IGNORED

The Metroidvania Thread

Nintegageo

35 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Definitely check out Hollow Knight.  I LOVE the game!  I praise it often, and while people tell me it's overrated, I personally don't care because I really really enjoyed it on my own, not because the internet told me it was good.  I played through it pretty fresh without knowing a ton about it or expectations proclaimed from others.  And I loved it.  It very much gave me a sort of Super Metroid vibe, but with a totally different universe and style.  And that style is fantastic, imo.  

I’m intrigued by how much you like Hollow Knight. Didn’t seem very good to me, but I think I need try it more to make sure i didn’t miss something 

Administrator · Posted

For some reason, it seems pretty divisive with many I've talked to.

I thought the style was cool, the mood was cool, the music was good, the gameplay was solid, and it very much gave me a deep and large world to explore.  The boss battles were interesting and challenging, and some of the puzzles / areas, were a bit of a challenge to get through.  I don't think the game was a breeze, but I don't think it was overly hard either.

I don't know... I've talked to several others who just didn't care for it and thought it was way overhyped, but for some reason it just really resonated with me and I thought it was one of the better "metroidvania" type games I've played in a long long time.

Administrator · Posted

I think the part I sort of alluded to, is that I almost find it a bit insulting that sometimes people subtly insinuate that I don't REALLY like it, but the internet just told me it was good and I'm some sheep or something hahaha.  I don't quite understand that, but I've had that pretty much said to me before when I was talking about this game.  And I was like...um, no actually, I just really enjoyed the game and had a ton of fun with it!

i really enjoyed Hollow Knight too. My buddy turned me on to it (he's big into the Metroidvanias). i had a blast with the exploration, graphics, atmosphere, music, all of that. my biggest gripe about the game were the boss fights. there's just so many of them and they are my least favorite part of games. i probably have 90% of the map uncovered but i never finished the game.

• Like 1

As Reed said, I really enjoy Hollow Knight for all the reasons stated. My only gripe with the game is related to the map that resulted in some unnecessary back-tracking, but such a small issue in an overwhelmingly awesome experience.

Over the past week, I've been really enjoying Astalon: Tears of the Earth, and last week (I think it was last week...), Ender Lilies released in full, so I've gone back since my earlier 'early access' play.

Editorials Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I think the part I sort of alluded to, is that I almost find it a bit insulting that sometimes people subtly insinuate that I don't REALLY like it, but the internet just told me it was good and I'm some sheep or something hahaha.  I don't quite understand that, but I've had that pretty much said to me before when I was talking about this game.  And I was like...um, no actually, I just really enjoyed the game and had a ton of fun with it!

That's because some people have an "everything suckism" attitude because it's a safer and less vulnerable stance to have on the internet.

...or they're just trying to be elitist and letting you know that only plebians would enjoy it. 😅

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Renmauzo said:

Over the past week, I've been really enjoying Astalon: Tears of the Earth, and last week (I think it was last week...), Ender Lilies released in full, so I've gone back since my earlier 'early access' play.

Those are definitely both on my radar for the future.

I haven't played that much of the genre but I would like to give a shout out to Aquaria, since it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Other unmentioned ones (haven't played these yet but but am interested) A Robot Named Fight!, Aggelos, Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition, Environmental Station Alpha, Iconoclasts, Kunai, Odallus: The Dark Call, OUTBUDDIES DX, Pharaoh Rebirth+, Rabi-Ribi, Rain World, Sheepo, Super Win the Game and Valdis Story: Abyssal City.

35 minutes ago, sp1nz said:

I haven't played that much of the genre but I would like to give a shout out to Aquaria, since it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Other unmentioned ones (haven't played these yet but but am interested) A Robot Named Fight!, Aggelos, Dandara: Trials of Fear Edition, Environmental Station Alpha, Iconoclasts, Kunai, Odallus: The Dark Call, OUTBUDDIES DX, Pharaoh Rebirth+, Rabi-Ribi, Rain World, Sheepo, Super Win the Game and Valdis Story: Abyssal City.

I have a Robot named Fight! and have played it extensively. I have really tried getting into it but is actually very frustrating. I you die, you lose all of your progress, items, and you can’t even backtrack because the map totally changes every time you die.

Honestly, I do not understand how the developer ever thought this was a good idea. After playing for a few days I just decided I’m not gonna play it anymore. Seriously, I must be missing something.

They’ve basically taken what should be a good game and ruined it. I hope someone can chime in and tell me there’s a hidden setting that makes the game feel a little less hectic 

13 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I have a Robot named Fight! and have played it extensively. I have really tried getting into it but is actually very frustrating. I you die, you lose all of your progress, items, and you can’t even backtrack because the map totally changes every time you die.

Honestly, I do not understand how the developer ever thought this was a good idea. After playing for a few days I just decided I’m not gonna play it anymore. Seriously, I must be missing something.

They’ve basically taken what should be a good game and ruined it. I hope someone can chime in and tell me there’s a hidden setting that makes the game feel a little less hectic 

Well it's the odd one out of the ones I listed for being roguelike metroidvania; randomized runs and starting over when you die. For me this sounds like a boon, but certainly that makes it less of a candidate for good time for pure Metroidvania enjoyers. Have you played other roguevanias, like Rogue Legacy? Do you dislike them too? Just curious, maybe it's that the game is bad or it's not just your cup of tea as a genre variation. I personally liked Rogue Legacy a lot, don't think I've played other roguevanias.

Of course I can't vouch for anything I haven't played but what I listed interest me, are generally well rated and more people might like to know they exist. Oh and another one that interests me came to mind: Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, phart010 said:

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Have you not played Isaac or Gungeon or Dead Cells?

Does anyone actually not like hollow knight? Like people that played it for a while?

I figured it was those rascally internet contrarians who don’t like anything others like, and subsist on pure forum arguments. Drinking those sweet, salty neckbeard tears. 

I guess you could not care for the aesthetic? Everything about the game was perfect in my eyes. 

Controls

hit detection

sound

exploration

physics

art

story 

I mean, I thought the boss fights were tough too. But then I forced myself to git gud by playing them over and over again. And was better for it. 

Fuck the geo. 

Edited by MrWunderful

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

Does anyone actually not like hollow knight? Like people that played it for a while?

I figured it was those rascally internet contrarians who don’t like anything others like, and subsist on pure forum arguments. Drinking those sweet, salty neckbeard tears. 

I guess you could not care for the aesthetic? Everything about the game was perfect in my eyes. 

Controls

hit detection

sound

exploration

physics

art

story 

I mean, I thought the boss fights were tough too. But then I forced myself to git gud by playing them over and over again. And was better for it. 

Fuck the geo. 

I love the way that the area where all the enemies just dump Geo is super far from everything. I went over there to grind and lost all my loot on the way too a shop twice. Gotta love the gamble though.