IGNORED

The Metroidvania Thread

Nintegageo

Let's skip the Hollow Knights and dig right into the underappreciated gems, here are three of my absolute favourites in the genre that few people ever talk about:

Treasure Adventure Game

treasure-adventure-game-02.jpg

Maybe my absolute favourite in the indie side of the genre? I'd have to replay it to see if I probably overestimated it, but it definitely has a sense of surprise and creativity that really makes it stand way above what the simplistic graphics would have you think.
It has a remake with somewhat prettier graphics, but I haven't played and can't vouch for it. The original is free.

An Untitled Story

anuntitledstorya.gif

"Matt Makes Games" first got on my radar when he released RunMan: Race Around The World, but eventually he would later gain much bigger fame with games like TowerFall and Celeste.
He has a bunch of smaller free games, though, and first time I checked out his stuff, this was one of the games I came across. A really cute simplistic "flip screen" metroidvania (aka no scrolling) with a handdrawn look. You start out as an egg and gradually gain more movement abilities. Most of the primary challenges of the game, outside of exploration and secrets, comes from precision platforming which I guess is unsurprising if you know the author from Celeste.

Very cute little game, completely worth playing. Also free.

Castle In The Darkness

ss_2e5b242e9c631dac7ec46ce126503661e9000d85.1920x1080.jpg

Very traditional, but very well crafted indie metroidvania. It has a bit of everything, simple but functional combat, and also a good share of precision platforming. It's just really good.
It also has a ton of funny references to a bunch of classic games (both obscure and really obvious), the kind that get kind of obnoxious in other titles (The Messenger especially), but they work a lot better in this game.

Unfortunately, this one is exclusive to Steam, and is published by Nicalis. 🤮

Edited by Sumez

Hate it. I love the original Castlevania series, similarly I love the OG Metroid. Hate the name, all Castlevanias of this style aren't part of the series imo. Just call the genre Metroid and be done with it. Similarly, the fps Metroids aren't Metroid games either imo.

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Hate it. I love the original Castlevania series, similarly I love the OG Metroid. Hate the name, all Castlevanias of this style aren't part of the series imo. Just call the Gebre Metroid and be done with it. Similarly, the fps Metroids aren't Metroid games either imo.

Lmao. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Editorials Team · Posted
28 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Hate it. I love the original Castlevania series, similarly I love the OG Metroid. Hate the name, all Castlevanias of this style aren't part of the series imo. Just call the Gebre Metroid and be done with it. Similarly, the fps Metroids aren't Metroid games either imo.

Sucks to suck

@Sumez Castle in the Darkness looks sweet

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I'm guessing the guys in this thread are part of those who killed the original Castlevania series? 😢

Actually, your lack of support with purchasing Castlevania (or Konami action games in general) during the 16-bit era - forcing them to evolve the franchise - is what killed it.  So it's your fault.  Well done!

But I bet you at least bought Castlevania Chronicles to show them there was still demand for the classic style of game, right?

Nailed it.  😎

The real answer is that games evolve, and the late 90s were a time for feeling out new genres, trying new things.  Classic platforming was basically dead.  SotN also kickstarted a run of 7 of the best Castlevanias in existence as well.  Not that you've actually played them, I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Anyone else love this 'genre'? I think Super Metroid remains the champ, though debates with incorrect opinions are cool. Recommendations are welcome 🙂

I have been playing Ender Lilies and it is so dope. 

Super Metroid and SotN are the king and queen of the genre.  Just all time masterclass.  Hollow Knight is the prince though, can’t wait for silk song.

Axion Verge and blasphemous are great too.  Heard good things about Ender Lilies, it’s on my wish list. 😎

Events Team · Posted

Love Metroidvania games, definitely one of my personal favorite genres. Symphony of the Night (and all of the handheld CV games that came after) are all of course masterpieces, with my personal favorite of them all being Portrait of Ruin. Honestly I need to play more Metroid games, I played Zero Mission and absolutely loved it, I gotta get around to the rest at some point. Hollow Knight is another game I've been meaning to play for a very long time. Ritual of the Night I would say is just about good enough to rank among the other Metroidvania CV games, absolutely adored that game, and I was so happy to be playing, more or less, a brand new Metroidvania CV game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

image.jpeg.5ad7a78e6064fd5d4eeccadcf625e3d8.jpeg

I look forward to seeing what is recommended in this thread. Sumez has already named some games I’ve never played.

I’ll add Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight and Salt & Sanctuary (has a metroidvania/souls feel). I’ve also heard Chasm is great.

Edited by Shmup
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Shadow Complex is great too, screw the detractors.

Monster Tale is okay.

Shantae Pirate's Curse was a lot of fun.

Half Genie Hero was okay.

I also really liked Bloodstained.

I really need to play the Ori games as well.  Just keep waiting for the inevitable sale.

It's probably my favorite genre, maybe second only to FPS. I've loved them ever since I first played Casltevania: Dawn of Sorrow on yhe Nintendo DS back in college. If a game mentions it's a Metroidvania, I am immediately on board. I just love having a huge map to explore filled with beautiful pixel or hand-drawn art. Of course, Castlevania is second to none, but my other favorites are Bloodstained (obviously), Ori, Dead Cells, Shadow Complex, and Yoku's Island Express. Strangely enough, I've never liked Metroid. I have tried the original and Super Metroid a few times over the years, but something about it just doesn't grab me. Maybe I'm more partial to fantasy settings, as I didn't really care for Axiom Verge either.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Good thing you picked up a copy.  

I am predicting Super Metroid might  📈🚀🌙💵💵💵after Metroid Dread comes out

Maybe. I'm seeing prices starting to drop on certain groups of video games. I think some of the push from the last year is starting to burn off, but we'll see.

Edited by Californication

Editorials Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'll be quoting you on this from here on out, anytime game franchises that you like go in a direction that you don't like.

Fail.  I like everything.  I'm the most agreeable mother fucker to ever game.  The next Star Fox is a visual novel horror game?  Color me intrigued.

• Haha 1

I like and dislike the pseudo-genre that it has become.  I don't blame either superMETROID/castleVANIA for this, but all the tireless pile of me-too weenies trying to ride the magic wave and typically stumbling in one if not numerous ways.  Because of that I'm quite choosy, dislike a good number of them, but those I find I'm willing to try after some serious research and interest, I like to play.

Rarely I've found much that Nintendo or Konami didn't have a hand in were all that amusing in the long run.  Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Fusion...great stuff.  SOTN/NITM, the trios on GBA and DS, and since IGA did his thing with it Bloodstained I more or less thoroughly enjoy those (didn't like portrait of ruin much, nor samus sucking returns.)

Dead Cells from what I can see looks very nice, but haven't had time to make the time.  Momomdoria, Cave Story, and a few others I've liked.  It's one of those cases where old man fcgamer there yelling at a cloud I do NOT agree with. 🙂