IGNORED

TurboGrafx LOVE (and all NEC love in general)

On 8/29/2022 at 3:40 AM, Tanooki said:

Not a bad idea, fits almost too well.  I was just happy to find a baseball card plastic box holder meant for 100 cards, fit like 22-25 hucards nicely inside with just enough room to tilt it to get them out without sticking or getting hung up.

It doesn't fit quite as well as I'd hoped - it's designed to fit 160 cards, but since HuCards are obviously a lot thicker than regular cards, I can only fill up pages on a single side. If both sides are populated they are impossible to get out, and if I have more than 80 cards in there I won't be able to zip it up.
Mildly annoying because I have a good deal more than 80 HuCard games. But at least leaving out most of the crappier or all-in-japanese text centric games will still leave me with a number I can fit

I used to have a large binder for collectible cards, you know where you can just insert extra pages - I'm pretty sure I got it with a small bundle of HuCard-only games which were already in it. But it's way too big and unwieldly which defeats the purpose, and the games will just fall out through the top of the pockets if it gets tilted in the wrong direction. Looks cool, but not a very elegant solution. Despite the sacrifice of only using half the pockets in this one, I think it's a very good fit for PC Engine games 🙂 

Edited by Sumez

@Sumez Familiar with that, it's specifically why I did not go with the classic baseball card binder with the drop in slots, they suck.  And given it's hard binder that should hold 100s, but doesn't expect fat cards, you run out of room really fast.  The card stretch the pockets even worse so the games fall out really easy and fast.  That's why I did the plastic card cases.  Sure you can't see every game right off, but they flip out real easy and store compact.

1 hour ago, elprincipe said:

Hey guys - I just received this today, but I'm paranoid about fakes. Does anyone have a copy they know is legit and can compare with mine? There are a bunch of pictures on eBay but I'm nervous. Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_20220903_152512021.jpg

IMG_20220903_152528125.jpg

One quick way to check fakes for pc engine games is to check the code on the ring of the CD. Could be the same for TG16 games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

One quick way to check fakes for pc engine games is to check the code on the ring of the CD. Could be the same for TG16 games.

Thanks. I actually just checked my Bonk 3 CD (which I know is legit because I got it direct from TTI back in the day) and it's very similar, just with different numbers which I assume is true for each game - for example also checked Shape Shifter which is the same but a different number, and Exile Wicked Phenomenon which similarly has a different number but also has "Made in U.S.A." stamped on the inner ring. But my Sword Master has a different style altogether, which makes me wonder if there were different styles of disc used for different games - anyone know if there is an authoritative source of info on that sort of thing? But I do think it's probably unlikely pirates would be able to match the exact type of disc?

3 hours ago, elprincipe said:

Hey guys - I just received this today, but I'm paranoid about fakes. Does anyone have a copy they know is legit and can compare with mine? There are a bunch of pictures on eBay but I'm nervous. Thanks in advance for your input.

IMG_20220903_152512021.jpg

Ok don't take this as political people, but is Vasteel about the 3 faces of Trump? 😉  Or it's three angry graying oompa loompas.

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 8:45 AM, Sumez said:

Got myself a new HuCard storage solution. Small upgrade over the 4L plastic bag:

https://imgur.com/a/0ta1wKB

I had those but the 9 per page version. I found they pulled on the pages too much and drooped from the weight. Looks good in display though. 

I use these:image.thumb.jpg.ebad2a4171c52a2465146530c67a68d5.jpg

dont display as nice but space saving.

@elprincipe

image.jpg.bc99f127399c1344e7565d41fb3976da.jpg

mine looks like a bootleg too but is 100% real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

...."made cases" ..... does that mean you found them? Or you actually made them? 

I used cases from other games, removed the original labels, and attached the fan-made labels (since as you know those games didn't come with cases). I wish I could find new-made replacement cases but sadly they aren't to my knowledge available.

13 hours ago, elprincipe said:

I used cases from other games, removed the original labels, and attached the fan-made labels (since as you know those games didn't come with cases). I wish I could find new-made replacement cases but sadly they aren't to my knowledge available.

🤔

I did not know this. Also wasn't trying to be accusatory, as I thought it might have been a language thing, but I see you're from West Virginia 😆

I'm new to the Turbo scene, so out of curiosity... How would a noob like myself even tell (it wasn't a real case) by looking at that? 

Looks like the other Turbo games, haha. I guess an actual collector just knows there weren't cases for those games?  🤣🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I'm new to the Turbo scene, so out of curiosity... How would a noob like myself even tell (it wasn't a real case) by looking at that?

Of the original 94 Turbochip (Hucard) games, only 21 came without cases, so just keep a list of those games handy and you'll know for sure for those 21 if the case is fake.  As for the other 73 that actually came with cases, real ones have rounded end labels, meaning the actual sticker does not have sharp 90 degree corners, whereas fakes/repros don't bother with rounding the corners, so if you look closely you'll see that the actual end label of reproduction stickers have the sharp 90 degree corners.

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AirVillain said:

🤔

I did not know this. Also wasn't trying to be accusatory, as I thought it might have been a language thing, but I see you're from West Virginia 😆

Looks like the other Turbo games, haha. I guess an actual collector just knows there weren't cases for those games?  🤣🤷‍♂️

Hey no worries, sorry if I came off as defensive or something in my reply (it wasn't meant to be). They are real TG-16 cases, just that I've replaced the original labels with ones people sell for those who want to put their games that came without cases in cases so that they match on the shelf.

