IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Lol the one glimmer of hope I had was maybe he didnt pay enough attention to know I like dem racers. Joking aside, thats a really big compliment coming from you and deaf

I'm hoping that @Jeevan picks Chase HQ since that's the only one of those games that I've even heard of.

4 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

There's a chance it might be me...Ah well, was fun while I lasted 😛

It looks like I don't have to worry about it until the third round. I'd have to survive this first round Famicom nonsense and then hope the format goes back to NES games to even have a chance to make it that far.

40 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Proposal: Any two of @Dr. Morbis, @NESfiend, or @PII pick the Keroppi game, which forces @0xDEAFC0DE out of his puzzle comfort zone and into an actual competition instead of a guaranteed advancement.  Just a thought.

I dont understand this proposal. Its not majority rule and we all play the same game. Deaf gets to pick what he wants to play and thats that.

Score update to jump @Bearcat-Doug. Needed to be done. I actually made it to level 2 boss, but photo there is too big to upload. 

For anyone who made it passed there, how the hell did you manage magic in that last corridor going into boss? Those 3 big dragons drain you and boss seems pretty impossible without magic. 

Oops- I thought this was the holy diver thread!

Edited by NESfiend

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

For anyone who made it passed there, how the hell did you manage magic in that last corridor going into boss? Those 3 big dragons drain you and boss seems pretty impossible without magic.

I used up all my magic in the dragon corridor: freezing the ceiling dwellers and then using the double shot on the dragons, and went into the boss with zero magic, knowing I didn't need any, because............. pro tip!  If you hold right and get in behind the boss right away before he has a hit box, you can plug away at him at your leisure without a worry in the world!  Easiest boss in the game!

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

pro tip!  If you hold right and get in behind the boss right away before he has a hit box, you can plug away at him at your leisure without a worry in the world!  Easiest boss in the game!

Wow. Im glad I was preoccupied and only got to try that section once on one life because I never would have figured that out. And I would have kept trying and failing and been really pissed. Thanks for sharing!

Holy diver was pretty damn cool. Would love to see it on the schedule again. Probably would have gotten tons more play if it had been done during the first half of the season. With standings all pretty well set, seems like a lot of us missed a great game here

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Wow. Im glad I was preoccupied and only got to try that section once on one life because I never would have figured that out. And I would have kept trying and failing and been really pissed. Thanks for sharing!

Holy diver was pretty damn cool. Would love to see it on the schedule again. Probably would have gotten tons more play if it had been done during the first half of the season. With standings all pretty well set, seems like a lot of us missed a great game here

Yeah, a game like Contra or Super C should be last in a long season like this, because even though it's meaningless, a lot more people would come out of the woodwork and be like, "oh man, I love that game!  I'm playing this week fo' sho'!!!"

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Was kinda the same with Ghosts N Goblins last year.  Last game / very challenging = few gamers with much left to prove / energy they wish to expend, and a select few show up to appreciate one of the best games ever.. 😞 

Just now, PII said:

Was kinda the same with Ghosts N Goblins last year.  Last game / very challenging = few gamers with much left to prove / energy they wish to expend, and a select few show up to appreciate one of the best games ever.. 😞 

Yeah, even this game: I like Holy Diver, but if I hadn't been in the running for the genre, I would have played exactly one game and then taken my picture...

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I dont understand this proposal. Its not majority rule and we all play the same game. Deaf gets to pick what he wants to play and thats that.

There's a rule that no game can be picked more than twice. So, since I'm fourth and the picks happen in placement order, Wiz wants two of the three of you above me to pick the puzzle game so that I can't pick it.

9 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Just a suggestion, since we all know there's no competition if @0xDEAFC0DE gets the puzzle game 😛

And it's not like I have a stake in it, as I'll be finishing too high to get that matchup anyway.  Was just a thought I had 😛

But the real question is would they be confident playing a puzzle game. It's not like they would benefit much from me not having a puzzle game. I'm sure I'll be fine without it.

4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

But the real question is would they be confident playing a puzzle game. It's not like they would benefit much from me not having a puzzle game. I'm sure I'll be fine without it.

It's why it was a suggestion and not a "do it up" 😛 We all know who wins if you get to play Keroppi.  We don't know what happens with any other scenario.  Alternatively, I'd challenge you to willingly come out of that comfort zone yourself, but that's far less likely due to the reality - who in a competition would forgo a guaranteed win? I sure wouldn't.  Of course, I have yet to see if there's anything coded in the game to make it exploitable, but based on the era, there's obviously gonna be something there 😛

32 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

It's why it was a suggestion and not a "do it up" 😛 We all know who wins if you get to play Keroppi.  We don't know what happens with any other scenario.  Alternatively, I'd challenge you to willingly come out of that comfort zone yourself, but that's far less likely due to the reality - who in a competition would forgo a guaranteed win? I sure wouldn't.  Of course, I have yet to see if there's anything coded in the game to make it exploitable, but based on the era, there's obviously gonna be something there 😛

The main reason I want to play it is because I'll have a lot more fun. I've played a bit already and enjoyed it. 

The scoring system is too simple to be exploited I think. I'm not even going to bother looking through the code as I doubt I'll find anything useful. Still, through normal play I have found a few scoring tricks that aren't obvious. 

50 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The main reason I want to play it is because I'll have a lot more fun. I've played a bit already and enjoyed it. 

The scoring system is too simple to be exploited I think. I'm not even going to bother looking through the code as I doubt I'll find anything useful. Still, through normal play I have found a few scoring tricks that aren't obvious. 

I'll be honest, I was actually hoping to play ya in the tournament, specifically to play it.  It looked like it'd be fun...maybe not my first choice, but better than the license would suggest.  Also that I feel like it'd be my own best shot at a good performance 😛

16 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Well Im all about doing what I can to help out, but choosing to play a puzzle game when there are non puzzle games available? Hellll to the nooooo. 

18 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

So with the rule wiz and deaf alluded to, that 8/9 matchup with @Jeevanand @Bearcat-Dougwill be even more interesting. Jeevie will be stuck with whatever game is left. Probably the puzzler. Don't see anyone other than deaf picking that

I'm guessing @0xDEAFC0DE picks the puzzle game so god only knows what will be left by the time @Jeevan picks. You could always be cool and leave Chase HQ for us. 😂

16 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Please pick the puzzle game. I don't want stuck playing that. I tried watching a YouTube video and it looked like the SMB 3 map screen with frogs. I didn't have any idea what was going on.

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

So with the rule wiz and deaf alluded to, that 8/9 matchup with @Jeevanand @Bearcat-Dougwill be even more interesting. Jeevie will be stuck with whatever game is left. Probably the puzzler. Don't see anyone other than deaf picking that

Dude, there are 5 games to pick from.  8th place will 99% have two games to pick from as a result, with a 1% chance of getting 3.  There were initially 4 games on the list in total, but I lobbied for a fifth to make the 8th place guy still have a choice.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm guessing @0xDEAFC0DE picks the puzzle game so god only knows what will be left by the time @Jeevan picks. You could always be cool and leave Chase HQ for us. 😂

depends on when it is and what is going on as to whether or not I am able to participate, work is getting crazy, and vgs stuff is hectic as well.  I got a lot to do my friends!