IGNORED

What's Your Favorite Song?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

There's a lot of love for Pink Floyd in here. I've never been able to get into their music, and it makes me feel like I must be missing something. 

@Reed Rothchild @JamesRobot @BortLicensePlate @Webhead123 do you guys have good memories/nostalgia tied to Pink Floyd songs or are you drawn to them from a purely musical standpoint?

-CasualCart

I think for me the coolest thing about Pink Floyd is how their songs are very theatrical and dramatic. Like they how they are able to tell a story, with twists and turns, but a lot of the time with very few lyrics, more instrumentation. I also like how laid back a lot of the music is, its perfect for putting in the background and doing some work. 

I did listen to them a lot in high school with my friends, so there is some nostalgia and memories tied to it, but those experiences just add to it. It's still great music regardless.

• Like 3

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Animals is amazing. Probably Roger's best lyrics and vocals, and Dave's best guitar work.

It was a toss up between Animals and Wish You Were Here. But I think I've listened to Animals the most, I could pop that in on repeat all day, such a great album

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BortLicensePlate said:

It was a toss up between Animals and Wish You Were Here. But I think I've listened to Animals the most, I could pop that in on repeat all day, such a great album

I think this song was a huge influence on Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CasualCart said:

There's a lot of love for Pink Floyd in here. I've never been able to get into their music, and it makes me feel like I must be missing something. 

@Reed Rothchild @JamesRobot @BortLicensePlate @Webhead123 do you guys have good memories/nostalgia tied to Pink Floyd songs or are you drawn to them from a purely musical standpoint?

-CasualCart

I think Pink Floyd are just one of those bands that are timeless. Their music is so diverse and draws you in. Also Roger Waters is amazing live, I wish I could have seen them all together.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

Nothing about Pink Floyd really ties into any nostalgia for me. I've just always liked their very unique sound and the sometimes surrealist and often deeply thematic lyrics have made them stand out for me. I'm not the "biggest fan evar" and I'll be honest that I've only ever really listened to their most popular tracks but I've always just really enjoyed listening to their music.

Queen is a band that I do have some nostalgia for but even divorced from that nostalgia, they've always just blown me away (on some days I even call them my *gasp* favorite band). They were some truly talented people and their effort and talent pours out through their music. One of my favorite albums of all time is A Night at the Opera, partly down to an incredible amount of nostalgia but part because there is not a single dead track on the whole thing and every single song is just so incredibly unique while still being a ringer.

• Like 1

It’s not cool to say it but I think my favorite Floyd is the Wall.  Pound for pound Dark Side is better but I’ve also got a special nostalgia for  the wall.  I got the album (after wanting it for a while) the same X-Mas as Suikoden II.  Suikoden II is my favorite game.  They got used a lot together so there is a lot of linked nostalgia there.

• Like 3

Of all time? Hey Ya! by OutKast. I don't know what it is about the song, but every time I listen to it I'm instantly uplifted and lulled into a really happy mood, which is strange considering the lyrics are anything but happy. Definitely helps that I grew up with the song (it came out a couple weeks before I was three years old (I'm 21 soon, 2003 was indeed 19 years ago)). 

12 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

Pink Floyd is one of those groups that have distinct periods - so you might want to try different ones spread out in their discography's timeline.  I much prefer their earlier stuff (up until and including Meddle) - good times/memories from a time when I was altering my consciousness periodically  - the live album portion of Umma Gumma is pretty awesome.

841928288_download(15).jpeg.570fa70ee964d653446e3f22d6451cb7.jpeg

(Look at the upper left hand section carefully.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Both good, but I prefer Wish You Were here. Of course there is always Dark Side Of The Moon, but my favorite overall Pink Floyd song is Echoes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 5/31/2021 at 3:28 AM, Tabonga said:

Song: Departure From The Northern Wasteland (Michael Hoenig)

Have you seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind? This song is just like the music from that film - saturated with 80s atmospheric synth, but in the best possible way.

-CasualCart

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Have you seen Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind? This song is just like the music from that film - saturated with 80s atmospheric synth, but in the best possible way.

