IGNORED

The N64 Appreciation Thread

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Because I don't have three arms and the controller appears to have been designed with that in mind.

Na, you hold the joystick and middle part in your left hand for your index finger to hit the z button, and right hand on the right side to hit the buttons.  I have ran into very few games that actually need the d pad and when you do, you dont need the z button or joystick.  its very versatile.  Most games were designed to use the joystick.

You had two options, hand on d pad for games like wrestling/tetrisphere type games, or hand on joystick for like 90% of the other games 😉  

2 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

but I also like having access to all of the controls for any given system or game at once, and not having to alter my grip of the controller to access certain parts of it.

I don't think I have come across a game that I need to do that.  Maybe I haven't played enough of the library yet, but I don't know of 1 that does that.  It's either d pad or joystick, no in between.  I could be wrong of course, but me personally never had to do that.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Because I don't have three arms and the controller appears to have been designed with that in mind. It is the one and only controller where I have ever, at any point in time, been legitimately confused about how I'm supposed to hold it, other than maybe the very first few times I ever actually picked up a controller in my life. That's why, to put it simply.

The gamecube controller is worse. Yea I said it

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

Na, you hold the joystick and middle part in your left hand for your index finger to hit the z button, and right hand on the right side to hit the buttons.  I have ran into very few games that actually need the d pad and when you do, you dont need the z button or joystick.  its very versatile.  Most games were designed to use the joystick.

You had two options, hand on d pad for games like wrestling/tetrisphere type games, or hand on joystick for like 90% of the other games 😉  

I don't think I have come across a game that I need to do that.  Maybe I haven't played enough of the library yet, but I don't know of 1 that does that.  It's either d pad or joystick, no in between.  I could be wrong of course, but me personally never had to do that.

Technically you need to do it with the better wrestling games as the special/finisher move is performed by flicking the stick (giggidy). But that doesn’t require any precision or moving your hand, you just move your thumb over like your hitting a button

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Technically you need to do it with the better wrestling games as the special/finisher move is performed by flicking the stick (giggidy). But that doesn’t require any precision or moving your hand, you just move your thumb over like your hitting a button

ya, that is literally reach my right thumb or left thumb over and it isnt that far 😉  

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

Yes I know how to use the damn thing, you don't need to give me a tutorial, hahaha. I was just referring to the weird three-pronged approach to it. I just don't fully understand why many people defend the controller so vehemently when, especially under modern standards, I would say it's almost objectively poorly designed. In terms of it being versatile, more modern controllers (hell, the next one in line, the Gamecube controller being a good example) allow you to have access to all the controls at all times, making the "versatility" of it more of a way to hand-wave a poorly thought-out design than an actual feature, and making it a moot point. Obviously I'm aware it's unfair to compare the N64 controller to controllers that came after it, but still, I don't fully buy that, especially since no company who has manufactured a controller since has ever dared to try and replicate the N64 controller, and in my personal opinion that's likely because the people who design said controllers share my opinion on this.

Also, I know not a lot of games actually require you to switch your grip like that (Since game designers also realized how stupid that design is and worked around it 😉 ) it's more so just... well I mean, it's what I said, really, even if not a lot of games actually require you to switch the grip of it constantly, I just plain and simple don't like not having access to all of the controls. It doesn't really get any more complex or deep than that, I just don't particularly like that aspect of it.

I realize I'm talking to a brick wall here since I'm perfectly well aware what the title of this thread is, I just wanted to offer my opinions on the console instead of the thread just being one big echo-chamber.

Plus, hey, we live in the days of emulation so most of these complaints are non-issues anyway, haha. The system itself I have absolutely no complaints about whatsoever, this is all just the controller I'm not a fan of.

• Eyeroll 1

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The gamecube controller is worse. Yea I said it

I do agree that the Gamecube controller is a freak of nature and I don't quite understand why so many people love it (there's a hot-take) but worse? I'd find that kind of a stretch, personally.

Did the controller suck? Of course. 33% of it doesn't get used. But nowadays, I don't even think about that. The great games on the 64 make up for all the shit, and it's worth having just for those 20 or so titles. Honestly,  it's worth having just for Mario Kart 64 (still the purest of the series).

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Join Us GIF by memecandy

Seriously, when do you use the dpad?  

Edit:  When you play older games!!!!!

When I play older games? When I play NES and SNES if you want a dickish answer to that question, hahaha.

Since I know the question you're actually asking though: I don't play N64 games all that much, so I can't speak to that, but in general, once the analog stick became the new hot thing, the d-pad was relegated to selecting stuff in menus and whatnot, at least if I remember correctly, which sure, isn't a core component of the gameplay, but it's still something I'd like to always have access to if and when I do need it, which I don't think is an unfair opinion to have. All jokes aside, I do actually have small enough hands that I cannot reach the d-pad when using the analog stick, or, holding it the other way around, I cannot reach the C buttons when I'm using the analog stick, so I can't just "reach over" like you guys say, I would actually have to quickly switch my grip on it real quick. Also, the "just reach over" tactic doesn't work for the L and R buttons depending on how you're gripping the controller, one of those would still be locked out doing that.

