IGNORED

NES⏭SNES⏭PS

anybody else go from nintendo to super nintendo to playstation?

i was a nintendo fan boy for the first 15 years of my life and when the n64 came out i was all about it. i got one release year christmas but was soon disapointed and clamored towards friends playstations.

i got a playstation next christmas and shhhiiiiiitt whats a n64???

title is still how i rank my top three consoles.

edit: and have since tried...nearly force myself into n64 and its: oot, goldeneye, no mercy and doom. thats it.

curious how many fanboys nintendo lost to sony in those days? 

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 4

From SNES to just PlayStation? Nope. I gladly got an N64 in addition to a PS1, and also played Dreamcast at Kiosks. It isn't Nintendo's best console, but worth having for Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye, Mario Party 1-3, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong 64, Kirby 64, Majora's Mask, Mega Man 64 (which is arguably better than Mega Man Legends), and Paper Mario, among others. During that era, It was easily my go to console for parties and rented games for it more than any other consoles at the time. I played the multiplayer modes of Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal 2 and they were fun, but only for up to 2 players.

I was never a "fanboy", and was always willing to play consoles, handhelds, PC, and Arcade games from various companies. Heck I even played Apple II, and still have the Apple II version of Bubble Bobble.

aiibubblebobble.jpg.144b4e119cfdc22efd2a8bf1bcbee019.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 4

NES > Genesis > SNES > PSX .  PSX game selection and innovation crushed N64 that generation.  I got one because Resident Evil.  The only N64 games I was really jealous of was Wave Race and Golden Eye.  Thought maybe Jet Moto would scratch the WR itch.  Not even kind of but still an awesome title.

• Love 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

NES to PSX.  Still my two favorites to this day.  

EDIT:  Seems this thread expanded into a list of what consoles you went with over time

NES>GameBoy Pocket>PSX>Game.Com>PS2>Wii>Switch

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 2

NES->SNES->N64->Turbo Duo->Dreamcast->Gamecube

After that it gets muddied into going backwards and forwards.  At Midway in 2001 and 2002 I ended up with from there or outside a Genesis, Saturn, PSone+LCD, PS2   And this is excluding handhelds obviously.

From a later point it was the Wii, PS3, WiiU(mistake), PS4(another) and then the Switch.

Handhelds I was just Nintendo through the GB/GBP era, got a second hand GG at one point and a Nomad too, then GBC, NGPC, GBA, DS, 3DS (and variants Nintendo did of the systems)  Last new handheld though I got I'm thinking may strangely have been the GB Light.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, attakid101 said:

God I’ll never understand the NES cult that has claimed the collective psyche of VGS.

Eh, for a bunch of us it was our first console (not me, though. Atari 2600 baybee!) So nostalgia fuels a good chunk of it.

I do think people get a bit to precious about the original hardware and such. But eh, to be expected.

Edited by Tulpa

First Round:

NES -- SNES -- N64 -- Sega Genesis -- Atari 2600 -- PS -- Quitting

Didn't include the handhelds in this mix. The only two that got proper love were the NES and N64, the others had their time to shine, but those times were very limited in nature.

Second Round:

Famicom -- Famicom, with a whole bunch of other random machines thrown in. Again excluding handhelds here. Occasionally I get in the mood to play other machines, but quite rarely.

• Like 1

I didn't really have a timeline. Went from Atari 2600 to Commodore 64 then nothing until I discovered thrifts in the mid 90s. Then I got everything I'd missed from the 8-bit era (except Nintendo - stores wanted $2.99 apiece for those games when everything else was less than a buck). After that, I tended to pick up things as they arrived at thrifts which, I suppose, mostly mirrored retail release with a 5-year delay.

• Like 1

2600 -> NES -> Gameboy -> Game Gear -> N64 -> PSX -> PS2 -> GameCube -> Wii -> SNES* -> Genesis* -> Saturn* -> Switch -> Master System* -> Turbo Grafx 16* -> Action Max*

*Game systems I picked up as collectibles to play with.

Future desires in general order of desirability:

• Atari Lynx
  • Neo Geo AES
  • Virtual Boy 
  • Neo Geo Pocket
  • Wii U
  • Xbox
  • PS3
  • PS4
  • Atari Jaguar
  • PS5

Regarding your specific discussion, you can see I didn't get a SNES until my era of collecting. This is the order I bought these gaming consoles but not the timeframe I was introduced to them. I played plenty of SNES and Genesis and friends homes and always wanted them, but my mother swore to never buy another game system herself due to her own personal addiction to Dr. Mario (seriously).

I bought the N64 in 1996 on launch day. I was pumped about it. I then learned Nintendo didn't keep Squaresoft around and I immediately wanted a PSX, which my Dad got me one in 1997.

I had a head start on the N64 but even after the PS1 arrived, I loved both. The summer of my 16th birthday was my first summer with a job and 100% of my cash went to video games and trading card games. The only reason I didn't buy as man N64 titles was because they tended to be more expensive but I loved most of them as much as the average PSX title. I felt they were very different though, so I tended to focus on RPGs and fighting games for the PSX and on the N64 it was about platformers and racing games. There were some exceptions for both (Twisted Metal on PSX and Mortal Kombat or Wrestling game son the N64) but generally I just felt they were different systems with their own strengths and weaknesses.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:28 PM, Hammerfestus said:

NES > Genesis > SNES > PSX .  PSX game selection and innovation crushed N64 that generation.  I got one because Resident Evil.  The only N64 games I was really jealous of was Wave Race and Golden Eye.  Thought maybe Jet Moto would scratch the WR itch.  Not even kind of but still an awesome title.

damn i forgot about wave race. top title for sure. i got a cib copy lol

On 6/25/2021 at 9:08 PM, Tulpa said:

Eh, for a bunch of us it was our first console (not me, though. Atari 2600 baybee!) So nostalgia fuels a good chunk of it.

I do think people get a bit to precious about the original hardware and such. But eh, to be expected.

NES 61 million sold. no other console in its same life span (83'- 93'(?)) is even close.

so if you grew up in that time you prob ❤️nes. or you were that one or two kid w master system/turbo.

edit: and even when you had a turbo you still had a nintendeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr!

Edited by docile tapeworm

12 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

you know what ive realized most via this thread so far... yall some spoiled mf'krs you know that lol!

Mine are mostly at the very end of life except for switch and Xbox. Got the cube when windwaker came out, ps2 little bit later. Couldn't afford em as a kid and had nes when snes was dying. If you love something you'll find a way.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 6:40 PM, Deadeye said:

NES to PSX.  Still my two favorites to this day.  

EDIT:  Seems this thread expanded into a list of what consoles you went with over time

NES>GameBoy Pocket>PSX>Game.Com>PS2>Wii>Switch

super nintendo clear #2 before ps for me.i love ps but you played snes, genesis, turbo in there time and dont have one of them in between the nes and ps?

Hah wow, I totally forgot to stuff the Virtual Boy into my old post.

Got one in 1995 when it came out, that places it between the SNES and N64.  I had a 2nd in the Wii era, and my final one(and backup) in 2019 now with that library that got the bauble. 😄