IGNORED

What is your best world ranking or gaming achievements?

GPX

As per title, what would you say is your current best gaming achievement(s)? Either:

- on a personal level

OR

- on a world ranking achievement

Have you got the skills to reach Guinness proportions? Well here's your chance to boast and tell..

Edited by GPX
  • Like 1

My most recent achievements on actual physical copies would probably be completing both Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and obtaining all the stars for both games.

Recent years, I've been playing hardcore Geometry Wars and Defense Grid for Xbox Live. With Geometry Wars, I've only been able to crack the top 500 on one of the game modes. With Defense Grid, I've got top 10 on 2 of the levels. So many hours wasted, but so damn addictive!

Mine would be getting 180,880 points in NES Marble Madness and being 19th out of 87 on the speedrun.com leaderboard with a time of 2:55. Marble Madness world record holder yelsraek is the only other person to have a score over 180k on the internet.

• Like 5

Won an online league on nhl94online for SNES, played against the best players online and for one season was  able to pull it together to prevail in the playoffs.  I miss playing but it is hard getting games in with kids, I love 94 it is so balanced for SNES a true classic, and always someone who can put you in your place as I learned many times!

http://www.nhl94online.com/html/playoffs.php?lg=41&playslg=SNES

• Like 3

This is going to be real specific:

FIFA 06 (PSP): I was on top of the online leaderboards for a couple of weeks.
Mario Kart DS: Virtually no one could beat me on Rainbow Road when playing online. I had that track down! And it didn't allow much for snaking, which was great.
Donkey Kong (WiiU Virtual Console): Not me, but my cousin! He was on top of the leaderboard for Donkey Kong. We had some fun calling him "The King of Kong... on Miiverse".

My proudest moment was still being able to beat Cuphead recently on Switch. Fun topic, hope to see more people share their achievements!

• Like 1

My proudest achievement is getting 100% full combo on Through the Fire and Flames on expert. I got the tech FC (all sections in practice mode) over 10 years ago and I finally did it earlier this year on Clone Hero. 

My top retro achievement is a swordless, 3 heart, minimalist run of the original Legend of Zelda. The only upgrades I got were the bomb expansions, and the run ended inside Ganon's chamber. Second to that is a deathless run of Castlevania on the NES which I did for Halloween 2015. Both first and second quests were deathless. For me, those runs just came down to how lucky I got on the swamp area, the bone dragons, and the Frankenstein's monster boss. I was just trying to go for a high score but ended up doing it deathless.

Other than that, I got 650k on NES Tetris and maxed two Runescape accounts. 

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2

I was top 10 in castle crashers. I had no idea what rage quiting was until people did it to me haha. 

Personally? Getting the Hadouken in MMX, with no clue on how to do it. It was a rumour from a friends older brother and when we got it we freaked out. Will never happen again. 

Great question. 

• Like 1

Wow, some really impressive achievements here. I personally hardly ever stuck around long enough with a game to really achieve something, especially when I was younger. My somewhat proudest gaming moment as a child though was probably finding out that you could actually defeat Gades during the first fight in Lufia II. I didn't even know back then that this was possible. I was on my second playthrough with that option that you got four times the experience and gold. I got curious, leveled to over level 30 and eventually beat him. After that I tried it over and over again to see how low my level could be to still beat him and I eventually managed to do so with my characters being between levels 22 an 24 and with everyone staying alive (including Tia). I remember a gaming magazine back in the day revealed a strategy to beat Gades with an average level of 36 or something. So I sent them a letter detailing my party setup and precise strategy to beat him even at such a low level. Unfortunately the magazine was discontinued and my letter never published. With the advent of Youtube however, I saw people beating Gades at an even lower average level, though they usually just let Tia die, which ironically made the fight a bit easier, I guess.

Anyway, in recent years I played Gain Ground quite a bit on the PS4 and got a nice highscore, which is still in the top 10 of that game's leaderboard. And last month I managed to score first in the Starship Hector contest on NA.

• Like 3

Twin Galaxies doesn't have the credibility or significance it used to, but I do have the TG record for Sky Kid on the NES, one of my favorite games. https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/sky-kid/nintendo-entertainment-system/ntsc-points/

When Namco Museum launched on the Switch, I had #1 in the Sky Kid Challenge Mode for a while. Last time I checked, two or three people maxed it out (I guess they put a max score on the challenge mode), and bumped me off. I could go back and max it, but of course if you tie scores, whoever got it first has the highest rank, so that's not very motivating. Lol. I kkinda regret not pushing it further, but I didn't know it had a cap.

Nearly a decade (?!) ago I made it a point to beat as many notoriously hard NES games I can. Ghosts n' Goblins, Battletoads, etc. and I'm still fairly proud of that.

That probably covers it other than various platinum trophies and stuff. Or old RuneScape accomplishments.

