IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Battletoads!

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies, gentlemen, the ONE event you all have been long awaiting for is finally here!
This week we shall watch our mighty competitors tackle the super easy game Battletoads, with some specially crafted rules to make it a tiny bit challenging at the very least!

I bet we will see everyone tied for 1st place this time around!

So, here's the rules our mighty amphibians of skirmish have to follow this week:

• Start at Ragnarok's Canyon
  • Play till you reach 500,000 points, you get down to the last point of your energy bar or lose a life.
  • You can get hit as long as you still have more than one point in your energy bar. 
  • Pause the game as soon as you get down to the last point bar in your energy bar and take your picture
  • If anything causes you to lose a life, your run ends. Pause the game and take your picture
  • Pause the game as soon as you break 500,000 points 
  • After being reaching 500,000 points add the stage bonus to your current score:
    •     Level 1-Ragnarok's Canyon - 0 points
    •     Level 2-Wookie Hole(Impact Crater) - 15,000 points
    •     Level 3-Turbo Tunnel - 30,000 points
    •     Level 4-Arctic Caverns - 45,000 points
    •     Level 5-Surf City - 60,000 points
    •     Level 6-Karanth's Lair - 75,000 points
    •     Level 7-Volkmire's Inferno - 90,000 points
    •     Level 8-Intruder Excluder - 105,000 points
    •     Level 9-Terra Tubes - 120,000 points
    •     Level 10-Rat Race - 135,000 points
    •     Level 11-Clinger Wingers - 150,000 points
    •     Level 12-the Revolution - 165,000 points
    •     Level 13-Dark Queen - 180,000 points
  • Your final score is current score + stage bonus score
  • Highest score wins.
  • The use of stage warps is not only allowed, but encouraged.
  • Genre: Beat 'em up

The rules were even toned down a tiny bit to make it even easier for our competitors!
Enjoy and have fun, mighty ones. This is a very easy challenge you all will conquer with ease!

12_BattleToad_Sage.png.c3a1bec9ccff193a0

The contest ends Sunday, 06/06/21 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
1st imabadguy1 681,050
2nd mbd39 613,500
3rd arnpoly 563,500
4th Krunch 487,500
5th MegaMan52 445,000
6th NESfiend 309,150
7th JamesRobot 303,000
8th Dr. Morbis 271,000
9th FireHazard51 172,750
10th 0xDEAFC0DE 154,900
11th RH 152,500
12th dvertov 140,300
13th bertsampson 122,750
14th PII 90,800
15th Jeevan 80,250
16th Ausden 69,250

It's your competition but I kind of liked the insane rules. Forced, frequent restarts forces you to build up correct gameplay patterns in your muscle memory.

😉

EDIT

Score: 125,500

Stage Bonus: 30,000

Final Score: 152,500

Not my best during my practice but here's the first shot with my first score to get on the board. My goal is just to make the warp to stage 5 and just see what happens from there. Can anewb, poor player do it in a week? Maybe?

Also, special shout outs to @docile tapeworm for hooking me up with a NES with a BLW. Playing on a legit NES is way better than an emu with a Switch Pro controller.

Update

Third post and I was soooo close to the warp. This may be my last post warping to 3. Stage 1 and 2 are rather easy. I was able to get the warp in stage 3 on my second try but since that was after a death, it obviously didn't count.

If I skip the first warp and beat some crows like a madman, I might be able to enter stage 3 with 100-150k with practice.

PXL_20210601_033456813.jpg.d7e02e21ed6925cf03eebeba295ee42c.jpg

Edited by RH
  • Like 4

I had never played this game until a few weeks ago, but it certainly was one of those titles that I'd heard a lot about since childhood.  I've heard people claim "it's the hardest NES game, ever" and then I've heard other more seasoned NES gamers say that's a load of BS.

After playing the game through multiple stages and watching "pro" play-throughs I think I'm willing to say that this is the most difficult game I have ever played on he NES... that is well designed to be that difficult.

There are many, many games that are hard on the NES and I can definitely think of some I've owned that I'd say are more difficult than Battletoads.  Nevertheless, I think almost every other example is difficult due to poor design or issues like poor hit box detection or other "annoyances" that made the game feel like it lacked the polish it needed to make a fair and solid gaming experience.

Battletoads, however, feels very polished.  It feels well designed, every level is very different and it's a fun experience to engage and learn.  But with the diversity of different types of levels comes it' difficulty because it's tough to get a stride.  The gameplay continually changes, so finding straight-forward approaches to, say, punching, shooting or racing is hard because every 5 minutes, you're doing something different and new.

There is nothing wrong with this experience and I'm loving the diversity of this game so far.  It's tough-as-nails, but this is a kind of tough you WANT to experience.   Like many NES games, once mastered it's not a very long game.  The diversity of game play makes pushing yourself further more and more fun, it breaks the monotony that other games suffer from and the added difficulty means you are going to have to take a lot of time to learn this game.

So, is Battletoads the "hardest" game on the NES?  No but it is the most difficult game I've played that is specifically designed to be difficult, and it does it well.  I'm struggling with this game but it feels like a good struggle.  I want to keep playing and I don't feel like I'm fighting the game but I'm instead contending with it.  Incrementally, I get better at a given stage until it feels mastered, and I'm loving the design and the experience.

• Wow! 2

20 minutes ago, imabadguy1 said:

Final Score: 410050

Score + bonus: 1,295,050

Do you add only the stage bonus of the stage your on at the time of death/1point in energy bar remaining/500,000 points or that stage bonus plus every stage bonus before that?

...thought it was the former...

Also, do you only add a stage bonus if you're able to crack 500,000 points?  Or always regardless of what your score is?

Just now, PII said:

Do you add only the stage bonus of the stage your on at the time of death/1point in energy bar remaining/500,000 points or that stage bonus plus every stage bonus before that?

...thought it was the former...

Also, do you only add a stage bonus if you're able to crack 500,000 points?  Or always regardless of what your score is?

I really have no idea

31 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

hell with that im not even playing this week. way to much concentration needed lol.

There's no participation score. Just boot the game and take a picture of the first level for 3 points.

• Wow! 1

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's no participation score. Just boot the game and take a picture of the first level for 3 points.

oooooooohhhhhhhh!!!! 

shit....you know ill probably end up playing if i take the time to get the cart...rad racer 2 still in the front loader though....not ready to come out yet :))))))

14 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

oooooooohhhhhhhh!!!! 

shit....you know ill probably end up playing if i take the time to get the cart...rad racer 2 still in the front loader though....not ready to come out yet :))))))

Battletoads is easy to get and cheap for a classic.  Do it, especially if you can find it at a local show.

I picked up my copy when I found out about the game for the competition and it's been worth it, competition or not.

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Battletoads is easy to get and cheap for a classic.  Do it, especially if you can find it at a local show.

I picked up my copy when I found out about the game for the competition and it's been worth it, competition or not.

rotfl!!! i meant pick it off the shelf thats within arms reach!!! 🤣🤣🤣 (oh i even got a manual for battletoads its one of my favorite platformers on the nes). 

but that can only happen if i get the energy/will to remove rad racer 2 first hahaaa! 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

rotfl!!! i meant pick it off the shelf thats within arms reach!!! 🤣🤣🤣 (oh i even got a manual for battletoads its one of my favorite platformers on the nes). 

but that can only happen if i get the energy/will to remove rad racer 2 first hahaaa! 

Lol, yeah.  I recalled seeing you had a shelf full of games and I thought there was no way you didn't have this one.  You have a complete collection of NES tapes?

• Like 1