IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #15: What are your top 3 cereals of all time?

SilverspoonGaming

Your taste pallet has probably changed quite a bit from your youth.  I know mine has.  I used to eat Cookie Crisps and Fruit Loops all the time back in the day, but my all time favorite has never changed, and I still snack on it from time to time these days.  Here is my top 3...

1. Cinnamon Toast Crunch

2. Trix

3. Capn Crunch Crunch Berries

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

As a kid, standard favorites were 

1. Lucky Charms
  2. Cap'n Crunch (regular, Crunch Berries, or peanutbutter it didn't matter)
  3. Pops. 

My favorite limited cereal was the Nintendo Cereal System Zelda flavor.  I ate Nintendo cereal regularly until it was gone for good.

Now, as a boring adult, I like oatmeal cooked with blueberries. 

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Fruity Pebbles

Frosted Mini Wheats

Wow, you nailed mine. I don't eat cereal but if I did, this would be the line up.

When I was a kid, Capn Crunch was what I loved. I ate it for years until one day, immediately, I had enough and was done. Other than trying one piece every 10 years or so, I've not had it sense. I ate my fill for 5-7 years and that was enough.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted

VERY specifically - CANADIAN Fruity Pebbles.

The American version simply doesn't compare. Unfortunately our Pebbles are now the same as the US's garbage, but the cereal I had as a kid was completely different and I miss it like I'd miss a deceased loved one.

Childhood:

-Fruit Loops

-Honey Nut Cheerios

-Maple Nut Oatmeal Crisp

Adulthood:

Nothing. I haven't eaten Cereal in years, though I probably would still like the kinds of Cereal I ate during my childhood if I decided to eat any of them again.

Edited by MegaMan52

Events Team · Posted
52 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Also I prefer a small amount of milk to ensure I don't end up a bowl of mush, I hate soggy cereal.

Same.  I also don't drink the leftover milk so a low ratio ensures I'm not wasting it.  My kid drowns his cereal so that nearly all the pieces are submerged. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

No particular order but probably 

- raisin bran crunch, two scoops motherfxcker 

- peanut butter Cheerios, when you can find them

- captain crunch with berries 

Also I prefer a small amount of milk to ensure I don't end up a bowl of mush, I hate soggy cereal. 

Solid options, for sure!

When I was kid tho, Captain Crunch always tore up my mouth.  I don't know if I didn't have enough milk or what, but it was kinda rough ha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

The milk has to be as cold as possible too right?  If Im going for a second bowl, I get rid of the milk and start over to make sure its super cold.

• Like 1

There was a version of oat squares (like the Quaker Oats Squares) that I remember having at my grandmother's house as a kid.  I have never found that version since -- never saw the box, but the squares are slightly smaller than the Quaker Oats brand oatmeal squares.

I have some nostalgia for rice Chex and Crispix, as well.

I've been done with overly sugared cereals for a long time.

2 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

30 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

The milk has to be as cold as possible too right?  If Im going for a second bowl, I get rid of the milk and start over to make sure its super cold.

Oh, gosh, yes!  I HATED soggy cereal, so I'd shovel down the bowl of whatever it was.  The only exception for some odd reason was Raison Brand, which I've also always enjoyed.  I don't like it super mushy, but if it gets a little soft, that's ok.

As a young kid, I'd dump the bowl of milk which would always make my grand mother a little agitated, if I got a second bowl.  When I got a little older and was making my own cereal bowls, I skipped the whole pouring of the milk on the cereal and just ate a dry bowl with a taaaaaall glass of milk.  Take a spoonful, and then a quick swig of milk.  Perfectly crunchy bite every single time.

@Gloves  So how ere the Fruity Pebbles different?  I'm curious.  Different flavor, bigger flakes?  What was the deal?  I'm surprised that anyone who likes sweat cereal would hate Fruity Pebbles.  The cereal is good... but they are the absolute BEST version of a "rice crispy" treat.

I eat cereal for breakfast almost every day. Love it.

My favorites are

Special K with Red Berries

Honey Nut Cheerios

Cap'n Crunch

I'm trying to watch my calories so I am really careful about my portion sizes and measure out a 1 cup serving.. try to keep it to 100-160 calories. I also switched from whole milk (146 calories) to Almond milk (30 calories)

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, RH said:

@Gloves  So how ere the Fruity Pebbles different?  I'm curious.  Different flavor, bigger flakes?  What was the deal?  I'm surprised that anyone who likes sweat cereal would hate Fruity Pebbles.  The cereal is good... but they are the absolute BEST version of a "rice crispy" treat.

The Canadian version was puffs, rather than like rice krispies. You've had an inferior version of the cereal for your entire existence so I can't blame you for thinking it's good. Here's a scan of the old Canadian box:

Post - Canada - Fruity Pebbles - Free Colour Changing Dinosaur - cereal box - 1991

Unfortunately the cereal itself is a render rather than a photo, bit you can kind of get the idea. Notice the difference in colors (only 3 colors), and more importantly notice the makeup of the cereal: Wheat, corn, and oats.

A few years ago my wife was on a trip to the States with her dad and I asked her to bring me back a box of Fruity Pebbles, knowing that they were still available there. Imagine my horror to find that the cereal was completely different.

It depresses me a little every time I think about it - the version from my childhood no longer exists, and likely never will ever again.

Here's a photo of a variant of the cereal, also Canadian, with an actual photo of the cereal itself; note how the cereal is round:

s-l1600.jpg

It was more like a fruity Corn Pops.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
42 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

There was a version of oat squares (like the Quaker Oats Squares) that I remember having at my grandmother's house as a kid.  I have never found that version since -- never saw the box, but the squares are slightly smaller than the Quaker Oats brand oatmeal squares.

Cracklin' Oat Bran?  

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Cracklin' Oat Bran?  

No, not even close to the same thing.

The squares were VERY similar to the Quaker Oats Squares cereal you can get today, but smaller.

(think something kind of like Chex, but denser and oat-based instead of rice, wheat, or corn as the primary grain)