• Like 5

My most notable achievement is when I had the high score on dragoon's original version of Fix-It Felix, and that that score became the default high score on the subsequent print run of the game.  Not sure who all remembers, but the original version had a kill screen glitch that constrained our ability to progress any further in the game, which made the high score a very fun challenge.  I remember how exciting it was to work on that back in 2012 or 2013 iirc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nightowljrm said:

Twin Galaxies doesn't have the credibility or significance it used to, but I do have the TG record for Sky Kid on the NES, one of my favorite games. https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/sky-kid/nintendo-entertainment-system/ntsc-points/

When Namco Museum launched on the Switch, I had #1 in the Sky Kid Challenge Mode for a while. Last time I checked, two or three people maxed it out (I guess they put a max score on the challenge mode), and bumped me off. I could go back and max it, but of course if you tie scores, whoever got it first has the highest rank, so that's not very motivating. Lol. I kkinda regret not pushing it further, but I didn't know it had a cap.

Nearly a decade (?!) ago I made it a point to beat as many notoriously hard NES games I can. Ghosts n' Goblins, Battletoads, etc. and I'm still fairly proud of that.

That probably covers it other than various platinum trophies and stuff. Or old RuneScape accomplishments.

Damn. Your Sky Kid score is insane. That game is brutal. I played that for a contest on AtariAge a few months ago and only got 67k.

I would say that the hardest NES games that I beat were Battletoads (no warps, no continues) and Bump n Jump (legit, no continue code). I also got 415k in Bump n Jump which is almost twice the TG world record but I have no video proof.

I guess record score wise I would have to go with my Double Dragon II "max out" 164,500 point score. Honorable mentions would go to getting a 600k+ population on SimCity for the SNES which triggers an actual ending message or probably the most impossible to repeat (due to the awful auto fielding) was when I pitched a perfect game (no walks/no hits) on black box Baseball for the NES. 

• Like 1

I’m part of a high score challenge group, and just got first place high score on a ‘one coin’ Vampire Savior competition. I use BB Hood. 461,903. Was the winning score. (not my best) Got lucky and zebel wasn’t on his game for the boss fight. Small victories. I would love to compete in a Vamp Savior comp one day!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Damn. Your Sky Kid score is insane. That game is brutal. I played that for a contest on AtariAge a few months ago and only got 67k.

I would say that the hardest NES games that I beat were Battletoads (no warps, no continues) and Bump n Jump (legit, no continue code). I also got 415k in Bump n Jump which is almost twice the TG world record but I have no video proof.

Yeah, it's a tough game, but I love it! Which is funny because I'm not normally a big shooter guy. This one's just different.

You should totally play Bump n Jump again a few times and record it just for fun. 😃 I'm sure you can beat it again without too much hassle!

Events Team · Posted

One time I stupidly blew up what was an incredible Marble Madness run (right at the start of the last race), and that made me so mad that I furiously bend my NES controller to the point of breaking the circuit board inside in two pieces. To this day, I still consider this to be my best gaming achievement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Back in the Team Fortress Classic days I frequented top 10 on the stat tracker websites back then. Not sure how reliable they were but that's all we had to go on.

More recently in my achievement hunter days, I restarted Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga after my 30 hour save got overwritten by one of my kids, just so I could 100% it. Usually takes at least 40 hours to complete everything. Most worthless achievement maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guillavoie said:

One time I stupidly wasted (right at the start of the last race) what was an incredible Marble Madness run, and that it made me so mad that I furiously bend my NES controller to the point of breaking the circuit board inside in two pieces. To this day, i still consider this my best gaming achievement.

Do you remember how many points you had going into ultimate?

I once had 67k going into the ultimate race thanks to some very  lucky wands and then blew it right at the end. This was months before I got my first 180k so this really sucked.

2 hours ago, Nightowljrm said:

Yeah, it's a tough game, but I love it! Which is funny because I'm not normally a big shooter guy. This one's just different.

You should totally play Bump n Jump again a few times and record it just for fun. 😃 I'm sure you can beat it again without too much hassle!

Bump n Jump is a tough game to even beat once. The last four stages are brutal. But it would be nice to beat it again.

10 hours ago, Nightowljrm said:

Nice, I never went for any TG stuff, but regardless of its current credibility, it's really cool to have claimed a record on there 🙂

Are there any Runescape accomplishments in particular you remember? I have a lot of fun thinking back to that. I remember my first fire cape being pretty exciting 😛 

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Do you remember how many points you had going into ultimate?

I once had 67k going into the ultimate race thanks to some very  lucky wands and then blew it right at the end. This was months before I got my first 180k so this really sucked.

I don't remember precisely, but given my retardly intense reaction, it was certainly one of those lucky wands run where you get to the last stage with 67kish points.