IGNORED

TurboGrafx LOVE (and all NEC love in general)

6 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

Holy shit.  I never even knew these existed TBH.  What games does it play?  What kind of monitor?  Is it an RGB arcade monitor?  Very cool.

It plays anything but CD's, just a PCEngine inside connected to a JAMMA pretty much. No idea what kind of monitor it is, doubt it's RGB though.

American amusements partnered with NEC on this and made some conversion kits/dedicated arcade cabinets. There's an interview posted to YouTube about 8 months ago of the engineer who put these things together if you search Turbografx 16 JAMMA.

4 hours ago, Gex said:

It plays anything but CD's, just a PCEngine inside connected to a JAMMA pretty much. No idea what kind of monitor it is, doubt it's RGB though.

JAMMA is RGB, would be weird if the monitor isn't, as with every other arcade cabinet. One of my friends has one of those jamma-fied PCE boards (not sure if it's "licensed" like this one, there seems to be a lot of them around), and it definitely uses the RGB output on the JAMMA connector.

That one only takes Japanese cards though, at least to my knowledge. And it came with a version of Parasol Stars which I deemed bootleg, as it's a couple of eproms on a PCB. It has an issue where sprites will start glitching out once you get near the end of the game, but plays fine in the first 3/4 or so.

The strange way it works is that putting in a credit will allow one press of the "RUN" button. So if you don't use that press to get from the title screen to the main game, tough luck, you'll have to pay up another credit 🤣
Especially annoying in a game like Son Son II where using the button to cycle through your inventory is somewhat necessary.

Still trying to decide how deep I’m going to get into TG16 collecting. I was originally just trying to replace my childhood collection that I sold off about 10 years ago, but started back with PCE versions since they were super cheap. That didn’t scratch the nostalgia itch, so now I have most of my childhood titles on PCE and TG16. I’m thinking about going for a full “set” of all titles released in North America, but remaining agnostic about whether I buy the PCE or TG16 version. 

Decisions, decisions 🤔

23 minutes ago, pacowles said:

Still trying to decide how deep I’m going to get into TG16 collecting. I was originally just trying to replace my childhood collection that I sold off about 10 years ago, but started back with PCE versions since they were super cheap. That didn’t scratch the nostalgia itch, so now I have most of my childhood titles on PCE and TG16. I’m thinking about going for a full “set” of all titles released in North America, but remaining agnostic about whether I buy the PCE or TG16 version. 

Decisions, decisions 🤔

Pce can be “easy” if you want. Tg-16 is good to get if you have deep pockets!

• Like 1

PCE can be very easy, especially if you also want to save a bunch of room, as buying just the cards saves quite a bit now that Japanese prices have been annoyingly climbing in the last couple of years now.  The prices now the loose stuff either remained flat, the nicer ones are up to what complete were there, and complete...blah.

I actually played my system yesterday for around an hour, sadly didn't do a heap for me so I"m starting to question if I should let it go, probably going to give it a few more tries first.  That or I can just put it away for awhile, not like unless age eats it, it'll not work in another year or few.

4 hours ago, pacowles said:

I’m thinking about going for a full “set” of all titles released in North America, but remaining agnostic about whether I buy the PCE or TG16 version. 

I'm not sure why you'd care about TG16 versions for either purpose. 🙂 
There are a handful of games that have an advantage from being in English of course, like the Neutopia games (but those are also much more expensive in English), but the vast majority makes no difference, and a TON of the best games on the system are only available in Japanese. Probably moreso than any other platform outside of the Saturn.

Might as well go for the gold!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm not sure why you'd care about TG16 versions for either purpose. 🙂 

I actually prefer TG16 from a collecting standpoint, as I’m one of the seemingly few that actually likes the goofy art style and more basic HuCard design. I’m definitely also interested in getting some of the PCE exclusive releases, but more focused on the US releases for the nostalgia factor. 

I know it sounds arbitrary, but aiming for all HuCards released in North America (even if it’s the PCE version) gives me some direction and a goal. For games like Magical Chase and others that are atrociously expensive, I’m fine with a high quality repro, but that’s just me. I already have an SSDS3 and Turbo Everdrive, so this is more of a collection focus rather than practical gaming focus. I’ve literally never finished an entire console library set despite collecting basically my entire life, so I’m hoping this goal is realistic with the caveats of PCE and repros being acceptable when necessary. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, pacowles said:

Still trying to decide how deep I’m going to get into TG16 collecting

It's a deep deep hole, 7 years in and I still don't have every CD game. The experience though has been more than amazing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, I'm totally new to the TurboGrafx-16 community and was wondering if anyone could help me a little with these two questions.

