IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

Hey guys, I have setting on my shelf a fair conditioned Sunsoft Daedalean Opus Sunsoft box and an excellent/mint conditioned manual.  The box does not have a tray, it has an EB sticker on it a previous owner popped open the bottom, so it will need to be re-assembled.

Anyway, they are setting on my shelf and I don't really care to keep them if I can get a decent price for them, or a nice trade.

PM me if you're interested.  This one isn't as rare as Lock n Chase, but CIB for it is rare enough though.   I just don't like the EB sticker on the box and the fact that I can't figure out how to properly re-assemble the base (and the lack of the tray.)

3 hours ago, RH said:

Hey guys, I have setting on my shelf a fair conditioned Sunsoft Daedalean Opus Sunsoft box and an excellent/mint conditioned manual.  The box does not have a tray, it has an EB sticker on it a previous owner popped open the bottom, so it will need to be re-assembled.

Anyway, they are setting on my shelf and I don't really care to keep them if I can get a decent price for them, or a nice trade.

PM me if you're interested.  This one isn't as rare as Lock n Chase, but CIB for it is rare enough though.   I just don't like the EB sticker on the box and the fact that I can't figure out how to properly re-assemble the base (and the lack of the tray.)

I can help you reassemble the bottom, I'll make a video for you 🙂

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I was looking for TM vs. Circle-R differences on Skate or Die: Bad n Rad, and I found that the box and manual had a rev-1 where the TM was changed to R, but I haven't found any carts with the R. You can easily find dozens of TM carts. Here's an ebay listing that shows just the box and manual, both R, (manual is rev-1, don't know about the box) and then a listing with box and cart, where the box shows R but the cart shows TM. So if that cart was originally shipped in that box, then perhaps there's no cart variant for that one? It's not the 100% definitive slam-dunk evidence I was hoping for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skate-or-Die-Bad-n-Rad-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Empty-Box-and-Manual-ONLY-no-game/153933775922

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skate-Or-Die-Bad-N-Rad-Nintendo-Original-Gameboy-With-Box-amp-Cart-Tested-/254729072164

the Skate or Die: Bad n Rad has been one that has hunted me for a while that is for variants. 

reason this has a Konami logo version one and the new Konami logo version two has been updated on every game but this one.  so i have been looking to see if there is a skate or die: bad n rad rev-1 to match the logo update.

has anyone see one???

here is a mix up one for you.  

the tm vs. r really has to do with timing and print time. 

TM symbol for new goods or services in advance of and during the application process.

The R symbol indicates that this word, phrase or logo is a registered trademark for the product or service.

It must only be used in the case of registered trademarks and by the owner or licensee. It also must only be used in the regions in which you possess a valid trademark registration.

this is why it really depends on when something was printed/reprinted.  there is about 6 months laps during each renewal time of the logo.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ad3c05f5a29e71f79a381d35dc198dc3.jpg .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

here is a mix up one for you.  

the tm vs. r really has to do with timing and print time. 

TM symbol for new goods or services in advance of and during the application process.

The R symbol indicates that this word, phrase or logo is a registered trademark for the product or service.

It must only be used in the case of registered trademarks and by the owner or licensee. It also must only be used in the regions in which you possess a valid trademark registration.

this is why it really depends on when something was printed/reprinted.  there is about 6 months laps during each renewal time of the logo.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ad3c05f5a29e71f79a381d35dc198dc3.jpg .

Had anyone applied this knowledge to NES/SNES variant hunting yet?! @JVOSS you might be about to blow their world up! 

• Wow! 1

3 hours ago, Splain said:

I was looking for TM vs. Circle-R differences on Skate or Die: Bad n Rad, and I found that the box and manual had a rev-1 where the TM was changed to R, but I haven't found any carts with the R. You can easily find dozens of TM carts. Here's an ebay listing that shows just the box and manual, both R, (manual is rev-1, don't know about the box) and then a listing with box and cart, where the box shows R but the cart shows TM. So if that cart was originally shipped in that box, then perhaps there's no cart variant for that one? It's not the 100% definitive slam-dunk evidence I was hoping for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skate-or-Die-Bad-n-Rad-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Empty-Box-and-Manual-ONLY-no-game/153933775922

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Skate-Or-Die-Bad-N-Rad-Nintendo-Original-Gameboy-With-Box-amp-Cart-Tested-/254729072164

I have never found a R Skate or Die cart. I have bought 2 R CIB Stake or Die and both came with a TM cart.

