IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2021**

guillavoie

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Honestly, that's probably why the idea didn't work out last time. It sounded fun in theory, but you are expecting people to show up every week and play at 100% which is a lot to ask.

Yeah, I only try when it comes to games that I like. I sometimes even skip sports weeks.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I say let mods decide how to pick captains

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They are likely reading this thread and shaking their heads at our madness.

ya i dont think they will want anything to do with this. if im wrong thats sweet but i wasnt expecting any help.

12 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The solo competition is bogged down by broken games, convoluted rules and lack of participation from those outside the top 6 or so.  And y'all wanna add more to the mix?  Let's get the solo shit down before we start working on teams.

Figuring out rule sets for broken games has been a hallmark of these contests since the beginning. Most NES games have broken scoring.

Just now, mbd39 said:

Figuring out rule sets for broken games has been a hallmark of these contests since the beginning. Most NES games have broken scoring.

Most have straightforward scoring that is easily manipulated.  The outright broken games, however, should simply not be played.  Of course, most would come to light pretty easily by simply playing the game for an hour or so before picking it as a contest title.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Honestly, that's probably why the idea didn't work out last time. It sounded fun in theory, but you are expecting people to show up every week and play at 100% which is a lot to ask.

You guys are thinking about this all wrong.  You don't have all of your team compete every week - you rotate in and out based on abilities.  So Galaga comes up and you have this big ugly ol' Tapeworm on your team who immediately hardens up and becomes fully rigid at the thought of shredding the shit out of another shooter, so you throw him in against whoever the other team puts forth.  Team members play as much or as little as they want to make themselves available.  If no one wants to play a given game, the Captain either chooses someone or plays himself, so he has to be the most dedicated.

THAT's how you do it!  Just make sure this is a completely different Contest from the Weekly NES Contest, because I don't need anybody's help to stay at the top of the Singles leaderboard... 😛

3 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You guys are thinking about this all wrong.  You don't have all of your team compete every week - you rotate in and out based on abilities.  So Galaga comes up and you have this big ugly ol' Tapeworm on your team who immediately hardens up and becomes fully rigid at the thought of shredding the shit out of another shooter, so you throw him in against whoever the other team puts forth.  Team members play as much or as little as they want to make themselves available.  If no one wants to play a given game, the Captain either chooses someone or plays himself, so he has to be the most dedicated.

THAT's how you do it!  Just make sure this is a completely different Contest from the Weekly NES Contest, because I don't need anybody's help to stay at the top of the Singles leaderboard... 😛

You’re a towel.

3B6F79D9-5965-464B-A8F4-E33584ED358A.gif

Edited by Richardhead
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The solo competition is bogged down by broken games, convoluted rules and lack of participation from those outside the top 6 or so.  And y'all wanna add more to the mix?  Let's get the solo shit down before we start working on teams.

It's worked pretty damn well for going on 14 years, so I'd say it's pretty much a success, at this point.  I don't always like the rule sets, but that's about my only complaint now that the post-season tournament has been properly sorted out... 🙂

And this is a pretty small corner of the internet, so I don't know exactly how many participants you could properly expect to submit scores week in and week out for a competition such as this.  Six is a good number, ten would be better, but we're at relatively par for the course based on what I've seen from past years.  It's not like we're ever going to have 50 guys posting scores each and every week, even when NA was at its height...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The solo competition is bogged down by broken games, convoluted rules

I couldnt disagree more. 2 examples of broken games in 2 seasons at 24 weeks a season? Thats a pretty outstanding record in my mind. There are lots of games I wouldnt have enjoyed much but for the rule sets in the competition. But thats the way of the world. What goes wrong 1% of the time is better conversation than 99% of things going right. 

@docile tapewormidea for chosing one game per cat could def work. @Dr. Morbissuggestion seems kind of cool too!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@docile tapewormidea for chosing one game per cat could def work.

If you choose one game per genre as the team game, you suddenly only have three games for each genre to determine genre champs, and that's too few.  And if you add one more game to each genre to compensate, then the season becomes too long.  The only viable solution is you make a completely separate competition NOT tied to the Weekly NES Competition, then people can choose to participate in one or the other or both...

9 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you choose one game per genre as the team game, you suddenly only have three games for each genre to determine genre champs, and that's too few.  And if you add one more game to each genre to compensate, then the season becomes too long.  The only viable solution is you make a completely separate competition NOT tied to the Weekly NES Competition, then people can choose to participate in one or the other or both...

im not trying to seperate anything. we will all play the same as always. just have the points go towards a seperate team point total. if you dont want to play the teams thing thats fine it wont affect you.

like for example if members of the team im on finish top three and one member finishes 10th our team gets 33 points towards the team championship.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

If you choose one game per genre as the team game, you suddenly only have three games for each genre to determine genre champs, and that's too few. 