1. Is the Turbo Duo a console that plays both HuCards and CD games or an add-on just like the Sega CD was to the Genesis ? The seller who sold me my TurboGrafx-16 console told me that you could insert the Turbo Duo console just behind (the part covered by the removable plastic piece).

2. Can PC Engine HuCards be played directly on a NTSC TurboGrafx-16 console ? If not, is there an adaptor which requires no mods ?

3. Can Japanese CD games be played on a NTSC console which supports CD games ?

Homebrew Team · Posted
29 minutes ago, RetroMichel said:

Hello guys, I'm totally new to the TurboGrafx-16 community and was wondering if anyone could help me a little with these two questions.

1. Is the Turbo Duo a console that plays both HuCards and CD games or an add-on just like the Sega CD was to the Genesis ? The seller who sold me my TurboGrafx-16 console told me that you could insert the Turbo Duo console just behind (the part covered by the removable plastic piece).

2. Can PC Engine HuCards be played directly on a NTSC TurboGrafx-16 console ? If not, is there an adaptor which requires no mods ?

3. Can Japanese CD games be played on a NTSC console which supports CD games ?

Hey @RetroMichel!  For the short quick to the answer:

1. Turbo Duo or PC engine Duo (Japanese version ) is an all in one console.  It plays both turbochips ( or HuCards for PC engine) and CDs out of the box.

1b.  If you have a Turbografx 16, instead you can get the CD ROM attachment.  It comes with a base that connects to the rear expansion port and a CD drive module.  You need a particular tubochip as well in the card slot (this is not required for Duo).  The drive is called CD ROM ROM for PC engine.

2. For cards, they are region locked.  Either you need to get an internal hardware mod that flips pins with a switch between PC engine and Turbografx or they do sell adapters.  Game-tech.us sells a version on the mod.

3. CDs are not region locked, you can play any region without mod.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RetroMichel said:

Was the seller confused or trying to trick you?  I know you're new and just asking, and that's smart, a simple google image search would show the Duo is a stand alone console.  But you do now know what you need, the Super CDROM system add-on that does in fact attach in the rear.  You will also though need a SYSTEM CARD v3.0 as it has the largest memory footprint needed for CD, Super CD and Super CD 2 style games.  There is one larger (arcade card) but you'll have no use for it as it's a Japanese thing.

Deadeye gave you a good set of answers there.

I would add though, since you went with a US system, the games are far more atrociously higher priced than the Japanese versions.  Because of this I would strongly suggest buying from Krikzz the Turbo Everdrive.  IT is a modern HuCard/Turbochip card with a microSD card slot on it.  YOu can throw the full game library JP(far better and larger list) and US library on one little memory card and play anything.  Then from there, decide if the expense to you is worth it, then buy what you like best and just enjoy the rest using the kit.   The CDs though, same basic principle, as there's no security on them, you can burn stuff and try it out before you buy it.

• Thanks 1

OK guys, a game store in Québec happens to have a Turbo Duo (with box, cables and controller) for 648,45 USD. I negociated a 100 dollars reduction and he agreed, but he leaves me two days to decide if I take it or not. Your thoughts ? Is the CD library (PC Engine and Turbografx) worth it or I should just stay with my Turbografx-16 ?

Given what those cost today and with it I guess complete in the actual box, you're not getting ripped off, I'd think it to be a steal.

The only one on ebay that actually sold (paid?) was like 4mo~ ago for $1300USD.  I doubt they paid, but who knows, but you're at 1/2 that price.  Duo's almost always like the SuperCD systems, the handheld, and the US/NA TG16 tend to have nasty capacitor issues.  Even if it's working, they're trouble, I'd get the thing recapped by someone if they haven't for that price.

Yes the CD library is good, good enough for your needs, I won't and can't say.  Check the PC ENgine Bible and especially this site too http://videogameden.com/ I think it would be in your best interest to read up on the CD game reviews before  you jump as the CD units or CDin one (Duos) are expensive and can be testy.  Krikzz who does the everdrive, much liek the recent Sega refresh that'll do CD ISOs, is supposedly this year or next bringing out a PCE/TG upgraded one to run ISOs too through the hucard alone.  I'm holding out for that at this rate, unless those bumblers at Analogue get their modern DUO order / presell issues sorted out.  It's almost more worth waiting on either of those choices since they're not so freaking old, and worse old testy hardware at that.

You might be better off if you do stick with your TG just doing hard research and getting the drive add-on later if you must.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetroMichel said:

OK guys, a game store in Québec happens to have a Turbo Duo (with box, cables and controller) for 648,45 USD. I negociated a 100 dollars reduction and he agreed, but he leaves me two days to decide if I take it or not. Your thoughts ? Is the CD library (PC Engine and Turbografx) worth it or I should just stay with my Turbografx-16 ?

I can sell you one for like a fraction of that, PM me

• Wow! 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...