IGNORED

What's Your Favorite Song?

T-Pac

There are a few songs that for a time I could listen to them on repeat. This is rare for me because when it comes to songs or albums, usually after I hear them I need about 24 hours before I care to hear them again.

Songs that I've enjoyed on repeat over the years in no particular order.

• Landed - Ben Folds
  • Don't Panic - Coldplay
  • Something in the Way She Moves - James Taylor
  • Holiday - Thought Beings
  • Classical Thump - Victor Wooten
  • School Days - Stanley Clark
  • Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins
  • I Ran - A Flock of Seagulls

Events Team · Posted

Song: The Show Must Go On - Queen

I think I've told this story to a couple people, but beyond it just being a very good song, the reason this song is so special to me is because... well, a couple years back, I was dealing with suicidal thoughts, as I still deal with every once in awhile and as I had dealt with before. This time was bad though, really bad. I was just mindlessly scrolling through Youtube, wallowing in my own thoughts, when I saw this song in my recommended, a Queen song I hadn't heard before as I had only just started to get in to them a few months beforehand. I click on it without much thought, and listen. For the first minute or so of the song, I just continue feeling worse and worse, and I feel as though it's just validating all of my horrible thoughts. But then, about a minute in, out of nowhere it suddenly starts having a far more hopeful feeling and it picks up, it completely blindsides me. By the 3 minute mark or so, I just start crying uncontrollably as I listen.

It was the first time I had ever experienced anything like that with a song, wherein I was affected that deeply by it, and it felt as though it was speaking directly to me. This song alone gave me a huge amount of hope and willpower to keep pressing on in spite of things getting really brutal with my depression, which is why it's absolutely my favorite song of all time, and probably will be for the remainder of my life. Kind of hard to top that, haha.

Favorite Artist: Queen, without a doubt.

Even the above story notwithstanding, Queen was just a ridiculously talented band, each member was absolutely oozing with sheer talent, and every album they released was absolutely incredible in my eyes, even the albums that a lot of people dislike such as Hot Space. No contest for me here.

Favorite Album: OK, now this is a tricky one. I can pick an individual song or artist that's my favorite, but a favorite album is really tough. I would say probably Made In Heaven, also by Queen, but honestly I'm not fully confident in that being my favorite of all time. For now though, I'll consider that my answer, since out of all of their albums, Made In Heaven is definitely one of my favorites Queen ever made.

I swear I like bands and artists other than just Queen, they just happen to be my favorite, hahaha.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

I'm gonna be honest and just say that music is such a broad topic for me that there's really no such thing as picking a "favorite" that lords over all others. I will, however, give you a small handful of songs that could live amongst that pool of songs that deserve to be in the running.

Father and Son (Cat Stevens)
Layla (Derek and the Dominos)
You Are So Beautiful (Joe Cocker)
Beat It (Michael Jackson)
Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)
Baby Come Back (Player)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)
Creep (Radiohead)
Baby I Love Your Way (Peter Frampton)
Rednecks (Randy Newman - *Live Performance)
Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis (Tom Waits - *Live Performance)

Probably a hundred others I could rattle off but this is a good start.

Graphics Team · Posted

There's a lot of love for Pink Floyd in here. I've never been able to get into their music, and it makes me feel like I must be missing something. 

@Reed Rothchild @JamesRobot @BortLicensePlate @Webhead123 do you guys have good memories/nostalgia tied to Pink Floyd songs or are you drawn to them from a purely musical standpoint?

-CasualCart

Graphics Team · Posted
On 5/29/2021 at 5:36 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

Song: The Show Must Go On - Queen

It was the first time I had ever experienced anything like that with a song, wherein I was affected that deeply by it, and it felt as though it was speaking directly to me. This song alone gave me a huge amount of hope and willpower to keep pressing on in spite of things getting really brutal with my depression, which is why it's absolutely my favorite song of all time, and probably will be for the remainder of my life. Kind of hard to top that, haha.

This is incredible, dude. I had never heard that Queen track before, and it really is fantastic. The more music I listen to, the more I appreciate how powerful it can be.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I can't say I have a favorite song, but my favorite album right now has to be LP2 by Secret Band. It was only released two years ago so I might be responding to the novelty (to a degree), but I think the potential is there for this album to maintain it's dominance in my music-rotation forever.

I don't have a favorite artist either, but I really love ... 

Secret Band/ Dance Gavin Dance,

Louis Armstrong

Frank Sinatra 

-CasualCart

On 5/29/2021 at 4:27 PM, BortLicensePlate said:

Favorite song: Watching the Wheels - John Lennon

Favorite Album: Animals - Pink Floyd 

Though the album could probably any of the 70s Floyd albums, depending on the day you asked me

Animals is amazing. Probably Roger's best lyrics and vocals, and Dave's best guitar work.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
59 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

There's a lot of love for Pink Floyd in here. I've never been able to get into their music, and it makes me feel like I must be missing something. 

@Reed Rothchild @JamesRobot @BortLicensePlate @Webhead123 do you guys have good memories/nostalgia tied to Pink Floyd songs or are you drawn to them from a purely musical standpoint?

-CasualCart

DSotM and Led Zeppelin II/IV are the albums that got me into classic rock in the first place.  So lots of nostalgia for sure.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice.  I have the first 4 albums and lots of other Jonny Craig things

Siiiick - the Johnny Craig era of Dance Gavin Dance has really grown on me. Especially their first release, "Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean". The band got a bit too pop for my taste after "Acceptance Speech" in 2013, but Secret Band fills that void in spades haha. It's basically just the DGD lineup without the clean vocals.

-CasualCart

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

This is incredible, dude. I had never heard that Queen track before, and it really is fantastic. The more music I listen to, the more I appreciate how powerful it can be.

-CasualCart

The story behind that song, and the production of the entire album it originates from, Innuendo, is really incredible. Freddie was already very ill by the time they were working on this album, but he just kept singing and singing and singing. There's one story I always really liked in regards to the "I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, on with the show!" line from that song.

Brian told a feeble Freddie not to over-exert himself during a session for the track’s vocals, intimating he wasn’t up to the challenge. According to Queen lore, a frustrated Freddie responded by slamming a shot or two of vodka, and saying “I’ll fucking do it, darling”. May recalled Mercury’s performance: "He went in and killed it, completely lacerated that vocal"

After the album was released, Freddie wanted the other members of Queen to just keep writing music for him to sing despite how physically weak he was, so they'd have as much material to work with as possible after he was gone, since he knew he didn't have much time left. That's how they managed to release a whole album after his passing, Made In Heaven, which contains, in my opinion anyway, some of their best work.

There's a really chilling story behind one of the songs from Made In Heaven, Mother Love.

The vocals for this song were recorded only a few months before Freddie's passing. However, you'll notice the final verse is actually sung by Brian May, not Freddie. That's because, upon reaching the final verse in the recording studio, Freddie said that he was feeling a bit tired, and that he'd have a rest, but come back later to finish it. That was the last time Freddie ever set foot in the studio, meaning that Brian had to sing the final verse and finish the song himself. The song is already very melancholic and chilling, but knowing that just adds another layer to it, knowing that you're listening to the final vocals Freddie ever sang.

Freddie ended up passing away only nine months after Innuendo was released, and a few years before Made In Heaven was released. As amazing as their early and middle stuff is, their later stuff is equally incredible in my opinion, and really underrated. I'd definitely recommend giving Innuendo and Made In Heaven listens sometime if you ever get the chance, they're both really incredible albums. Anyway, not to derail this topic too much, just wanted to take this opportunity to gush about Queen, haha.

• Wow! 2