IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #13: What game did you rent as a kid that you shut off in less than one hour to never play it again?

SilverspoonGaming

On 6/6/2021 at 6:40 AM, rdrunner said:

ActRaiser 2 (SNES).  I think it was about 5 minutes for me.  I remember thinking "what have they done?" and shutting it off.

I never even bothered playing it when I heard there was no sim part to it. That's what made the first game good!

Trust me, ActRaiser 2 is a really good game, and probably better than the first. 🙂

18 minutes ago, ookii_risu said:

Omigod! You have Alisia Dragoon as your avatar! Amazing game. 

Wow, didn't even recognize it due to the completely messed up western cover art for that game, haha.
Anyway, if you like games of that style, you should like ActRaiser 2, too.

I am surprised many of you can remember the "forgettable rentals."  They are exactly that for me...forgettable.  I have no idea which NES, SNES, or Genesis games I rented that I played for 10 minutes and couldn't wait for my mom to take them back the next or so.

I remember "bad" games that I owned, of course, because we would give them more than a 10 minute play-through since we owned the frickin' thing.

I guess the closest rental "disappointment" that I remember was Double Dragon for NES.  My little brother and I spent a few nights at the local bowling alley one weekend in 1987 or so beating the arcade game and absolutely loved it.  Remember, this is two years or so before Final Fight hit the scene...and the original DD was a revelation to us at the arcade.  Of course, when we heard the NES version was coming out, we had to rent it right away.  Much to our disappointment, the main game was single-player (we were expecting 2-player simil in the main game), and instead, we got some not-so-hot pre-Street Fighter fighting mode for the 2-player mode.  Majorly disappointed as a kid.

However, my dad got the game for us anyway for Xmas one year since he remembered us liking the arcade version of DD.  It was his quarters, after all, that enabled us to beat the arcade game.  😄  We never got around to tell him that we didn't care for the NES version, so we were stuck with it.

Nowadays, I am fine with the NES version, as I understand there is now more to it than a watered down arcade version.  But, at the time, that was probably our biggest rental disappointment.

On 6/6/2021 at 5:40 AM, rdrunner said:

ActRaiser 2 (SNES).  I think it was about 5 minutes for me.  I remember thinking "what have they done?" and shutting it off.

Yes. This was a huge disappointment for me as well. Getting rid of the sim aspect may have been okay if it was otherwise playable but it was not.

• Like 1

Xenophobe on NES. Even as an ignorant, easily-excitable kid I knew that I had just flushed my money down the toilet. I tried to get my money's worth. I really tried. Alas, I didn't make it and just played some Mega Man 2 or Contra instead.

Edited by Webhead123

6 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

Xenophobe on NES. Even as an ignorant, easily-excitable kid I knew that I had just flushed my money down the toilet. I tried to get my money's worth. I really tried. Alas, I didn't make it and just played some Mega Man 2 or Contra instead.

Oddly enough, I had a friend come over once who brought Contra and Xenophobe on the same night.  It was the first time I had played either game, but I could easily tell the difference even then.  That said, I still let him trade me for two of my games (until our next visit of course), as only a good friend would.

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Yes. This was a huge disappointment for me as well. Getting rid of the sim aspect may have been okay if it was otherwise playable but it was not.

Pretty much what I had thought. If ActRaiser 2 had simply reused the exact same system as the first game's action scenes, that would have been fine even without the sim stuff.  Other than the new divebomb mechanic, I failed to see any improvements.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I think there are plenty of people here proving this otherwise...

Not at my house. 

Going to the video store was a treat.  That was your entertainment for the weekend, you didn't like it, tough, keep playing.  Not like I could drive back to the rental store and get something else.  No Netflix, no smart phones, no internet.  You didn't have a 100 other options for entertainment.

4 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Pretty much what I had thought. If ActRaiser 2 had simply reused the exact same system as the first game's action scenes, that would have been fine even without the sim stuff.  Other than the new divebomb mechanic, I failed to see any improvements.

Shame this is a rental thread I would have skewered that game as I maddeningly bought it.  The ONLY game I'd say I really hated on SNES and disgustingly wasted my money on.  The gameplay blows, the jump mechanic breaks the the game, removing the SIM part was heresy, and cheaping out with no battery really was aggravating.  The game other than the beautiful use of color and music in the stages was an abomination.

17 hours ago, fox said:

Not at my house. 

Going to the video store was a treat.  That was your entertainment for the weekend, you didn't like it, tough, keep playing.  Not like I could drive back to the rental store and get something else.  No Netflix, no smart phones, no internet.  You didn't have a 100 other options for entertainment.

I get your point as we were all in the same position, but these games were so bad that we shut them off and went back to playing the same old games that we have owned for years over playing the brand new rental.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I get your point as we were all in the same position, but these games were so bad that we shut them off and went back to playing the same old games that we have owned for years over playing the brand new rental.

I agree with fox: that never happened.

Beggars can't be choosers.

On 6/7/2021 at 8:35 PM, cj_robot said:

To be fair to our younger selves, I had no idea back then that licensed games could be such crap. I owned DuckTales, Rescue Rangers and Ninja Turtles 1 & 2, all of which I thought were great.

I think I learned my lesson either from that Simpsons game, or maybe renting "Back to the Future 2/3".

I could say I should have known better as I read review mags, but at the time I only read Nintendo Power. NP in 1991 wasn't going to tell you the game was utter crap.

Speaking of "Back to the Future 2/3": it fits this topic.  I played it for a bit only to give up trying to figure out WTF I was supposed to even do.

Mega Man 4:  I loved MM1-3, but this game just felt....off.  The introduction of the MegaBuster was awesome, but this game just didn't seem to be as fun as 2 or 3.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I've never rented games, but I had a few disappointing used-game purchases as a kid.

I remember picking up a used Napoleon Dynamite [Nintendo DS] cartridge from GameStop because I love the movie so much. My expectations were low going in, but even then I couldn't play for more than a few minutes.

-CasualCart

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

I've never rented games, but I had a few disappointing used-game purchases as a kid.

I remember picking up a used Napoleon Dynamite [Nintendo DS] cartridge from GameStop because I love the movie so much. My expectations were low going in, but even then I couldn't play for more than a few minutes.

-CasualCart

Wow, I did not even know that existed

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:22 PM, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

My mind cannot comprehend how a single part of that movie could be fit for video game translation.

• Haha 2