IGNORED

Star Keeper NES - a copy sold for $450. Wow

acromite53

14 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

I think I vaguely remember this ebay auction. It was so close and you were pretty pissed. I'm almost sure I can recall this.  Which # was it ? 

I think the listing aged out I can’t get to it from the outbid email anymore. Number wasn’t in the title either unfortunately. Sold around 4/27/22 if someone has another way to look it up

12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I think the listing aged out I can’t get to it from the outbid email anymore. Number wasn’t in the title either unfortunately. Sold around 4/27/22 if someone has another way to look it up

Yeah, your right. It's more than likely hard to find out now since it took place many months ago. Unless you worked for eBay and had access to back log auctions records

• 3 months later...

Wow, has this really blown up in value? I bought one off the eBay auction when it first went up through NA.  It’s in a storage box with my football cards.  I’m ashamed to say I’ve never played it. Argh, I hate admitting that since I’m a gamer first and foremost and don’t like hoarders.  I’ll have to dig it up to see what number it was. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, SilverSurfer said:

Wow, has this really blown up in value? I bought one off the eBay auction when it first went up through NA.  It’s in a storage box with my football cards.  I’m ashamed to say I’ve never played it. Argh, I hate admitting that since I’m a gamer first and foremost and don’t like hoarders.  I’ll have to dig it up to see what number it was. 

Dig it up and then play it!

• Agree 2

I actually just played this game with my buddy the past couple days. I took a trip back to my home town and was staying with him, so we played a handful of homebrew games I'd picked up since the last time we saw each other.

He really liked the game and enjoyed our time with it. You should pop it in and try it, you'll probably really enjoy it! Good look beating it though 😄

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 12:00 AM, fcgamer said:

Any thoughts as to where the price of this will peak? Should we consider getting them slabbed?

I think having a copy graded after the PC version is released might make sense if you wanted to encapsulate a copy and still have the means to play it on PC. 

But what is the estimated cost to grade something like this?  I'd probably grade mine with VGA

• 5 months later...

Hey y’all. I purchased a copy from the original run back on NA. All these years later I just don’t really care about collecting and would be perfectly happy owning a 4 dollar steam copy of the game. I only found one for sale when I checked and they are asking nearly 4k. Seems pretty nuts. Whats a realistic price to ask for one of these bad boys?

52 minutes ago, Dick McGee said:

Hey y’all. I purchased a copy from the original run back on NA. All these years later I just don’t really care about collecting and would be perfectly happy owning a 4 dollar steam copy of the game. I only found one for sale when I checked and they are asking nearly 4k. Seems pretty nuts. Whats a realistic price to ask for one of these bad boys?

I probably set the bar on the last sale for this when I bought mine in January at $1,500. Prices are down since then so $4k is just someone fishing for a whale. Somewhere between $1k-$1,300 might make sense now. Maybe a little bit more on eBay for fees and closer to the lower side on a PayPal only deal. Although I’d be very happy if you got $1,500 or more for it. It is very rare so you can seek as much as you want for it, just gotta find a buyer

Edited by a3quit4s

14 minutes ago, Dick McGee said:

yeah I’d be happy to get 1500 for sure. I will probably have to sell some smaller items first because I have no feedback as a seller yet on eBay. Thanks for the response 

We do have a For Sale thread here as well. I think Star Keeper might be something people here would be interested in plus you can save on eBay fees!

• 3 months later...

Full hypocrite disclosure: I own this from the original NA sales thread, and I would not sell it at the price it's currently going for. 

Disclosures aside, this game isn't that great, I can't understand why it's going for so much money. Can anyone explain why this particular homebrew has captured so much attention? There's so many other great homebrew games. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, but it's no Battle Kid. I don't understand why this particular game is so insanely sought after. 

7 minutes ago, DarkKobold said:

Full hypocrite disclosure: I own this from the original NA sales thread, and I would not sell it at the price it's currently going for. 