2 hours ago, JVOSS said:

the Skate or Die: Bad n Rad has been one that has hunted me for a while that is for variants. 

reason this has a Konami logo version one and the new Konami logo version two has been updated on every game but this one.  so i have been looking to see if there is a skate or die: bad n rad rev-1 to match the logo update.

has anyone see one???

The -1 re-release for both Castlevania Adventure and Castlevania II have the old Konami logo (even though the publisher was changed to Konami America) Skate or Die follows this pattern for early release Konami games

On 7/16/2020 at 9:31 PM, Splain said:

While we're on the subject, (we're not.) I've finally gathered all the SML and Tetris manual variants! If anyone has any ideas for a good way to compare these things, I'd love to document what the differences are from revision to revision. I can eyeball a few copyright/disclaimer differences in the first page, but I'd love to see if there are any actual content differences, in these and other manual variants in the library. It just gets kind of cumbersome and tricky to just open them both and keep moving my head back and forth. Though not many games have manual variants up to 6 or 7. And if anyone has ever seen anything higher than SML USA-7 or Tetris USA-6, give me a shout!

4X2zy4g.jpg

You are missing one.

image.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

2 minutes ago, RH said:

@RpgCollector & maybe @JVOSS on a 1-to-10 rarity scale, how rare would you rate each of these CIBs?  For those familiar, think the old NA scale.

I would rate the SML Black E CIB a 10. This is the only one I have seen.
SML 2 Black E CIB a 9.5 I have seen 3
Donkey Kong Land Black E CIB a 8.5 I have seen 5
Donkey Kong Land 2 Black E CIB a 8.5 I have seen 5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RpgCollector said:

I would rate the SML Black E CIB a 10. This is the only one I have seen.
SML 2 Black E CIB a 9.5 I have seen 3
Donkey Kong Land Black E CIB a 8.5 I have seen 5
Donkey Kong Land 2 Black E CIB a 8.5 I have seen 5

for me i score it like thisre.jpg.9af0bff1a530ac770a908bd27f4b0cd7.jpg

so the manuals have a 10 as i don't know what version is the last version.

i do have a filling as we look more closely at the date codes of the box and pcb the manual version will be more available then we think. 

again i do have the feeling that the BLACK E's were part of a bundle and not sold as a stand alone. the numbers are showing that they were done during Pocket time frame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JVOSS said:

for me i score it like thisre.jpg.9af0bff1a530ac770a908bd27f4b0cd7.jpg

so the manuals have a 10 as i don't know what version is the last version.

i do have a filling as we look more closely at the date codes of the box and pcb the manual version will be more available then we think. 

again i do have the feeling that the BLACK E's were part of a bundle and not sold as a stand alone. the numbers are showing that they were done during Pocket time frame.

The manuals have the same date codes as the boxes. DKL -5 manual and DKL2 -2 manual are date code 991119 (boxes are also). SML -8 manual and SML2 -4 manual are 991117 (boxes are the same). So these manual were printed for this release only.

1 minute ago, RpgCollector said:

The manuals have the same date codes as the boxes. DKL -5 manual and DKL2 -2 manual are date code 991119 (boxes are also). SML -8 manual and SML2 -4 manual are 991117 (boxes are the same). So these manual were printed for this release only.

so the as the data shows for manual is as follows

DKL max rev is -5
DKL2 max rev is 2???
SML max rev is 8
SML2 max rev is 4.

did not expect to see that DKL2 so low of a rev in the manuals.

19 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

so the as the data shows for manual is as follows

DKL max rev is -5
DKL2 max rev is 2???
SML max rev is 8
SML2 max rev is 4.

did not expect to see that DKL2 so low of a rev in the manuals.

I checked eBay copies of DKL2 for years before I snagged my black E copy and have never seen a manual higher than -2. On eBay right now all manuals are no - and -1. There are 3 copies of the black E cart only DKL2 right now though. All above is correct.

Edited by RpgCollector

2 hours ago, JVOSS said:

I asked the young lady I bought the SML black E CIB where she bought it. She said  she worked in a game store in Dallas, Texas 10 years ago and a man traded in a large stack of CIB Gameboy games. She bought it from the store (as well as some other CIB, Final Fantasy Legend II -2 release also) and has had it ever since. 

I don't know why but at the end of 99 there was a huge rush, it seems, to re-releases popular Game About games. There's these titles as well as the Sunsoft stuff. I definitely remember reading somewhere about the Final Fantasy games coming. I was a HUGE of fan and I was super-excited to get a chance to collect all of them sealed, but it also seemed so odd cause it was 1999 and the GBA was already starting to get hyped.

• Like 1