IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #13: What game did you rent as a kid that you shut off in less than one hour to never play it again?

SilverspoonGaming

There's a reason they call him peg and why the pain comes out in those posts, but you'd need an only fans account to find out.

I never rented ever when it came to games, but I never was in short supply which I'll be always thankful for.  My form of 'rents' came in the back half of the 90s getting things at a shop cheap, and if they sucked they went back and traded for another.  If that counts, I'll add something, but asking first as it's gray area.

Events Team · Posted

I can't really think of any either.  I was pretty deliberate with what I rented.  Fester's Quest or Who Framed Roger Rabbit were probably the bottom tier of stuff I rented and I would make sure to get my money's worth.

How about favorite rentals that you never ended up buying?  I'm sure i rented the Road Rash series for Genesis enough times to actually purchase a copy.

• Like 1

Not a rental, but Aidyn Chronicles on N64. Probably got it used at Hollywood Video used for <$10. I only had so many games, so I generally played the hell out of everything, but Aidyn Chronicles was just too awful. It was likely around the time I was playing Neverwinter Nights too, which made it seem like even more of a joke.

• Like 2

O.D.T. for PlayStation. I rarely rented games but there was this candy shop near me that rented out games. Only other rental I remember is Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee but I beat it during the rental period. I can't remember much more of O.D.T. than it being frustrating and boring. Definitely didn't play for a full hour and never touched it afterwards.

• Like 1

Not a rental but I remember buying Metal Mech when it was released at Toys R Us. I brought it home and fired it up and it was absolute shit. I was so disappointed with my $100 purchase. I returned it the next day telling the clerk I didn't like it. Back in the day they'd actually let you return opened games. The game I exchanged it for? Nes Play Action Football 😛 I grudgingly held onto that one cause it wasn't that bad. I just couldn't return a second game now could I? 🤣

There are a couple that I specifically remember:

1. The original Dragon Warrior. I got caught up in the hype from TV commercials and rented that. But I didn't speak or read english at the time. It was my first experience with a JRPG and I couldn't get anywhere due to the language barrier.

2. Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom. As soon as I got to the mine carts. Couldn't get past this and went outside to play. Screw this game.

3. Dr Chaos. The cover art looked super awesome to me as a kid, with the blood dripping on the dude's hand and all and I had perstered my mom to let me rent it. She wasn't too pleased with it (because of the bloodiness) but she let me have this one and, yeah, I couldn't get anywere and I gave up on it super quick. Language was a barrier and also I was too young to fully wrap my head around and adventure game like that.

"As a kid" might be stretching it, because Yoshi's Story came out in 1998, but I rented it and hated it. Can't imagine that I played it for more than an hour.

Most other games I didn't like I still kept playing. It's weird, I distinctly remember not liking fighting games at all back then, but for some reason I still rented both Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat 2 and played the hell out of them. I guess I was just too curious.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:28 PM, JamesRobot said:

How about favorite rentals that you never ended up buying?

That's a good one I think. I specifically passed over both Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country, because I 100%'ed the former, and at the very least beat the latter within the rental period (which was less than 48 hours, probably not much more than 24 actually), so I didn't figure I would get much money's worth from actually purchasing them at the time - despite liking them well enough.

On 6/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

But what rental was the biggest flop?  Maybe Top Gear 2.  I couldn't even beat the first race.

Seriously?  My brother and I loved that game.  We rented it so many times, we really should have bought it. It's up there with Rampage on the NES for games that we rented enough to pay for a new copy.  

I actually just played it again last week and I still enjoy it.  

Events Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Link said:

I remember that from the contest thread. Did you do that natively? (console and controller) And, howthefuck?

Yes, oem controller on AVS.  I'd actually rate the control of the paintbrush as pretty tight.  The arrow icon lets you control the direction of the brush and you kind of steer it as it draws rather than directly drawing with the pencil icon which limits you to the 8 way dpad directions.  That's how I achieved perspective of the railing and avoided the 45 degree angle limitations. You can slow it down quite a bit for more minute detail.

I also drew it with this color palette.  It's fairly pastel but was actually the closest to the local color of the painting.

g2vS935.jpg

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Seriously?  My brother and I loved that game.  We rented it so many times, we really should have bought it. It's up there with Rampage on the NES for games that we rented enough to pay for a new copy.  

I actually just played it again last week and I still enjoy it.  

It's in my top 200 SNES games; it's good.

But it was my biggest rental flop.  I tended to pick winners.

4 hours ago, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

Not a rental, it was a purchase.  I had a choice: Bart vs. The Space Mutants or StarTropics.

I chose poorly, and picked Bart.

To be fair to our younger selves, I had no idea back then that licensed games could be such crap. I owned DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and Ninja Turtles 1 & 2, all of which I thought were great.

One weekend we rented Fist of the North Star and Mystery Quest. I played Fist of the North Star for an hour tops, never to play again. My brother played Mystery Quest for most of the weekend, and I ended up watching him try to make a hard jump for what seemed like an eternity. Horrible weekend.