IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #8: What game from what system do you really wanna play but keep putting it off?

SilverspoonGaming

For me Ridge Racer 4 comes to mind.  I was always floored when reading the reviews of it, and Ill never forget that my go to magazine, PSM, gave it 5 stars. 

I had the first game at launch, and at the time I was blown away by the graphics, but could never win because of the physics which stop your car anytime you hit another or a wall.  I played it a little last night, and I just ordered RR Revolution and Rage Racer to play all of the console releases in order, then Ill play my copy of R4 for the first time.

Another would be the Wing Commander games for me.  I know nothing about the games, or the movie, but have always wanted to try them and still havent done it.  I guess I would need the PC versions to start from the beginning and move into the PS1 versions.

• Like 1

One specific game that sort of represents an entire console of games that I tend to really put off is Oracle of Seasons/Ages. I love the early Zelda series and Link's Awakening is possibly my 2nd favorite Zelda game ever. I've even fired up Seasons recently, as it's on my backlog list of games to finally finish this year. I can already tell that it's good and I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly.

Why then do I find myself putting this (and all other GBC titles) off? It's simple: The form-factor of retro portable gaming. The GBC notoriously has no back-light and is small enough to both cramp my hands and cause me to squint my eyes to see anything. "Just play it on a GBA SP", you say. I have. The SP is even more cramped in the hands and although the back-lit screen is 1000 times easier to look at, it's also still kinda small for my aging eyes. And I generally find that sitting and playing portables isn't the most comfortable thing for me anymore. I probably have some shoddy posture as it is but I can't comfortably play most portable games for more than about 30 minutes at a time before my neck and shoulders start to ache.

See, original Game Boy games don't suffer from this problem because of a beautiful little cartridge called the Super Game Boy! I can play GB games bright and big on my TV!

Sadly, I don't have a Game Boy Player (or a GameCube anymore, for that matter) to be able to do something similar with my GBC and GBA games.

So, while there are still many games on those systems that I really want to play (and some of them I eventually will), it's really tough sometimes to make myself sit down and try to finish them on that itty-bitty screen, with those teeny-tiny buttons. 😢

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

One specific game that sort of represents an entire console of games that I tend to really put off is Oracle of Seasons/Ages. I love the early Zelda series and Link's Awakening is possibly my 2nd favorite Zelda game ever. I've even fired up Seasons recently, as it's on my backlog list of games to finally finish this year. I can already tell that it's good and I'm going to enjoy it thoroughly.

Why then do I find myself putting this (and all other GBC titles) off? It's simple: The form-factor of retro portable gaming. The GBC notoriously has no back-light and is small enough to both cramp my hands and cause me to squint my eyes to see anything. "Just play it on a GBA SP", you say. I have. The SP is even more cramped in the hands and although the back-lit screen is 1000 times easier to look at, it's also still kinda small for my aging eyes. And I generally find that sitting and playing portables isn't the most comfortable thing for me anymore. I probably have some shoddy posture as it is but I can't comfortably play most portable games for more than about 30 minutes at a time before my neck and shoulders start to ache.

See, original Game Boy games don't suffer from this problem because of a beautiful little cartridge called the Super Game Boy! I can play GB games bright and big on my TV!

Sadly, I don't have a Game Boy Player (or a GameCube anymore, for that matter) to be able to do something similar with my GBC and GBA games.

So, while there are still many games on those systems that I really want to play (and some of them I eventually will), it's really tough sometimes to make myself sit down and try to finish them on that itty-bitty screen, with those teeny-tiny buttons. 😢

Are you gonna pick up the Analogue Pocket? It'll have a stand with an hdmi connection to play basically any handheld game on a tv. 