Disclosures aside, this game isn't that great, I can't understand why it's going for so much money. Can anyone explain why this particular homebrew has captured so much attention? There's so many other great homebrew games. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, but it's no Battle Kid. I don't understand why this particular game is so insanely sought after. 

This is pretty much the same question for all expensive games. It always comes down to personal preference. I paid a lot for my Star Keeper because it’s cool to me. Some people have paid 10-20x that amount for other expensive games. Really the only answer here is “to each his own”

4 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

This is pretty much the same question for all expensive games. It always comes down to personal preference. I paid a lot for my Star Keeper because it’s cool to me. Some people have paid 10-20x that amount for other expensive games. Really the only answer here is “to each his own”

Fair enough, it just seems like such an odd release, in a dense field of homebrew. I was hoping there was more depth to the story of why it's so desirable, that's all. Like some cool factoid about it that set it apart from the crowd. 

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I think part of the difference is you can get a Battle Kid 2 rom and you can't get a Starkeeper rom. If you want to play Starkeeper you have to have a cart, so the demand is higher, and supply is lower. Economics will tell us what happens from there.

Star Keeper is on Steam for $5.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Aren’t you mad you missed out on the Star Keeper NFT frenzy?

😁 I still got the only NFT. Makes no difference.  Yes, Star Keeper is on Steam.  Probably the best way to play it since it is a difficult and fun game.   

46 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Star Keeper is on Steam for $5.

But I can't play it on my CRT on original hardware and ... wait, I don't do that, anyway.

*Downloading the Star Keeper Ultimate Pack (soundtrack, new skins, new backgrounds for the same levels, etc.)

Edited by Tulpa
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:01 AM, DarkKobold said:

I don't think it's necessary to do some sort of full hypocrite disclosure when posting one's opinions on a gaming forum.

I also own one of these, and have also been saying for years that the game is not great. Then again, neither are the Super A'can games, they are not great either, when compared to the price point. 😉

You ask why the game has captured so much attention? It goes back to the history of the game and its release, as well as the history of NES homebrew as well, imo, ranging from the early years (i.e. Chris Covell and the early impressive tech demos before then) up until now.

A game such as this is quite significant to the history of NES homebrew scene; other titles I'd also value up there would be the early Christmas carts, Garage cart, etc. To compare it to the Super A'can, for example, that's a machine on an equal footing to the Tiger Game.com, i.e. a mediocre machine without much oompf to back it. Yeah, some people tried to artificially inflate the prices and popularity, but at the end of the day there's 12 mediocre 16-bit seen-it-all-before games, with the historical significance resting on an ethnicity, i.e. that Taiwanese people made it for a Taiwan market. On the other hand, with something like Star Keeper, it falls into a much broader historical area, of general NES homebrew, so it should be quite obvious why this would be a significant piece from the early years....

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I don't think it's necessary to do some sort of full hypocrite disclosure when posting one's opinions on a gaming forum.

I also own one of these, and have also been saying for years that the game is not great. Then again, neither are the Super A'can games, they are not great either, when compared to the price point. 😉

You ask why the game has captured so much attention? It goes back to the history of the game and its release, as well as the history of NES homebrew as well, imo, ranging from the early years (i.e. Chris Covell and the early impressive tech demos before then) up until now.

A game such as this is quite significant to the history of NES homebrew scene; other titles I'd also value up there would be the early Christmas carts, Garage cart, etc. To compare it to the Super A'can, for example, that's a machine on an equal footing to the Tiger Game.com, i.e. a mediocre machine without much oompf to back it. Yeah, some people tried to artificially inflate the prices and popularity, but at the end of the day there's 12 mediocre 16-bit seen-it-all-before games, with the historical significance resting on an ethnicity, i.e. that Taiwanese people made it for a Taiwan market. On the other hand, with something like Star Keeper, it falls into a much broader historical area, of general NES homebrew, so it should be quite obvious why this would be a significant piece from the early years....

There’s also an affect around here that we don’t talk about much that boosts prices—mystique.