IGNORED

Mario 3D World is overrated

Nintegageo

Finished World 7 tonight.  I have to say that my biggest frustration is that the camera has killed me more than every single enemy in the game combined.  I'm also a little surprised that 65% of the green stars are needed to gain entry into the final castle in world 7.  I've been getting 100% of the green stars as I've been going, so I had plenty, but I figured they were more optional than that.  I'm guessing that will hold up my kids when they get to that point since their skill level is pretty low.  

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the game about a week ago and I've been working on the levels in the secret worlds now.  The difficulty spike on the secrete worlds is significant, but not surprising.  I finished the main part of the game with all stars and stamps.  Overall, getting 100% on the main part of the game was much easier than doing the same in NSMBUD.  Overall, I enjoyed the game much more than I thought I would, but I still prefer 2D Mario games.  I'm hoping to be able to finish all of the secret worlds, but I don't know if I want to beat every level with every character.  That just sounds tedious for someone playing it by themselves.  

While I enjoyed the game, I still hate the camera and overall controls.  Nintendo can't quite seem to figure out cameras in 3D games for some reason.  

• Like 1

I played with my brothers last weekend and this thread is a pretty good summary of the game, especially the last post. The game is definitely tougher on multiplayer with more going on and the camera zooming in and out. The controls and camera could definitely use some tweaking. I think they used the camera angle as a gimmick for hidden stuff a little too much (worked better for Toad TT gameplay) and took away from the platforming a little. My brother really struggled with the view/camera and is typically pretty good at video games but he said he spent more time looking at the character shadow than the character itself. He had a tough time gauging the jumps. 

I also wasn't a huge fan of the speed burst either. I don't really remember that being an issue when I played originally but found it annoying in parts for multiplayer. Picking up the other character with Y was also the cause of some funny but preventable/unintentional deaths. 

I like the game but it does feel a bit off in physics and the camera function. I will also say the difficulty was much more appropriate on 2-3 players. 

@TDIRunnerbeating the game with everyone is really tedious and doesn't come with much gratification from my experience. Maybe a 2nd play through with a tougher character to use or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

@TDIRunnerbeating the game with everyone is really tedious and doesn't come with much gratification from my experience. Maybe a 2nd play through with a tougher character to use or something. 

I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this.  Do you need to get every character to hit to top of the pole, or just one character?  I know you eventually need to finish every level with every character to get 100%, and I know you need to get a gold flag on every level, but I can't figure out if the gold flag is with all characters, or just one.  

On 4/30/2021 at 5:49 PM, TDIRunner said:

I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this.  Do you need to get every character to hit to top of the pole, or just one character?  I know you eventually need to finish every level with every character to get 100%, and I know you need to get a gold flag on every level, but I can't figure out if the gold flag is with all characters, or just one.  

I am almost certain you only need to get the top of the flag pole once regardless of character.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I am almost certain you only need to get the top of the flag pole once regardless of character.

That makes the most sense to me.  I'm 3 levels into the Flower world, so just 9 more levels plus the 3 crown levels.  So far, I have all stars, stamps, and gold flags for every level I've completed.  I plan to finish everything with Mario, and maybe at a later date go through the levels again with the other characters.  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 4:07 PM, Code Monkey said:

I've been playing the old Super Mario games for my first time recently and I can say that Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 3D World all suffer from terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE controls. I died more deaths, cursed more words and tried to snap my controller in two over poor controls than any other reason.

In all 3 games (I haven't done Super Mario Galaxy yet), they suffer from this stupid somersault jump you do if you push the stick one way, then jerk it back in the other direction and jump. Mario does this super high, weird sideways somersault and throws me into a pit every time. I just want to do normal jumps, I've never had to use this.

Interesting, I've never found mario 64 to have bad controls, but I've played it in very formative years, so maybe I just grew around it. Very surprised you never use the somersault. That's the fastest way to get up to higher platforms. Stopping to crouch and back jump is both slow and doesn't give you facing to grab onto ledges. Somersault by comparison is great for that. I'd recommend trying it more often.

Are you using an N64 controller, and an original one, not a 3rd party?

I won't defend sunshine as it was just a retread, but it wasn't bad. You could tell they added the FLUDD to make up for people who complained about 3D platforming though.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:51 AM, Shmup said:

Bit surprised this game is getting so much hate. It’s not my favourite Mario but I enjoyed the variety of levels and the final worlds are a good challenge. Never had any issues with the camera either. Must be playing a different version haha.

I just thought it was totally uninspired. The controls weren't such a big deal as I had played 3D Land; The problem was really that I had played 3D Land, and so the only gimmick for World was that it was multiplayer.