-CasualCart

I have not seen that film - I will have to check it out.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 12:13 AM, Jeevan said:

It sure isn't Aha's take on me!  lol

I don't know that I could ever choose a single song or album.  Right now I'm stuck on Styx, but next week I might get stuck on Snoop Dog or 2Pac.  Who knows what will be on the Playlist 

This.

My tastes change week by week, month by month, I just love music.

• Like 1

On a different note, I also judge music based on how fun I feel it is to play on guitar. 

Some songs are fun to listen to, but are just stupidly simple (and boring) to play, but similarly, if a song is ridiculously difficult to play, that's not much fun either for a guy who just jams out casually. 

Some of the songs that were on my jamming out list recently were as follows (no particular order):

Powderfinger: (Baby I've) Got You on My Mind

Spiderbait: Fuckin' Awesome

Fokofpolisiekar: Maak of Braak

Boehze Onkels: Buch der Errinerung

Nirvana: In Bloom

Goo Goo Dolls: Broadway

Better than Ezra: King of New Orleans

K's Choice: Not an Addict

Montgomery Gentry: Lonely and Gone

Amazing Show: 捲菸

Fire Ex: 十字路口

Beatles: I am the Walrus

Edited by fcgamer

Events Team · Posted

@CasualCart  Primarily my love of Pink Floyd is a musical one.  Their deep and heady space rock really speaks to me and they do these amazing funky breakdowns in the middle of many of my favorite tunes.  Specifically check out the jam around the 7 minute mark here in Echoes.  I love guitar and organ jams that were popular in the 60s/70s and this is my favorite one.

Musically, I consider Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Animals to be their best work and a trilogy of sorts, though Animals is more closely related to Wish You Were Here and The Wall.  Starting with Wish You Were Here, the Floyd start to explore some darker themes of loss and detachment that become increasingly depressing and culminating with the tragic masterpiece that is The Wall and The Final Cut as a dénouement/epilogue of the series of albums.  Wish You Were Here and Animals are highly enjoyable and I listen to them both with some frequency, however The Wall is a little too emotionally intense and I rarely listen to it unless the mood strikes.

I also dig a lot of their early stuff too.  Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a great mix of pop and psychedelic rock of the period.  And like @Tabonga, I am big fan of Ummagumma, though I probably enjoy the studio side a little more.  Critics (and the Floyd themselves) panned the album as being pretentious and self indulgent with no direction, which kind of makes sense given the particular history of the band.  Here they are just after losing former lead singer/songwriter Syd Barret and yet performing some of his songs on the live side of the album.  The studio side is made up entirely of individual solo projects of each band member.  The tracks have a very experimental/psychedelic flavor to them but could certainly be viewed as self indulgent.  But The Floyd have always held some pretense in my eyes, constantly experimenting with sound.  It kind of comes with the territory of being an arthouse psychedelic space rock band from the 60s.

Finally, to answer to the question of nostalgia, Pink Floyd does take on some pretty great nostalgia for me.  I, like many, discovered them in high school and my first album was the recently released double live Pulse, given to me by my girlfriend at the time as a birthday present.  I've replaced the batteries but it still blinks.  It was all downhill after that.

Oxhm5NW.gif

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

The studio portion did give us one of the oddest song titles in rock: 

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Three of their more overlooked albums (IMHO) are Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother (a lot of not so good music but it does have its high points) and the soundtrack to More (which includes one of my favorite songs of theirs).

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, fcgamer said:

On a different note, I also judge music based on how fun I feel it is to play on guitar. 

Some songs are fun to listen to, but are just stupidly simple (and boring) to play, but similarly, if a song is ridiculously difficult to play, that's not much fun either for a guy who just jams out casually. 

Scorpions and Judas Priest fall into the fun to listen to, but too boring to play.

On the reverse of that. After learning to play some Megadeth was when I really gained respect for them musically. There is quite a bit of movement in a Megadeth song, but it doesn’t always sound that way on the album. 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
23 hours ago, Tabonga said:

The studio portion did give us one of the oddest song titles in rock: 

"Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

Three of their more overlooked albums (IMHO) are Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother (a lot of not so good music but it does have its high points) and the soundtrack to More (which includes one of my favorite songs of theirs).

Big fan of Atom Heart Mother. I need to spend some more time with obscured by clouds, for whatever reason I haven't given it much of a shake yet. Their library is pretty vast 

• Like 2