IGNORED

Mario 3D World is overrated

Nintegageo

So just a rant as I am at the end o the game.

I think 3D World is super overrated. The camera is used as a sorta mechanic which is ridiculous. As such, the crappy camera angles have easily led to more deaths than the actual enemies.

Possibly a bottom 3 mainline Mario game imo.

Having written that.. it's a Mario game so while overatted obviously it is a pretty good game.

I bought it at launch, but I haven't opened it because it was meant as a birthday present for my son.  He will get it in early April.  He sort of knows he is getting it because I showed him the trailer when they first announced it and he said he wanted it for his birthday.  He has been watching YouTube videos of the game for weeks now, so I know he is excited.  Hopefully he won't be disappointed, but luckily since he is only 7, I don't think he will be as picky as you or I would be about camera angles.  For example, Joy Con drift doesn't really bother him since his skills aren't developed enough for it to really make a difference.  He just likes playing Mario games.  

• Like 1

Games like SM3W are always hard to criticize since while it's not the overflowing inspiration wonderland of SMG, it's still a really polished and creative platformer. Kind of low on the Mario scale, but still better than almost anything else in the genre. What is SM3W even competing with these days? A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee and... ? Playstation remakes?

Such a clickbait title XD

3D World is ment to accommodate 4 player mayhem, so the camera stays fixed and doesn’t let you spin it all around making your friends dizzy and send them into pits on “accident” 😉

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

What is SM3W even competing with these days? A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee and... ? Playstation remakes?

Adored Hat in Time.  Crash 4 and Fall Guys are good as well.

Edited by fox

My daughter, who is obsessed with Sonic and therefore 'hates' Mario, has completely flipped her opinion after we got 3D World for Wii U. It's currently her favorite game.

The best part about it (for me) is you can just turn into a bubble during multiplayer if you want a break, then join back in whenever.

• Like 1

I've been playing the old Super Mario games for my first time recently and I can say that Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 3D World all suffer from terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE controls. I died more deaths, cursed more words and tried to snap my controller in two over poor controls than any other reason.

In all 3 games (I haven't done Super Mario Galaxy yet), they suffer from this stupid somersault jump you do if you push the stick one way, then jerk it back in the other direction and jump. Mario does this super high, weird sideways somersault and throws me into a pit every time. I just want to do normal jumps, I've never had to use this.

In Super Mario 3D World there are some levels where the red / blue bricks alternate and you have to jump between them to get to the next platform. When you jump high enough, there's absolutely no way to tell how deep you are in the screen so you don't know where you'll land. I always found myself just hoping on a whim and a prayer that I was situated over the proper side of the platform and not the pit. It was infuriating.

I agree it has problems, but there are far worse games with Mario you could play.  It is true though, the partial 3D mechanic involved pivoting the camera at the worst times when I did the WiiU version caused a lot more deaths and in some cases me just skipping a star on a stage because it was purely infuriating bs having the world/camera combo kill you, not a screw up or an enemy attack.  That there is a sign of an issue, maybe not a huge one, since they had out 1UPs like candy, but it is.

It was made from 3D Land which benefited greatly from  the stereoscopic 3D. 3D Land might be been the best example of the use of 3D in the entire library for the 3DS. So when 3D World was rushed to market, I felt like the perspective of the 3D Land which was used to illustrate the 3DS capability was hard to overlook.

Long story short. 3D Land is a better game. 3D World was rushed due to the Wii U failing. 3D World for Switch wasn't polished like it should've been before rerelease. 

I love 3D World and don't think it's overrated. If anything, it's underrated. I prefer its camera to SMG and SMO, the levels are varied and fun to play through, the powerups are great, and the music is some of the best ever produced by Nintendo. I don't have the updated version so can't comment on Bowser's Fury but if it's anywhere near as fun as the base game that just makes it that much better.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, asmikace said:

I feel that Mario 3D world and New Super Mario Brothers are always the second tier Mario games that reuses existing idea instead of wild and new like Galaxy and Odyssey.

This is why I thought they fit so much better on the DS and 3DS than on the consoles. Mainly bc the handheld games were always sort of spin off of the console versions.

21 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I find the game overly easy and therefore boring. No challenge until the last world or two.

Between the Star/Mushroom/Flower courses and the green stars, this is definitely one of the harder mario games to complete.

3 hours ago, fox said:

Between the Star/Mushroom/Flower courses and the green stars, this is definitely one of the harder mario games to complete.

Potentially to 100% but I stand by what I said that I really didn't find a challenge in this game until star/crown world. It's starts to ramp up a little bit near the end of the main game but it's too little, too late. Worlds 1-6 are a snore fest. I got very little satisfaction out of 3D World or Odyssey for essentially the same reason; too easy, too forgiving.

18 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Potentially to 100% but I stand by what I said that I really didn't find a challenge in this game until star/crown world. It's starts to ramp up a little bit near the end of the main game but it's too little, too late. Worlds 1-6 are a snore fest. I got very little satisfaction out of 3D World or Odyssey for essentially the same reason; too easy, too forgiving.

There has definitely been a trend in recent years for first party Nintendo games to be pretty easy to get through the main part of the game to the ending.  Then the challenge comes from 100%ing the game by completing everything else.  I guess it's Nintendo's way of adding "difficulty settings" without having to add "difficulty settings."  Personally, I don't hate it because I have younger children and it's nice to see them enjoy the game and not get stuck with difficulty on level 2.  Obviously, some traditionalists will argue that games used to challenge you to get better and work your way through the game.  But it was different back then.  During the NES era, I was LUCKY to own 4 games during the entire lifespan of the NES.  We played the same games over and over and having that difficulty prevented them from getting stale.  Nowadays, we have hundreds, if not thousands of games to choose from and sometimes I enjoy being able to get through a game in a month or two and move onto something else.  

• Like 4

While not my favorite Mario game, my wife ended up really enjoying playing it together and so I'm finally getting through this game. She generally doesn't like platformers but the simultaneous gameplay and different powerups make it a lot of fun for her. She does play games regularly (mostly on XBOX) so this was the first Nintendo console game I managed to get her excited about so its always going to be a winner for me

• Like 2