Most of my memory of Mario between 2005 and 2017 is of ugly, generic, insulting titles like the new super mario bros games. They discovered a money printer and spent a solid decade making try soulless imitation mario. This continued to infect 3D Land and world as well, but at least being 3D gave me value as I like 3D gaming a lot. Once World was just more of the same (again) but with less interesting gimmicks, I was done pretty much from the start. That the game was sleep-inducingly easy was another problem; I have no reason to suffer through Nintendo's training wheels at this point in my life, utter waste of time.

It's a bit sad, as even galaxy was a lacking title despite being some nice audiovisual popcorn (galaxy is a real theme park game, walk through to see all the attractions and then leave). There was no good reason to play it again, and forget playing galaxy 2 twice just for one hard course. Such a fantastic waste of time. Sadder still is Odyssey feeling too much like an oversized flat world. I wish they had been more constricted and forced to push more platforming. Don't feel like any level in that game compared to something like Tick Tock Clock, though in odyssey's defense, ultimately I do appreciate that they're finally making a damn effort again.

😂 Listening to people trash all these Mario games... As if there’s something comparatively better.

If Nintendo games are so bad then just don’t play them. But instead some people keep on playing through them, while simultaneously flinging crap all over them. 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:54 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

I finally unlocked Crown World today and once you have that, it starts to list which characters have beaten which levels.  I was able to confirm today, that you only need to get the gold flag (top of the pole) with once character.  After that, you just need to finish each level (any height on the pole) with the rest of the characters.

I officially have 4 shinning stars on my save profile.  Not much left to do.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I got 5 stars on my save file which is odd, because I thought that signified 100% game completion.  However, I still have two levels left to complete in the Crown World.  I can confirm that I've 100% completed everything else in the game, so I guess the 5 stars represents 100% completion outside of the Crown World.  I'm still missing 23 stars and 7 stamps which I will get if I can ever finish those last two levels (both of which can kiss my ass).   

vcbu1dzvu42814u6g.jpg

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Tonight I got 5 stars on my save file which is odd, because I thought that signified 100% game completion.  However, I still have two levels left to complete in the Crown World.  I can confirm that I've 100% completed everything else in the game, so I guess the 5 stars represents 100% completion outside of the Crown World.  I'm still missing 23 stars and 7 stamps which I will get if I can ever finish those last two levels (both of which can kiss my ass).   

vcbu1dzvu42814u6g.jpg

Yeah,  I think it's 100% up to and including the flower world for some reason. Also, I took a quick look at a YT video to verify and all the comments were 7 years old... holy shit how time flies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the rerelease on Switch and, man, was that first world tough to play through. I just played through 3D Land and then went to Odyssey and after those, this 3D World is feeling flat. 

I actually loved Odyssey my 2nd time through, much more than my first play through and I was hoping 3D world would hook me like Odyssey had. Hopefully the 2nd world is easier to stomach. 

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I just got the rerelease on Switch and, man, was that first world tough to play through. I just played through 3D Land and then went to Odyssey and after those, this 3D World is feeling flat. 

I actually loved Odyssey my 2nd time through, much more than my first play through and I was hoping 3D world would hook me like Odyssey had. Hopefully the 2nd world is easier to stomach. 

I thought the first world was pretty boring and I had a bad feeling about the game.  But luckily, the game gets way more fun after the first world.  It's never really very difficult through the main part of the game.  Once you get to the secret worlds, it starts to get challenging.  

21 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I thought the first world was pretty boring and I had a bad feeling about the game.  But luckily, the game gets way more fun after the first world.  It's never really very difficult through the main part of the game.  Once you get to the secret worlds, it starts to get challenging.  

I remembered it getting better but I couldn't remember when. I just got through the 2nd world and it was significantly better than the first and I'm looking forward to the 3rd world. 

I am just struggling so hard w the camera. It's doesn't lend itself to a 3D world as much as I want it too. Mario games, forever struggling w the damn camera 😐

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I am just struggling so hard w the camera. It's doesn't lend itself to a 3D world as much as I want it too. Mario games, forever struggling w the damn camera 😐

True.  True.  True.  True.

Unfortunately, that will not get better as you go.  I mentioned this earlier, but I was killed by the camera more then every single enemy in the game combined.  

• 1 month later...

I guess you could say I enjoyed it: 

IMG20210727155731.jpg.08a7f9de4a6d05c0643a3eb390e230df.jpg

Solid game, just spent two weeks beating it!

I'd agree with some of the comments here about camera angles or whatever, but the game locks your movement into like 8 different directions, so it's pretty easy to adjust to basically whatever the game wants you to do.

My kids absolutely love it too, probably the game they've played the most, they got all the way to world flower on their own, I'm pretty proud of them!

Personally, tho I really DISLIKE the multiplayer, the the characters just get in each others way and it makes the game WAY more difficult than it should be.

But yeah single player I'd give it an easy 8.5 outta 10 or whatever.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1