IGNORED

Annual VGS community awards

OptOut

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about an idea I've been kicking around for a while, and I thought I'd share it here and see if anyone likes it and would like to help develop it further.

Basically my idea is to do an annual VGS community awards thread, sort of like the Oscars but for members and their contributions to the site! Mainly just for fun and to thank people for their contributions, but also just a nice sort of community event and celebration!ย 

My idea is that it would be at the end of the year, like December 31st sort of a Happy New Year thing. In the preceding month or so we could receive nominations and votes from all the VGS members for various categories, and then the reveal thread (hosted by ME, naturally! ๐Ÿ˜Ž) would be a big party for everyone to find out the winners!

There could be maybe ten categories to begin with, I haven't got any clear ideas on what they would be, but I was thinking things like best thread of the year, best pick-up of the year, most artistic post of the year, best gamer etc.

I would do the majority of the work in terms of collecting the nominations, collating the votes, and all the write-ups and everything, but obviously this would require the blessing of the admins as well as the support and contributions of the community.

We could make special awards for the winners maybe... Although I haven't budgeted for physical prizes, lol!ย ๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

Anyway, that's my idea, it's something so would really like to see, even if it was just once to see how people like it!

If anyone has any ideas for categories, or any suggestions or ideas, or want to offer help, or hey, maybe this whole idea sucks ass, I don't know... but please anyway, let's get the conversation started below!

Thanks guys!ย ๐Ÿ˜˜

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

Administrator ยท Posted

Sounds like a fine idea to me, only concern is that December is busy for people, and Secret Santa etc. Maybe plan for a less busy time of year?ย 

I get why you'd want it to be end of year though, so just a thought, not a suggestion.ย 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gloves said:

Sounds like a fine idea to me, only concern is that December is busy for people, and Secret Santa etc. Maybe plan for a less busy time of year?ย 

I get why you'd want it to be end of year though, so just a thought, not a suggestion.ย 

Oh sure, well how about January 31st then?

The whole of January I could do the preliminary threads to get nominations and votes for the best threads etc. of the preceding year, and then at the end I can do the reveal!

I'd have to think of a good way to do the reveal thread without making it TLDR, but I'm pretty good at that sort of thing... Honestly I wouldn't mind even doing a livestream or recorded thing to put in there, but I don't really have any experience with that!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

IMG_20210616_231606.jpg.fa201a52f0514bd3fa42579861fea219.jpg

Yeah there's like a solid 4 weeks in January. Each week could have nominations in a certain category of awards leading up to the Sunday with the reveal. So, for example, the first week we could have several collecting-related awards, the second week gaming-related awards, etc.

And then when they were all done, a nice recap thread with links to the other threads and maybe like one final big award, like VGSer of the year or something! ๐Ÿ˜„

Well, I do think this could be a fun idea.ย  The first order of voting business should be what do we call the awards.ย  Ideas coming from stream of conscientious...

• Golden Gloves
  • Veggies
  • Silver/Gold/Platinum Cart(ridge)
  • Purple Ganons
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RH said:

Well, I do think this could be a fun idea.ย  The first order of voting business should be what do we call the awards.ย  Ideas coming from stream of conscientious...

• Golden Gloves
  • Veggies
  • Silver/Gold/Platinum Cart(ridge)
  • Purple Ganons

Diamond Stonks

Editorials Team ยท Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

Let's not kid ourselves, 90% of those awards are just going to go to @CasualCart.

๐Ÿ˜„

Maybe some sort of limit on how much any one user can dominate

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Olโ€™ย Opty has to goย one day without voting for someone and he starts the Purple Gannon Awards

That's their name now.ย  It has to be.ย  My site name dream was crushed, but I can still have this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That's their name now.ย  It has to be.ย  My site name dream was crushed, but I can still have this.

"Golden Gloves" literally was the first thing that popped into my brain, but I like it andย I'm actually pulling for it now. @OptOutย if you do want to find a name for the awards, you could create a discussion thread and people could do something like post

NOMINATE: Golden Gloves

For each reaction they get, that's one vote for the one specific award name.ย  Reactions type doesn't matter, so don't throw shade at the names you don't like.ย  People can discuss the names in the same thread too.ย  I know this site has polls, but it's hard to choose which options go on a poll.ย  This is a good way to creatively come up with new options, and then limit to, say, the top 5-10 for the final pole.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

I like the idea, and I also like the idea of doing it January 31st, or sometime after the calendar year has ended.ย  The awards can still be for the period of the calendar year, but doing it in January allows you to take into consideration things that occurred in December, especially towards the end of the month.ย ย ย ย 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1