IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #8: What game from what system do you really wanna play but keep putting it off?

SilverspoonGaming

Too many to list to be fair, I'd even have to split the list into two categories:

Never played before  *and* got the version or upgraded/remastered version of a game back, want to do it again(or really finish for the first time.)

Yeah, it's that bad.  I've been selling off even stuff like that just to kill the burden.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That is a trade-off I'm willing to make for the versatility of a portable with sleep mode.

It's a real thing for me, at least, once I hit my 40s.  Seriously, when I turned 40, its like my eyes suddenly got even worse than they were.  I still can't believe I have frickin' bifocals!

Edited by Sumer

8 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Are you planning on playing a translated version or the Japanese?

I'm actually going for a full loose set for Famicom, and in a perfect world, every single game that needs textual understanding would be translated.  I know that's a pipe dream, but I do translate them as I want to play them.  What I do is burn English patches onto EPROMs and put them in the actual Famicom carts (butchery, I know) and then play the original games on my Famicom, but in English.  And I put a little sticker on each game I've translated that says "English."  Romhacking.net is my best friend 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:05 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm actually going for a full loose set for Famicom, and in a perfect world, every single game that needs textual understanding would be translated.  I know that's a pipe dream, but I do translate them as I want to play them.  What I do is burn English patches onto EPROMs and put them in the actual Famicom carts (butchery, I know) and then play the original games on my Famicom, but in English.  And I put a little sticker on each game I've translated that says "English."  Romhacking.net is my best friend 🙂

That's freaking awesome. 

I've had Ultima 4 floating around in the back of my mind for a while. Same for Wizardry series. Last I played wiz, I was on floor 3 and was getting schooled by what is probably an amateur trap. Someday I'll grab one of the trilogy ports (I hear PSX version allows you to import parties from 5 but I dunno if I would care to play 5 anyway) and continue my struggle.

I don't often have games that wait on a "want to play" list however. I'm more the type to find the game and play it immediately; I can tell pretty quickly if I like a game or not. Usually it has to be really hard to get for me to have not played it. For example, I really like prop flyer, but it is rare, so I can't play it much.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, Sumer said:

Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1.  

Many of you know I don't like JRPGs.  So I don't play Final Fantasy games after FF6 (and even that one was starting to get "too JRPG" for me).  But, I still would like to give Tactics a try sometime, due to the tactical gameplay, from what I hear.

I have my brother's copy of Tactics sitting right over here.  I have had it for probably 15 years, but still haven't played it.  I think my brother forgot I still have his copy.  I should remind him of this...

On 5/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, Hammerfestus said:

R4 is awesome.  Definitely the best racer I’ve played on the system though admittedly I’m not really a racing guy.  I don’t know that I’ve ever played Gran Turismo.

A couple of titles come to mind. 

Dragon Warrior 3 & DW 4 - I played the First 2 and I love the Series and the original is in my top 5 games all time but I’ve never sat down and played 3 or 4. 

Brave Fencer Musashi - looks cool.  Never played it.  

Chrono Cross - it’s supposed to be good.  Never played it.  

Legend of Dragoon - See above.  Actually let’s just say this sentiment goes for a lot of cool PS1 RPGs i haven’t gotten around to.

Anything on the switch not called rocket league or Tetris 99 - yup.

Big recommendations for FF Tactics and Brave Fencer.

FF Tactics is unbelievably strong in terms of both gameplay and story. Musashi is a bit more light hearted, but still a nice challenge and a lot of fun. The opening hour or so is a blast and really sets the tone for the whole adventure. There are also a ton of collectibles and interesting stuff to find.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Old RPGs like Temple of Apshai and Pool of Radiance. I want to play them for the history, but man some 40 year old games like RPGs and strategy games just seem tremendously tedious.

Reminds me of the fact I'd love to try some of those Goldbox tsr DOS games, even have some from cheap buy/gimmes from GoG, and with the modernization from GoldBox expansion there's really not a big reason not to -- except time, it's never on your side.

13 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Old RPGs like Temple of Apshai and Pool of Radiance. I want to play them for the history, but man some 40 year old games like RPGs and strategy games just seem tremendously tedious.

I have Temple of Apshai for both Commodore 64 and the Atari 8-bit computer.  I have played it on C64 and it is actually quite entertaining with you reading the manual as go along to each room...it almost feels like a board game being played on the C64, or a D&D session with you acting as both the player and Dungeon Master.

• 3 weeks later...

Glover I had this back in the day, haven't in probably 20 years now though.  It was weird, but it oddly played well and was pretty fun and it stood out just a little better than some of the huge pile of generic platformers in 3D that came out at that same time.

• Like 1