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Webhead123 said:

It sounds like your solution is a GC and the GBA player.

spyroahtsavefile.jpg.7de83bd39d3470cf07d05a3f696adf16.jpg

Spyro: A Hero's Tail for GameCube. I've had a save file for it since 2014, and still haven't gotten even halfway through the game. Which is a little weird, because I've beaten Enter the Dragonfly several times and even got back into playing Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning last month. I don't know why I haven't been playing A Hero's Tail as much, but I do want to beat it this year.

mmxcmsavefile.jpg.17de48405250a81d0e1231794826003f.jpg

Mega Man X: Command Mission is another one. While I do play it occasionally, I haven't made any real progress in that game since 2008 (!). I'm going to get back into playing it this year, though. I've put off completing it long enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

It sounds like your solution is a GC and the GBA player.

Yes, indeed...except that the logistics of getting that together and integrated into my current set-up is kind of intimidating. There's a surprising amount of nuance and expense to GC-GBA these days. Or at least, that's the impression I get whenever I start researching it.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Yes, indeed...except that the logistics of getting that together and integrated into my current set-up is kind of intimidating. There's a surprising amount of nuance and expense to GC-GBA these days. Or at least, that's the impression I get whenever I start researching it.

Same.

Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1.  

Many of you know I don't like JRPGs.  So I don't play Final Fantasy games after FF6 (and even that one was starting to get "too JRPG" for me).  But, I still would like to give Tactics a try sometime, due to the tactical gameplay, from what I hear.

I have my brother's copy of Tactics sitting right over here.  I have had it for probably 15 years, but still haven't played it.  I think my brother forgot I still have his copy.  I should remind him of this...

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I think I got the GBA Player accessory (and the fabled play disc), literally, right before it exploded in price.  One of my few "collecting insights" of my career.  The GBA Player for GC is a great accessory.  It really is the only way I play GBA games nowadays.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, Sumer said:

I think I got the GBA Player accessory (and the fabled play disc), literally, right before it exploded in price.  One of my few "collecting insights" of my career.  The GBA Player for GC is a great accessory.  It really is the only way I play GBA games nowadays.

What about on a Nintendo DS?

Handheld > Tethered to a TV

Administrator · Posted
15 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

The bare player still isn't too badly priced (although not ten bucks like it used to be) and there's a way to play it without the disc now.

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

For me it's Destiny of an Emperor 2 on the Famicom; I'm really looking forward to getting into it, but I know it's going to be like a 60 hour epic, and the thought of spending that much time on one game just makes me not want to even think about it...

Are you planning on playing a translated version or the Japanese?

20 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

For me Ridge Racer 4 comes to mind.  I was always floored when reading the reviews of it, and Ill never forget that my go to magazine, PSM, gave it 5 stars. 

I had the first game at launch, and at the time I was blown away by the graphics, but could never win because of the physics which stop your car anytime you hit another or a wall.  I played it a little last night, and I just ordered RR Revolution and Rage Racer to play all of the console releases in order, then Ill play my copy of R4 for the first time.

Another would be the Wing Commander games for me.  I know nothing about the games, or the movie, but have always wanted to try them and still havent done it.  I guess I would need the PC versions to start from the beginning and move into the PS1 versions.

R4 is awesome.  Definitely the best racer I’ve played on the system though admittedly I’m not really a racing guy.  I don’t know that I’ve ever played Gran Turismo.

A couple of titles come to mind. 

Dragon Warrior 3 & DW 4 - I played the First 2 and I love the Series and the original is in my top 5 games all time but I’ve never sat down and played 3 or 4. 

Brave Fencer Musashi - looks cool.  Never played it.  

Chrono Cross - it’s supposed to be good.  Never played it.  

Legend of Dragoon - See above.  Actually let’s just say this sentiment goes for a lot of cool PS1 RPGs i haven’t gotten around to.

Anything on the switch not called rocket league or Tetris 99 - yup.

SaGa Frontier on the PS1.

Love the art style, the in-game world, the music, the battle system with techs and combos that remind me of Chrono Trigger.

But it's heavily cryptic to the point of getting lost for hours not knowing what to do, and the fact that the mobs' stats scale to yours but can sometimes be criminally unbalanced. I have found myself softlocked more than once because of this, there was no way to beat a certain boss or even handle encounters effectively and had to re-start.

I'm hoping the Switch remake will improve on these aspects.