IGNORED

The N64 Appreciation Thread

Events Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I meant in current gen consoles, pretty much most things passed the n64 😒

Dpad is ok on nes/snes

I know, I just thought the visual of an older console without a d-pad was hilarious so I created it, hahaha.

And yeah I'd like to keep my d-pad thank you, I still like using it for things like Tetris and whatnot, things that require a bit more precision than an analog stick offers in games where you can use either.

• Like 1

N64 = GOAT. Also, PS1 = #2 GOAT so no fanboy loyalty here other than being a generational fanboy perhaps. 5th gen was the sweet spot, immersive 3D gameplay AND retro charm. Has aged better than any other gen for that reason (all the graphical glitches on PS1 do suck though lol).

current progress towards the N64 fullset:

---CIB:   149/296
---box:  177/296
---manual:  216/296
---cart: 248/296

Couple more boxes and a Mario Golf cart on the way (which will complete all the 1st party carts)

Edited by chuppy44
  • Like 3

Thanks for making the thread.

I could go into something huge, but I don't want to, so these three will do.

Since you asked about some memories, I go to some buys I've had over the years that blew me away with dumb luck.  One was spending just about $100 buying what I did from an online shoe salesman of all things who didn't care what he had really.  Bangaioh, Sin & Punishment, and a N64 JP to US adapter to work on my system.  I didn't put those 2 games down for a good stretch and still have them.  After that point I did try some more games here and there, weirdly finding them in this part of the US at thrifts, such as Puyo, a JP only golf game, and other little things.  Such a nice system, still would love to get Evangelion at some rate, maybe a few other of the limited uniques.

I remember well(ish) before it came out, with the lame delays, Nintendo had kiosks going for months before it came out.  I got to playing some hard core fun times with Mario 64 in them when I could.  It blew me away after being kind of let down with non Mario Yoshi's Island to have a 3D return to a more classic form with so much more to explore than ever before.  It also set a very high bar on 3D space and camera control, sadly, most developers struggled with for years when they probably could just have ripped them off.  Some did later, using the Zelda lock-on to make better titles. 😄

Also remember this small game shop in town at the time that didn't last but 2-3 years tops, near my college that got in imports.  I almost bought Mystical Ninja 64 like 4mo before it came out in the US, played good bits of the game there as they had trial stations.  I ended up enjoying it so much I find after experiencing both games, it more fun than Ocarina of Time in many ways. 😄

• Like 2

Had a friend at the time whos family got one on launch day and I happened to be spending the night. Holy. Yes. I got to live vicariously through their launch experience because after everyone in the family had a go at mario it was my turn. Playing Mario 64 that day was super exciting, even seeing Mario in 3d for the first time was a big deal. Played a lot over there, many memorable goldeneye matches too. Then another friend got ocarina of time, and playing through it together made me need to get my own finally when Majora's mask was announced. Lot of memories of weekend game rentals, sleepovers, breaking my neck on Walmart kiosks, reading tips and tricks, Nintendo power, electronic gaming monthly for the hot news on new stuff, buying games at funcoland and their paper price guide flyer.

So many cool colors too, gotta love em.

People have made a lot of other good points too but the block of text above is why n64 means a lot to me!

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Okay, just checking in to make sure everyone in this thread is honoring the N64 at appropriate levels... So far so good, for most of you... MOST of you... 🧐

I See You GIF by Farmers Insurance ®

@ZeldaFreak 😛

Hey I've already gone on record as saying I have zero issues with the console itself, haha

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I like N64, as I shared before.  But I'm with @ZeldaFreak, it's probably my least favorite controller of any console.  If others like it, ok that's great, I'm not going to argue that YOU don't like it, but for me, it is the most awkward and least comfortable of any controller I've tried.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow did Project Reality really excite the imagination starting when it was first announced in 1993!

And back in my college days (early 2000s) I had to use Greyhound to from UK to back home and such for holidays and summer and whatnot...well it just so happened that at the time the Lexington Greyhound station had this arcade beauty! 🙂  BTW, make that coming to your home in 1996. 😄 

So how does the N64 version stack up to the arcade version?  Well, see for yourself:

At 3:11 -- What the heck is she doing to herself with that trophy!?!? 😮   Is she like...um...uh...

Edited by Estil
  • Like 4

Crusin USA was remarkable (censor aside) how close it was.  Had it not been kind of rushed to get out there when it did, I think it could have been more identical such as the HUD being a bit more smaller/basic, no real reason for any of that at all.  The rest there remains, the audio is a match, the visuals of the cars, terrain (including pop in/distance) are right on there quite well done.

N64 wasn't a slouch, just had to play to it well and you had something.

I also (mostly) don't get the hate on the controller.  A little strange, maybe, but it did work, at the loss of a button or two though which stinks, but it is what it is, a learning era.  You either had to play it as a 3D joystick gamepad *OR* a 2D D-pad using gamepad, not both.  Clutching it for either style, the layout worked quite nicely, and in perspective, your other choices were just non-analog looking at what Sony's basic pad and Sega were offering.  It took Nintendo to make the jump before someone came up with the idea of the Saturn pad Nights had packed in, or the dual-analog which went in step with Ape Escape.  Nintendo had mostly a really good idea, just not wisely executed, where Sega went a stupid step one way, Sony created a standard for years to come with their move that standardized and rolled into the PSone and PS2 launches.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

@OptOut have you thought about making your own fiber optic sign? I know someone back on NA showed how they built one from scratch. I’ll have to find the link after work today

I hadn't thought of that no, it's not the sort of thing I have much experience with! I would be very interested to see what that guy made! I would definitely consider that, although honestly I'm really not much of a craftsman, so I would rather buy one pre-made if it came to it.

I was hoping maybe I would stumble upon one over here in Taiwan at some point, but so far nothing has really popped up. I'm sure that a sign would look fucking EPIC in the middle there tho, so hope springs as always! 😉

• Like 1

I still can't figure out why Analogue went with the Duo when they damn well needed to make a Analogue version N64. I didn't know a single person that had TG16 or whatever the hell else the Duo plays. Out of 10 friends 6 would have an N64 and 4 would have Playstation and none would need an Analogue Duo lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I still can't figure out why Analogue went with the Duo when they damn well needed to make a Analogue version N64. I didn't know a single person that had TG16 or whatever the hell else the Duo plays. Out of 10 friends 6 would have an N64 and 4 would have Playstation and none would need an Analogue Duo lol

Creating an FPGA system capable of emulating the N64 hardware is WAY beyond our current capabilities. So far those geniuses over at Analogue have been able to crack the 8 and 16 bit systems, but each time the power of a system doubles, that is like a HUNDRED times more complicated to program for on FPGA. As far as I'm aware creating an FPGA for like a Sega Saturn or a Playstation sort of level is currently unfeasible, and so for N64 you are looking at something even MORE difficult to pull off.

I do agree with you tho, once they crack it will be AWESOME, and I have every faith they will get there sooner or later! 😉 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds about right as the complexity would be a problem, and even if that level of depth could be cracked, then it's a cost issue too having the parts capable of it at well as that expense would be even higher.  Imagine some N64 analogue device costing like $500+ in a plastic shell, or you can just HDMI mod a current system for half that...not very encouraging, and a price wall most won't bother hopping.