As @Dr. Morbishelpfully mentioned, at the end of the system's lifecycle they released games that came in cardboard boxes with clear plastic inserts that held the HuCard and manual, but no hard case like those included with the earlier Turbo games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elprincipe said:

I've replaced the original labels with ones people sell for those who want to put their games that came without cases in cases so that they match on the shelf.

I did this years ago as well and it's a shame that I had to basically "kill" 21 games to get their cases; I did sell the extra loose hucards, so it wasn't a total loss but it still sucks since even the most common TG games are really not all that common.  The worst part is that they used a PC Engine style case for Keith Courage which is different from all the other North American releases.  Had they not done that, I would have just harvested 21 cases from that one ultra common shitty game in the library instead of having to find 21 other random titles.  And yeah, I know that someone probably did or does make reproduction cases, but it's just not the same for me...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Of the original 94 Turbochip (Hucard) games, only 21 came without cases, so just keep a list of those games handy and you'll know for sure for those 21 if the case is fake.  As for the other 73 that actually came with cases, real ones have rounded end labels, meaning the actual sticker does not have sharp 90 degree corners, whereas fakes/repros don't bother with rounding the corners, so if you look closely you'll see that the actual end label of reproduction stickers have the sharp 90 degree corners.

Is there a quick link to this 21 games without cases list ?

Been wondering. Thanks in advance

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Amazing, thank you for the explanation. I certainly noticed, and very much appreciated, the rounded labels. Fuckin' neat!

Learning so much just from this thread, much appreciated!

6 hours ago, elprincipe said:

Hey no worries, sorry if I came off as defensive or something in my reply (it wasn't meant to be). They are real TG-16 cases, just that I've replaced the original labels with ones people sell for those who want to put their games that came without cases in cases so that they match on the shelf.

As @Dr. Morbishelpfully mentioned, at the end of the system's lifecycle they released games that came in cardboard boxes with clear plastic inserts that held the HuCard and manual, but no hard case like those included with the earlier Turbo games.

No no, you're all good. 

Interesting. It's a whole new world learning about TG. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I did this years ago as well and it's a shame that I had to basically "kill" 21 games to get their cases; I did sell the extra loose hucards, so it wasn't a total loss but it still sucks since even the most common TG games are really not all that common.  The worst part is that they used a PC Engine style case for Keith Courage which is different from all the other North American releases.  Had they not done that, I would have just harvested 21 cases from that one ultra common shitty game in the library instead of having to find 21 other random titles.  And yeah, I know that someone probably did or does make reproduction cases, but it's just not the same for me...

Okay, so I was wondering what the overall thought about this would be. 

The place I am buying my current set of games has a bunch more Turbo games, with a bunch in cases, but chances of them being faked is low I would think. But I'll certainly keep an eye out. 

The label on the side is one of the things I love about the Turbo games, haha. Which actually brings up another question...

What do the different colours mean? Pardon my ignorace, I know I could likely find this information by searching online.... but I also enjoy the banter and insight that people here provide. 🤗

53 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

No no, you're all good. 

Interesting. It's a whole new world learning about TG. 

What do the different colours mean? Pardon my ignorace, I know I could likely find this information by searching online.... but I also enjoy the banter and insight that people here provide. 🤗

For your reference as someone learning about the system:

• Early TurboChip (HuCard) games came with: outer cardboard box (these are a huge pain to find at this point in time), styrofoam block (like an NES game), plastic case, manual, HuCard, plastic sleeve for HuCard
  • Late TurboChip games = outer cardboard box, clear plastic tray inside box, manual, HuCard
  • Early CD games = outer cardboard box, styrofoam block, CD case, manual, CD
  • Late CD games = CD case, manual, CD

All games were sealed in shrinkwrap from the factory, but no Y-folds on at least the cardboard boxes (I can't remember offhand for the CD games).

Also, I'm not sure on the colors. I thought at one point they indicated genre but that's just a guess.

Edited by elprincipe
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the different colors, at least as far as I can tell.

These are the 21 TurboGrafx games that have no jewel case:

-Air Zonk
-Bomberman '93
-Bonk 3: Bonk's Big Adventure
-Chase HQ
-D&D: Order of the Griffon
-Darkwing Duck
-Dead Moon
-Falcon
-Ghost Manor
-Hit the Ice
-Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu
-Legend of Hero Tonma
-Magical Chase
-Neutopia II
-New Adventure Island (best game on the system 😛 )
-Samurai Ghost
-Shockman
-Soldier Blade
-Somer Assault
-Time Cruise
-World Sports Competition

Hope that helps...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, elprincipe said:

For your reference as someone learning about the system:

• Early TurboChip (HuCard) games came with: outer cardboard box (these are a huge pain to find at this point in time), styrofoam block (like an NES game), plastic case, manual, HuCard, plastic sleeve for HuCard
  • Late TurboChip games = outer cardboard box, clear plastic tray inside box, manual, HuCard

And don't forget that the later HuCard games also came with a different "crosshatched" plastic sleeve than the earlier ones too...

• Wow! 1