened up and fixed some collision issues in the overworld walk around/combat spaces too, the AA gives it a smoother more cartoony feel it.  The only pisser is the highly compressed tinny spoken sections of the game to fit the cart, but the trade off is very solid.  I've owned both, but despite the compromise prefer the N64 release.  Same can be said for RE2 too.  That game is stunning on n64, FMV aside, which is very pixelated(boxy artifacting) due to the small space to work within, and the talking tinny but not MM64 levels.)  But you get better control, blood color choices, a high resolution mode, fast loading through doors not accessing a CD...it's slick.

• Like 2

my history with N64 is weird. When it came out, my buddy got it and showed me Mario 64. I thought it LOOKED good, but I don't know... we were in high school, and Mario seemed too kid-ish to me. I opted for a PS1 myself. My buddy tried to show me Goldeneye and it didn't click with me at the time. I did love Mario Kart 64, but not enough to want a console myself.

Over the years, the N64 had a reputation in my mind as "that one Nintendo console I never liked." Then, a couple years ago my brother found a totally trashed N64 console when he was cleaning out someone's basement and offered it to me. I figured, "for free? Sure, I'll check this thing out."

Since then, I've actually kind of learned to love this stupid beast. Once I got the expansion pak, and popped in Perfect Dark, ran it through HDMI and enabled the in-game widescreen option, I realized that N64 clearly blew away Sony's hardware of the day. And as I've (slowly) dug deeper into the software library, I really think that the N64 is awesome. And it's fun to have this new-to-me library of games to still discover.

I even proudly wear an N64 t-shirt from time to time, haha.

• Like 4

Not the strongest library, but the top-tier games are majestic. I've also never had an issue with the controller like a lot of people who claim to wrestle with it. I will say nostalgia is a driving factor for me since it came out when I was at an age where playing local multiplayer was the best thing on Earth. I can still pick up Goldeneye and THPS, play the entire game in one sitting, and love every second of it. Also has the best wrestling games of all time. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, noiseredux said:

my history with N64 is weird. When it came out, my buddy got it and showed me Mario 64. I thought it LOOKED good, but I don't know... we were in high school, and Mario seemed too kid-ish to me. I opted for a PS1 myself. My buddy tried to show me Goldeneye and it didn't click with me at the time. I did love Mario Kart 64, but not enough to want a console myself.

Over the years, the N64 had a reputation in my mind as "that one Nintendo console I never liked." Then, a couple years ago my brother found a totally trashed N64 console when he was cleaning out someone's basement and offered it to me. I figured, "for free? Sure, I'll check this thing out."

Since then, I've actually kind of learned to love this stupid beast. Once I got the expansion pak, and popped in Perfect Dark, ran it through HDMI and enabled the in-game widescreen option, I realized that N64 clearly blew away Sony's hardware of the day. And as I've (slowly) dug deeper into the software library, I really think that the N64 is awesome. And it's fun to have this new-to-me library of games to still discover.

I even proudly wear an N64 t-shirt from time to time, haha.

NIce story and long way around to the path.  The thing is, more or less, you're dead on right about that.  N64 had the better hardware, clearly, it's just the storage medium that screwed them badly.  When you get a $50 cart where $30 of it gets sucked up by ROM prices(and the rest of the storage costs of the medium), company licensing fees, etc, you make little vs a CD cost and similar fee, far more, and more space to abuse.  It's no wonder it had a 300 not 3000 game library.  Nintendo would counter, fans used it since, that sometimes quantity over quality wasn't best.

• Like 1