IGNORED

Guinness WR For Most Consoles Owned Video (posted 6/7)

I'm curious what you guys feel about Guinness's call on this.  I'll give it to the lady, she has a TON of LCD games but it wouldn't surprise me if someone on here either has her beat or knows someone who does.

The record holder seems really awesome and has a great personality and I must admit, I've never seen that many unique LCD/Diode games in one place.

Anyway, kudos to her but I'm wondering if @fcgamer is about to call up Guinness World Records and say "Hold my beer..."

• Like 5
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm curious what you guys feel about Guinness's call on this.  I'll give it to the lady, she has a TON of LCD games but it wouldn't surprise me if someone on here either has her beat or knows someone who does.

The record holder seems really awesome and has a great personality and I must admit, I've never seen that many unique LCD/Diode games in one place.

Anyway, kudos to her but I'm wondering if @fcgamer is about to call up Guinness World Records and say "Hold my beer..."

I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to call those "consoles" considering the usual definition of the word, but Guinness hasn't been interesting in a very long time.

• Like 2

It seems like every time we see a video game related Guinness record, it seems easily disprovable.  However, you have to remember that Guinness can only certify what they know about.  Obviously, it would be nice if they added the disclaimer "that we know of" to their records, but that will never happen because it doesn't sound as good as "world record."  

• Like 1

Wow, such a great video! I had a lot of fun watching this, great personality of the host too, her excitement certainly rubs off as she's taking us through her collection.

I'd need to go through my lists for am exact number, but sadly (fortunately?) I'm nowhere near that number. I've definitely got over a hundred different Famiclones, but for other consoles I've got very few variations, for example I have four Super Famicoms (one Taiwanense, one Japanese, two clones), etc. While I do have a wide range of consoles, I don't think I'd even make it to 200, sadly enough 😉

It definitely does make you wonder though, what's out there that they / us aren't aware of. 

I like how instead of showing more of the collection, half the time she’s showing off her mad skillz. 🤪

Nice touch, although quite sad, to have mention of her husband who had passed away. You can’t have a big collection like this without the partner having some level of support. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GPX said:

You can’t have a big collection like this without the partner having some level of support. 

Well this thought has crossed my mind dozens of times, for those single folks out there, after how many dates do you reveal the collection? 😄

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well this thought has crossed my mind dozens of times, for those single folks out there, after how many dates do you reveal the collection? 😄

It might depend on whether the date/lover is into games or not. If she’s not into games, might be more worthwhile to stay silent..

Cool dude with an awesome rare collection? Or lame hermit with a case of nasty obsession? Quite a fine line! 🙂

Edited by GPX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm an absolute sucker for the old tabletop and portable LCD games. I'd see them around at people's houses in the 80s and even if the NES came round, these bad boys seemed like they were made of pure magic. I'm still struck by the intricate manufacturing of some of the later models. I'm also really fond of the 70s sci-fi esthetics.

On 7/11/2021 at 2:13 PM, guitarzombie said:

Just trying to browse, looks like she's got everything for NES.  I see a boxed F2, but more annoying nothing is in order haha.  I just think its hard to believe she'd have more than that Australian dude.

You mean LastGamer? I think he collects official consoles, but I don’t think he’s into collecting all LCD handhelds. Which is what sets this collection apart from most of us collectors. She has so many LCDs and tabletops I’ve never seen nor heard before!

• Like 2

On 7/9/2021 at 12:59 PM, TDIRunner said:

It seems like every time we see a video game related Guinness record, it seems easily disprovable.  However, you have to remember that Guinness can only certify what they know about.  Obviously, it would be nice if they added the disclaimer "that we know of" to their records, but that will never happen because it doesn't sound as good as "world record."  

Isn't that literally the definition of "World Record?" In other words, this is the best recorded of whatever it is? You might run a faster 100m than Usain Bolt, but it doesn't count until someone makes an official record.

Wikipedia says: "A world record is usually the best global and most important performance that is ever recorded and officially verified in a specific skill, sport, or other kind of activity."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

Isn't that literally the definition of "World Record?" In other words, this is the best recorded of whatever it is? You might run a faster 100m than Usain Bolt, but it doesn't count until someone makes an official record.

Wikipedia says: "A world record is usually the best global and most important performance that is ever recorded and officially verified in a specific skill, sport, or other kind of activity."

Sure, but I have a lot more faith in Olympic and Track & Field record accuracy compared to Guinness.  I know Usain Bolt's record is legit.  I have plenty of doubt about most records recorded by Guinness.  They are more interested in records set by interesting people that attract publicity than doing the actual legwork to determine true "world best."

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Sure, but I have a lot more faith in Olympic and Track & Field record accuracy compared to Guinness.  I know Usain Bolt's record is legit.  I have plenty of doubt about most records recorded by Guinness.  They are more interested in records set by interesting people that attract publicity than doing the actual legwork to determine true "world best."

I hear what you saying but when you say, "attract publicity than doing the actual legwork to determine true "world best." That not their job just like it's not the NFL, NBA, Olympics or any other competitive body. The individual has to want it and work for it. These people who have their records fill out the paperwork and go thru the process.... they wanted so they deserve it. No governing body in the world does any legwork, they provide the forum for individuals to succeed.  I don't think anyone will say "Usain Bolt is the fastest man we know of" He is until otherwise just like this lady is until otherwise. 

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

This is awesome. My favorite part is how knowledgeable she is about both playing and collecting the obscure LCD games. Most people would consider those things lame or uninteresting, but she's into it and that's fantastic.

Sure, she has a ton of mainstream NES games, but what collector doesn't? The unique stuff is what really makes her collection stand out. It shows that she cares and likely isn't pursuing this stuff just to impress people or amass games she doesn't truly care about.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, TDIRunner said:

I think with records it is implied that the record holders are only from among those who registered with the organization. 

Like in athletics, I’m sure there are people out there in the wild that can jump higher, run faster, etc than the world record holders. But the real winners didn’t register so they are not relevant.