I just disagree with it being "versatile," since like I said I feel as though that's just an excuse being made for the controller and not actually a feature of it, and I simply prefer having access to all of the controls at all times whenever I pick up a controller, regardless of the frequency at which some of those controls are used. I'll happily die on that hill if I must, but that's my opinion on it.

Events Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Did the controller suck? Of course. 33% of it doesn't get used. But nowadays, I don't even think about that. The great games on the 64 make up for all the shit, and it's worth having just for those 20 or so titles. Honestly,  it's worth having just for Mario Kart 64 (still the purest of the series).

Yeah, the controller doesn't take away from the awesome games on the system, but (since like you said, most of the time 33% of it isn't used) I feel as though the design of the controller may have limited game designers with what they could actually do, since only a certain percentage of the controls could actually be used conveniently by the player at any given time, and the controller is what links someone to a video game. So, if I don't like the controller, that's naturally going to somewhat taint my experience with the console itself.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, the controller doesn't take away from the awesome games on the system, but (since like you said, most of the time 33% of it isn't used) I feel as though the design of the controller may have limited game designers with what they could actually do, since only a certain percentage of the controls could actually be used conveniently by the player at any given time, and the controller is what links someone to a video game. So, if I don't like the controller, that's naturally going to somewhat taint my experience with the console itself.

i dont use the d pad or the right joystick on my pro controller so i dont us XX% of my pro controller either 😉  Does that mean it sux?  Sure lol

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

i dont use the d pad or the right joystick on my pro controller so i dont us XX% of my pro controller either 😉  Does that mean it sux?  Sure lol

Well if you don't use the right joystick that would be due to you probably not playing very many 3D games on it first of all, but secondly, you can say that, but the option for those controls is still there, ready to be used by any given game designer. If I'm designing a game for N64, if I want the analog stick to be used, then I essentially have to go out of my way to not use the d-pad for anything important unless I want it to be a terrible experience for the player. Plus you're taking your own, subjective experience with something, whereas I'm trying to take more of a broad, objective look at it. Granted not everyone treats conversations like this the same and that's something I always do so maybe that's just me, haha.

Still, my point is you're comparing apples to oranges there. One of them you aren't using those controls due to the specific types of games you play, the other, the controller is designed in such a way that it largely locks you out from those controls, there's a big difference there.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

but the option for those controls is still there, ready to be used by any given game designer.

They are in MY way......Why can't I have more space to rest my non child sized hand????

Also, why would you ever use a dpad and a left joystick, or joystick in general.......you wouldn't.  Therefore GOAT 😉

Events Team · Posted
10 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Now we are hijacking the thread!  So you don't like the controller, and I love it!  No more need to discuss lol.

Yes, and none of the points you brought up particularly challenged my perspective on it, haha.

But yeah, N64 still a good console overall regardless of it's weak points, that we can at least agree on.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Yes, and none of the points you brought up particularly challenged my perspective on it, haha.

just had to didnt ya.......

I challenged it by saying that there is fluff, you could play most if not all games with the joystick, but some games chose to use the dpad. 

Moral of the story:  Dpad needs to go!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Californication said:

Hot Take: I'd rather own an N64 than a GC. It's not even close.

Its crazy to think but I'm the in the exact same boat.

My wife grew up with a N64 so years ago I got a HDMI Ultra mod and an Everdrive and never looked back. I have a handful of CIB games that I had growing up, and will probably continue to get more here and then when I see a deal or get the itch. 

At first, I was put off by the N64 bc it was the console I got right before my parents got a divorce and it just didn't sit right with me until I was in my mid 20s. But since I met my wife and kinda got reintroduced to the console and library again, it's really grown on me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I do agree that the Gamecube controller is a freak of nature and I don't quite understand why so many people love it (there's a hot-take) but worse? I'd find that kind of a stretch, personally.

Definitely worse. It looks like it was shaped as a bad joke someone made when they said if you had to make the N64 controller again, what would it look like.

Its total trash, especially after the introduction of the PS1 Dual Shock and the OG Xbox. It honestly feels like a joke to me. 

Events Helper · Posted

I have love for all controllers in my world.  I don't mind the gamecube controller.......The only ones that are really garbage are the two I stated above as in the wii mote and the joycons, but I can still use them decently, that is if i had a wii that i played and if i didnt have the pro controller.  

Either way, I still love the n64 controller....... 🤷‍♂️  It's comfortable playing all the games of years past!

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Moral of the story:  Dpad needs to go!

835755715_SNEScontrollernoD-pad.thumb.png.ca89752a0890a13cb110fff2c3ee70eb.png

Also, sorry, that probably came off unnecessarily condescending, what I meant was that none of what you were saying was really doing much to sway my opinion, nor was anything I was saying doing much to sway yours, clearly, not that you didn't bring up good points. I'm a bit more liberal with my wording when talking to you, I sometimes forget we're having a public discussion and not just PMing jabs at one another, haha.

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2