There are 6 genres, so thats 6 games for what will likely be a 3 man team on each side. Like skinny said, its just an extra incentive for the team players to play each week, and if it aint for you, cool. Its like a side bet in a poker game. Everyone involved is already playing in the game, just an extra reason to wake up now and again. 

But it could help grow the contest overall too. If it gets a couple more members each year, thats a couple more people who will play more consistently and get more into it

• Agree 2

Okay, then I don't get it: so nothing's changing at all except that you're adding up some numbers differently once in a while?  So if someone had officially announced that they were a team at the start of this year then someone else would've added up some numbers and compared them to the other trio's numbers?  To what end?

I still don't get it, but I'm here to stay, so I'll be in... 😉

16 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Dont forget @Krunch.  Dude can shred

Thanks.  But I think Skinny's tapewom's sixth sense can tell I wasn't fully engaged this year.  I mostly am just coming in late on the Sunday, which to my credit used to be always a complete no-go, but still isn't really the way I like to approach.  My sub-optimal hardware situation has had a hampering effect.  I'm the type where if I start underperforming mid-season I basically knuckledrag for the rest and then give it the college try in the tournament.  I'm going to essentially sell off my Powerpak (CF cards are basically obsolete and annoyingly difficult to find locally) and fund an Everdrive with it.

@docile tapeworm Teams idea is kinda interesting to try, it'd be a radical switch-up but it might be a nice change for a season.  It would maybe take the pressure off a little bit moreso I mean the real-life pressure for people, not so much the challenge, the challenge is still there. 

But what's a more interesting prospect, 2 teams, or many teams?  2 teams affords people less individual pressure and is easier to build rules for.  It's epic in the sense that even having a genre beast on your team in a given week doesn't guarantee it when it doesn't do much for the average.  3 teams technically can do all this too while dispersing the "credit" more prosperously.

Teams made of 4 or 5, maybe would feel like a deeper social dynamic, I personally would enjoy being on a team like this, you have to rise to the challenge a little more and there's a tighter-knit working together.  You can specialize your team a bit still - for example if we were to do small teams don't pick Krunch if you want your team to win Shooter Genre. 

There's a glaring problem which is that you would need commitment with multiple teams and so then what happens with people who just want to play every once in a while, or just happen to play in a random contest for a game they dig?  Only thing I could think of so far is having a Neutral team where you put points from non-team contestants.  I think it'd be a big upset if that goddamn Neutral team won it

• Like 1

I never even realized this was more suggested as a side thing with all I wrote.  I still stand by it.  But really if you run normal + teams both at once I still think it retains a good social dynamic.  Could be measured with the sum of a team's in-game points, to differentiate it from the normal leaderboard of contest points.  That's fun for shit like Gradius, Gradius 2 and other great shooters.  And pinball games like Pinball.

3 hours ago, Krunch said:

I never even realized this was more suggested as a side thing with all I wrote.  I still stand by it.  But really if you run normal + teams both at once I still think it retains a good social dynamic.  Could be measured with the sum of a team's in-game points, to differentiate it from the normal leaderboard of contest points.  That's fun for shit like Gradius, Gradius 2 and other great shooters.  And pinball games like Pinball.

like @NESfiend had mentioned, it will be a side bet. we pick two teams playground style then we pick one game from each genre to count towards team point totals. it wont mess with the individual weekly contest at all.

@Krunch and i agree the social angle would be cool. im terrible at tetris so if thats the puzzle game my teamates are gonna be like shit, but maybe give me some pointers too. and i would want to do the best i could because i would want to help out my teamates. where as individually i just get participation. and tetris isnt a bad game its a good game, we would certainly pick the best games of each genre so it wouldnt be like i was trying so hard to get good at a junk game. and if i end up progressing in my tetris skill my teamates are happy for me and i did my best to help out the team. and the encouragement and recognition from my fellow gaming peers is worth alot to me. this also helps with not being able to play hard every week. i will know what six games are for team competition, so a dad like me, can focus on those six games. where i dont have time to play hard every week. so only olaying in the 6 team games could still give me some individual satisfaction of playing good and group satisfaction of helping the team. where as if i play six games individually it really doesnt do anything for me, as ive only played in six games and havent won anything and havent made a dent on the overall standings.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

like @NESfiend had mentioned, it will be a side bet. we pick two teams playground style then we pick one game from each genre to count towards team point totals. it wont mess with the individual weekly contest at all.

I definitely think I'd step up to the plate more if it happened to be a team week.  also scoring individual points simultaneously, those would be truly competitive weeks even moreso than what we've seen.  In all the best games where the extra drive matters (yes I agree for some random filler game it wouldnt live up to the hype)