IGNORED

Switch controllers...

Andy_Bogomil

Hey all, seeing what everyone is using for Switch controllers. I've been looking into getting a new controller and was interested to see what people's 'go to' controller is and if anyone had recommendations.

I was initially using the joy-cons but they're pretty rinky-dinky and the left joystick went to shit almost immediately with drifting and unresponsiveness (but that's not an issue, right, Nintendo? 😛 ). I opted to buy a wired controller a few years ago with a solid d-pad and went for the one below; the pdp 'faceoff wired pro' controller. It's honestly a pretty good controller for the price with a few exceptions. The d-pad is a little mushy, the shoulder buttons are a little too close to the front putting a little bit of tension between your thumb and pointer finger, and the + button is too close to the Y button resulting in accidental pauses from time to time. It is missing some features such as rumble and amiibo support but is overall not too bad and even has programmable trigger buttons which was a plus considering the price point. It's more or less what you'd expect for a $25 controller.

Faceoff Wired Pro Controller from PDP for Nintendo Switch | GamesReviews.com

The new controller I was looking at are these PowerA Enhanced Wireless controllers, It looks like they've made some changes from the first set with a rechargeable battery instead of taking 2xAAs, can connect through usb, supports motion controls, and still retains the 2 programmable back buttons.  They look pretty slick and are cheaper than the pro controller. Reviews actually appear to be a bit better than the Pro controller online but that could come down to preference. Anyone use one of these yet? I think I will likely get one to try out at the very least.

PowerA Enhanced Wireless Controller for Switch - White | Best Buy Canada

• Like 1

I just use the Switch Pro Controller.  It's one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used.  I try to avoid the Joy Cons as much as possible.  The Pro Controller is a little pricey, but the quality is great and the battery lasts forever.  

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 7

Switch Pro and a new pair of red/blue joycons I got in the last few weeks.  One of my original gray ones (R) works fine, but part of the insides of the other failed.  Nintendo and their overly hair thin piece of plastic to hold the ribbon down degraded into bits, couldn't keep the ribbon in contact anymore so it was effectively dead.  Not sure what dumb idea maker they had going with something that thin, but whatever, at least it wasn't a drifting mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I was looking at these too... how do you find it? Pretty similar feel to an original SNES controller?

So much better having a proper d-pad rather than the c buttons.  Feels very similar to the original snes pad, but with all the extra sticks and buttons you need to make it work with Switch games.  It’s also Bluetooth, so you can use it on your pc or other devices.

• Like 2

Pro Controller when docked and the Hori Split Pad Pro when portable. The Pro Controller is definitely Nintendo's best modern controller yet, although still a bit behind the newer Xbox controllers for me. I've heard the Power A controllers are quite good and will definitely save you some cash. I find the artwork on the Power A controllers to be of surprisingly high quality across the board and I've actually considered collecting them just to display.

As for portable... Well, once you upgrade to the Split Pad Pro, you can't go back to the standard Joycons.

71jQuPjG9PL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4

Always something with Nintendo... just read that their accessibility option for changing controller input ONLY works for first party Nintendo controllers even though the PowerA ones are licensed/compatible with the Switch. Very frustrating as I was looking to get a controller with back buttons that could also be customized within the Switch menu. Funny enough, the 8bitdo controller come with a program to do it yourself but they also don't have back buttons. Haha why must things be so needlessly complicated!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Always something with Nintendo... just read that their accessibility option for changing controller input ONLY works for first party Nintendo controllers even though the PowerA ones are licensed/compatible with the Switch. Very frustrating as I was looking to get a controller with back buttons that could also be customized within the Switch menu. Funny enough, the 8bitdo controller come with a program to do it yourself but they also don't have back buttons. Haha why must things be so needlessly complicated!

Actually, 8bitdo has a new controller with back buttons they just announced.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Actually, 8bitdo has a new controller with back buttons they just announced.

https://www.8bitdo.com/pro2/

Wow... nice. thanks for sharing. Gonna wait it out then to see if either Nintendo expands the config to 3rd party or this comes out and I can give it a try. I wonder how these controllers work for online games. This comes with a macros/turbo function... seems like it could be abused pretty badly for certain situations like auto fire or one button combos.

I love the nintendo pro controller, my launch one has seen at least 1000 hours of use but now has a bit of drift to it. I like it so much I put up with it. Those chonky face buttons are perfect for my hands.

I wanna try 8bitdo and the hori split pad but the only non nintendo thing I have is this adapter

https://hackinformer.com/2019/01/20/review-coovs-n100-pro-adapter-for-switch/

The coov n100 is a super cheap converter to potentially use ps4, xbone etc controllers wireless as well as wired, I have only used it to connect 360 arcade/fight sticks to the switch and for that purpose its been great. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 9:23 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

Anybody try out on of those 8bitdo pro 2 controllers? I'm probably gonna grab one when they get restocked. 

It looks pretty awesome.  I might have to grab one as well.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:08 PM, Andy_Bogomil said:

I was looking at these too... how do you find it? Pretty similar feel to an original SNES controller?

I have it too i think it's quite shitty i was using it for MAME and it kept registering wrong inputs up instead of right that type of bullshit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cartman said:

I have it too i think it's quite shitty i was using it for MAME and it kept registering wrong inputs up instead of right that type of bullshit.

hmmm.. interesting. Thanks for the input. Already ordered one of the pro 2 models so hopefully it works without issue. It's through amazon, so if it acts up it's an easy return. Frustrating how shitty all this stuff seems to be these days, especially for the price. I been through a few PS4 controllers, joycons, and the Switch controller I mentioned in the original post is now acting up sporadically.